X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 Fat RLOD reflow and now overheating message

Hello!

Got a PS3 with RLOD.
    Reflowed the gpu on my hot air station, and when I tested it it turned on.
    Conected it to my LCD and left it here for maybe ten minutes.
    As I dont have the controller, it sat there on the start screen.
    I noticed that the fan started jumping from different stages to full load, and then I got a overheating message and asking to turn off the PS.

Whats the right approach here? Reballing the GPU?
    Or buying a new BGA ?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Re: PS3 Fat RLOD reflow and now overheating message

Did you replace the thermal paste?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      Did you replace the thermal paste?
      Hello!

Thanks for the reply!

Sure, cleaned all perfectly and replaced by new one.

Comment

No one with this issue on PS3 repair?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Do you have Nec/Tokin Proadlizer capacitors on your PS3 motherboard? These need to be replaced with surface mount tantalum capacitors.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            Do you have Nec/Tokin Proadlizer capacitors on your PS3 motherboard? These need to be replaced with surface mount tantalum capacitors.
            Hello!

Gonna check that when I'm at the office.

Could those capacitors be the responsible for the overheating message?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Yes.

Please see this thread:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8991
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Hello!

Just opened back the PS3 and looked for the "badcaps" NecTokin

Found 8 of them (!) , 4 on each side of the board.

Some pics are following.

Should I change'm all?
                If I must do so , I need 32 (!) 330 uF 2.5V ??

Or should I start by the 4 that feed the GPU and test?

Thanks for any inputs to know the best approach to this issue!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by magneh; 10-02-2014, 09:33 AM.

Comment

It may be a shorted thermal probe, if it's the same type that many thermometers use. (open would cause a false 0 C reading)
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Start at the GPU and then CPU with the NEC/TOKIN caps. I kinda doubt it is a bad thermal probe - otherwise it would display the overheating message from the start.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Start at the GPU and then CPU with the NEC/TOKIN caps. I kinda doubt it is a bad thermal probe - otherwise it would display the overheating message from the start.
                      So I should change the 2 of the top of the board near the GPU?
                      Or should I change 4 of them, 2 on top and 2 on bottom?
                      And then test it?

Gonna spend all tantalum caps in tha house !

Comment

Please dont touch components after trying this!
                        the PS3 rsx (gpu) and cell be (processor) uses these ugly ihs to dissepate. the problem of overheating lays under the ihs which is a pita to remove. i see you have managed somehow removing the gpu ihs. now, you need thermal paste, preferably as5 for the gpu chip and THERMAL GLUE for the ram chips.
                        If you jailbreaked your ps3, thats another story, you can show the temperatures using multiman and several othe homebrew softwares. In most cases you will notice that in fact its the CELL BE which overheats. removing the cell ihs requires maximum efforts http://bgamods.com/forum/viewtopic.p...it=ihs+removal

Comment

Originally posted by senndogg View Post
                          Please dont touch components after trying this!
                          the PS3 rsx (gpu) and cell be (processor) uses these ugly ihs to dissepate. the problem of overheating lays under the ihs which is a pita to remove. i see you have managed somehow removing the gpu ihs. now, you need thermal paste, preferably as5 for the gpu chip and THERMAL GLUE for the ram chips.
                          If you jailbreaked your ps3, thats another story, you can show the temperatures using multiman and several othe homebrew softwares. In most cases you will notice that in fact its the CELL BE which overheats. removing the cell ihs requires maximum efforts http://bgamods.com/forum/viewtopic.p...it=ihs+removal
                          Thanks for yur inputs Senndogg!
                          But now I'm in a dilemma.

First of all, the gpu ihs came allready like this when it came to me.
                          The PS didnt turn on, just blinked the red light.
                          I've reflowed GPU and now it turns on, but when on main screen to choose HDMI and video source, if I let it 2 mins without pressing any button, the fan starts to increase speed step by step, until overheating message.

Now that I've recieved some opinions regarding changing the NecTokin caps, I was going to do so.
                          Now that I've read your post, I'm kinda lost.
                          The PS isnt jailbreaked so I cant see which chip is getting overheating problems!

How can I proceed correctly from this point on?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

If you applied thermal paste enough and the fan is still kicking in loud then the issue is probably the thermal paste under processor CELL BE IHS.
                            Dont get me wrong The unique but this is typical if Fat Nand consoles. (In this case CECHC 4 usb and mem cards)

Comment

If you applied thermal paste enough and the fan is still kicking in loud then the issue is probably the thermal paste under processor CELL BE IHS.
                              Dont get me wrong The unique but this is typical if Fat Nand consoles. (In this case CECHC 4 usb and mem cards)
                              The fan starts normally...and about 1 min after turning it on I can hear it going to stage 2-3 and finally maximum fan speed in about 2-3 minutes.
                              It doesnt start at full load.

So you recommend removing the other IHS and apply new paste right?
                              Gonna see that post and try to do it ... do you recommend applying heat during process?

Cheers

Comment

Nope, no heat for the cell be. just follow the tutorial like the one at bgamods, the one i linked you. NEVER use a razor or edge like knife. In contrary to the rsx, the cell be ihs is glued with soft silicon, you need to cut it in less than 1mm space without touching the chip, crazy thing. whatever you do, dont rush, even you havent cut 10% in 30minutes.
                                than apply quality thermal paste to the sole chip and try to fix it just for a try. dont worry, the 2 big screws will tight that securely.

Comment

No offense taken senndogg, i don't do consoles and your theory makes sense. I'll let you handle this one.
                                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Its never too late The unique, I think you have all capabilities to do the nand/nor downgrade service. Start with the Teensy++ 2.0, which is a superb piece of hardware, costs just 24$ (half as a downgrade service) and if you are good enough with arduino programming you can make a decent programmer out of it.

Comment

the cell be ihs is glued with soft silicon, you need to cut it in less than 1mm space without touching the chip, crazy thing. whatever you do, dont rush, even you havent cut 10% in 30minutes.
                                      than apply quality thermal paste to the sole chip and try to fix it just for a try. dont worry, the 2 big screws will tight that securely.
                                      Sounds like the issue Intel's Ivy Bridge processors have. If hot at stock or a little OC, then take the IHS off and replace the TIM under the IHS.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

A bit OT, but you know, I've never even thought about there being TIM between IHS and the die... is that true on all CPUs? I guess it must be... and how long before it degrades and needs replacing?
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X