Athlon & SSE and SSE2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athlon & SSE and SSE2

I've run into a little hardware issue with this Frankenputer I just put together. Its and ECS K7S5A mobo, 1ghz Athlon CPU, and 1 gig of ram. I like to watch movies on Netflix. To do this you have to have MS Silverlight installed. When I went to install it I got an error. The installer said that my CPU doesn't support SSE. What can I do to fix this? Can it even be fixed? My OS is Xp Home Sp3 fully updated and legal.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Athlon & SSE and SSE2

Must be a Thunderbird Athlon. TBirds dont have SSE instructions. Easiest Fix is to get a Athlon XP or later Duron (Morgan or later)..

Comment

athlon xp starts at 1.3ghz. A 1.0 has to be t-bird or original. Max cpu is 2400+ because of the 133mhz fsb. You can get an athlon mobile and try to overclock it with the multiplier.

I had the same motherboard, caps died and took the CPU with it.

Comment

I'll check into that. All it says under system in windows xp is Athlon 1ghz. I need to redope the heat sink on the CPU anyway. Whats a good price in the used market on this AMD Athlon Xp cpu that I need?
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

Well NxB I guess its and old dog, and you can't teach and old dog new tricks. I did see some bios updates on the ECS site that were ment to make the board support faster, newer Cpu's. When I'm not so tired I will look at that stuff again.
          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

A cpu is like $6-10

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260425230618

Comment

The highest you can get is a "Throughbred" 2400+. There are 2600+ floating around but rare.
              That 2200+ will have the SSE instructions. Its a CPU thing you cant get it via BIOS updates, unfortunately..

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                funny how the pic in the auction shows a relabeled fake CPU (possibly a Geode or Sempron)
                the label print is way too far up and those specific CPUs don't have the datamatrix serial number anymore (the box on the right)

auction
                http://i.ebayimg.com/09/!BT+hQggBGk~...eLi,Q~~_12.JPG

real one
                http://www.cpu-world.com/Images/uplo...L_00000732.jpg

Comment

This may help you.
                  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-5e6bb611b68d
                  Last edited by abbylee; 01-11-2015, 08:13 PM.

Comment

All the computers that I'm dealing with now have the SSE/SSE2 instruction sets. I gave way all the old stuff.
                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

I recall having issues with my Athlon XP Thoroughbred because it was lacking instructions required in the newest Adobe Flash, seems like it needed SSE2 instructions or something rather...

Though something still seems wrong. I thought my Celeron (Tualatin) would have the same problem... but I thought it ran Flash fine... might be something else..

[EDIT]

No, it indeed does have the same problem and I retained the old Flash on it... Alas all of these machines are virtually retired now anyway.
                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 01-12-2015, 07:21 AM.

Comment

With my older PC's that didn't have the SSE/SSE2 instrucion set the progie that need same would alway warn me that the instruction set wasn't there.
                        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                        X