Hp No Power Up Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp No Power Up Issue

I am having and issue with two different Hp PC's. One is a core I5. The other has the AMD Vision four core cpu. When the power button is pushed these units will not power up. I have gotten these things to start working again by doing the following things. First unplug the A/C core. Then I disconnected both plugs from the PSU to the main board. I then held the power button down for a few seconds to discharge the MB caps. Then I pluged everything back in and the PC's booted as normal. Could this be caused by a low cmos battery? Both of the units are three years old or so.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Hp No Power Up Issue

Nope. The only thing that will happen if the CMOS battery goes flat is that it will start losing the date and time and other BIOS settings. It never stops the PC from POSTing or powering on (at least for 99.99999% of motherboards). It might be the PSUs. Or possibly something else with the motherboard.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

your a bit off with that number, a pretty large number of modern intel boards need the battery to start.

that said, once it does start, you can check the battery voltage in the bios.
      it may not be acurate, but it will be enough - if the battery is under 2.5v in the bios it's done.
      infact under 2.9 and it's going fast.

Comment

I haven't seen a board that won't POST without the battery installed - including plenty of Intel boards.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

What PSU's are in them?

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            I haven't seen a board that won't POST without the battery installed - including plenty of Intel boards.
            try some of the ATOM based boards.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              your a bit off with that number, a pretty large number of modern intel boards need the battery to start.

that said, once it does start, you can check the battery voltage in the bios.
              it may not be acurate, but it will be enough - if the battery is under 2.5v in the bios it's done.
              infact under 2.9 and it's going fast.
              Huh, never seen this before. Well, Intel has done it again!

What power supplies are in these? I think you should check the 5v standby voltage to see if it is good.
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I can't do anything right now. The PC is 85 miles away from me and I'm sick with the flu anyway. I need to be feeling better before I go down there and tackle her POS.
                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                X