Samsung Syncmaster T220 - bad caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster T220 - bad caps?

Hi all I just got a Syncmaster T220 from a friend. I don't think he's ever used it. He buys a lot of stuff but just leaves it around.

Anyway I also own this monitor as well, since it's release in 2008. I wanted two of them really bad.

I hooked it up and saw there were lines through the screen, fuzziness, visible pixels, and some discoloration. The pixels kind of vibrate and move too.

I made sure it was not the cables, as I tested the good cable from the good monitor and did one monitor test at a time.

Here is a comparison of the good monitor vs the bad monitor.

Re: Samsung Syncmaster T220 - bad caps?

Maybe a problem with the cable from the panel to the board ? You should check that first. The caps in these units are Samyoung, not great. That's what I found in mine.

Be careful, those are a pain to take apart.

Comment

Do you mean an internal cable? Like I said I tested the monitor with a DVI cable and an HDMI-DVI cable made no difference.

I have never taken apart a monitor before.

Do you have this model?

Comment

Yes I'm talking about the internal cable. It might be damaged or unseated.

I do have this model, with the Samsung panel, I think some have a panel from AUOptronics. It was not powering up when I got it. A few components of the power supply board were bad (bridge rectifier, fuse, a mosfet and a thermistor).

Comment

Ok I am going to open it up and take some pictures I will be back.

Comment

how do I remove the back? I am using a tiny flat screw driver to try and pop it off but all I am doing is scratching it everywhere.

Comment

IIRC since I repaired it back in november, you have to remove the foot first. Then you have to remove the reddish/clear bezel by twisting it gently...easier said than done I know. You're very likely to break a tab or two, but it's not a problem.

Comment

what do you mean by the foot? I already removed the bottom part of the stand. It doesn't look like you can take off the other part attached to the monitor.

Comment

Huh yeah I meant the stand sorry :P I think there's a trick to remove it. I remember there are two screws underneath. Try to slide the foot down.

Here's how it looks apart (it's a T220HD, but apart from the additional connectors, it's the same) :

Here's the service manual :

And the thread I had created at the time, it might help : https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24215

Comment

hi I uploaded a picture I don't want to break anything. I have already scratched the clear bezel below the tabs.

my screwdriver is sticking out of one of the tabs.

I don't see any screws on the foot as you say.

Comment

I think you have to pull down the movable part of the stand to remove it.

Comment

I managed to do it I was looking at the manual linked me. It was pretty tight.

Ok I got it. Tons of chips on the bezel though that sucks.

step 3
                        Last edited by Takeover; 04-27-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

this is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I may have damaged a wire trying to pull it out with needle nose pliers. I stripped some of the plastic covering on it.

Comment

how did you get the function wire out?

Comment

one of the wires is literally hanging by a thread I fear I broke it.

and I just broke the function wire.

now it won't even turn on I bet.

please help I cannot get this function wire out. the plastic around it is all damaged and 2 wires are broken.

Last edited by Takeover; 04-27-2013, 06:29 PM.

Comment

ok, on top of it there is a clip, that latches inside. You need to push down on the clip, then wiggle the connector out. I'd push down on the clip with a screwdriver, then grab both ends of the connector with some needlenose pliers, and wiggle it out. The main thing is to make sure that clip on top is pushed down, so it will unlatch inside.

Comment

that's what I tried doing there are like no edges to pull. See from the picture? I damaged the tab and the sides it's all crumpled.

I got it out now just with a screwdriver pushing down really hard.

I broke every single wire off in the process.

That wire is to turn the monitor on.

Even if I fix the capacitors I won't be able to turn it on...

Comment

They can be reattached, it just takes some time and patience. That's the most important thing. To slow down and take your time. Even if this takes a week. ok?
                                    There is metal prongs that connect inside. They'll need to be pulled out and the wires attached later. No worries. Just take your time and everything should work out just fine. There's always somebody here to answer questions. Even if it takes awhile to get back.

Comment

thank you for your response.

Here is the pcb. The capacitors look fine to me but I am no expert. I see no bulge or leaking. Just some marks that look like felt pen on the top.

The bright is just my camera flash.

Comment

Ok. Somebody should have mentioned this already but this forum uses a "manage attachments" feature so the photos are not all attempting to load at once. It slows down the loading of the pages.
                                        See if you can edit your post and put those photos in using "manage attachments" and uploading them that way.
                                        Since the problem is fuzziness, and video problems....and you have power, video, and backlights, we can assume your power supply board is ok. The problem probably lies in your main board. The one that the video plugs into. Locate retiredcaps guide on testing voltage regulators. That's a good place to start. That's a common problem on the main board and would cause the problems you are seeing.
                                        I found the link for testing voltage regulators - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22231
                                        Last edited by Lumberjack777; 04-27-2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X