This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

As I said, the HDDs are all WD REs, but they were supplied to HP, which means no warranty.

The thin client is a HP t5135 (like )
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

i have one of those - i think it's that model.
      they are real good.
      you can install linux on it,
      and you can fit a CF-card slot on the board,
      and you can pull the flashdrive & fit a harddrive instead (ATA type) or an ide-cf adapter.

they are very flexable.

edit: no, i have a 5730
      be interesting to find how upgradeable yours is though.
      Last edited by stj; 05-22-2014, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Yeah but it is worh fixing more than buying new one good, stable, non-cheap ebay PSU with low ripple?
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Hi Fellow Scroungers

Decided it was time to unlurk and sign up so here we go with the recycling finds. Not dumpster but I've done pretty well without resorting to the dumpster, well, except for the cast aluminum hub caps for a set of VW Teardrop alloys....

So, at the office the Samsung monitor I was using died and after IT came around and said they had a few more dead ones I made the site manager an offer he couldn't refuse; give them all to me instead of dragging them to the recycler and I'll "see what I can do with them". Deal was "if I can fix any of them", I get first dibs for home and the next one comes back to the office (I was running 2 monitors and I figured they wouldn't replace the one that failed).

So, I scored a Samsung 225BW, a SA300 (LED backlight) and took the other Samsung back to the office so I had a matched pair. Cost me about $10.00 at my favorite electronics supermarket, Digikey, for some caps to fix 2 and the SA300 came back to life with a quick firmware update, I'm looking at it right now. We have a bunch more of the same Samsungs, I'm plotting the MTBF......

Then there was the MSI/Athlon 1200 at another office that died, more caps and it's my workshop computer.

So, a few have mentioned yard equipment, there's the power washer that a neighbor put out to the curb, he let it freeze & cracked a fitting so a little lathe time and shazam, new fitting!

And finally there's the lawn mower. I was looking for a new deck (would have been #3 for the engine) and the neighbor around the corner put a mower out to the curb for spring cleanup. It looked too new to be a tosser so I asked, the lady said take it, it doesn't work well so they got a new one. Got it home, tried it out, seemed to run OK, checked the blade, recently sharpened but........it was put back in backward! Score! Sold the old one for $75

Oh, and then there are the fluorescent lights in my workshop, freebies from the office shop renovations. Junked the 377VAC ballasts, put in new T8 electronic ones and instant energy saving industrial quality light for peanuts.

Just can't abide wasting perfectly good (or repairable) gear!

C152Heavy

Comment

Originally posted by C152Heavy View Post
            Hi Fellow Scroungers

Decided it was time to unlurk and sign up so here we go with the recycling finds. Not dumpster but I've done pretty well without resorting to the dumpster, well, except for the cast aluminum hub caps for a set of VW Teardrop alloys....

So, at the office the Samsung monitor I was using died and after IT came around and said they had a few more dead ones I made the site manager an offer he couldn't refuse; give them all to me instead of dragging them to the recycler and I'll "see what I can do with them". Deal was "if I can fix any of them", I get first dibs for home and the next one comes back to the office (I was running 2 monitors and I figured they wouldn't replace the one that failed).

So, I scored a Samsung 225BW, a SA300 (LED backlight) and took the other Samsung back to the office so I had a matched pair. Cost me about $10.00 at my favorite electronics supermarket, Digikey, for some caps to fix 2 and the SA300 came back to life with a quick firmware update, I'm looking at it right now. We have a bunch more of the same Samsungs, I'm plotting the MTBF......

Then there was the MSI/Athlon 1200 at another office that died, more caps and it's my workshop computer.

So, a few have mentioned yard equipment, there's the power washer that a neighbor put out to the curb, he let it freeze & cracked a fitting so a little lathe time and shazam, new fitting!

And finally there's the lawn mower. I was looking for a new deck (would have been #3 for the engine) and the neighbor around the corner put a mower out to the curb for spring cleanup. It looked too new to be a tosser so I asked, the lady said take it, it doesn't work well so they got a new one. Got it home, tried it out, seemed to run OK, checked the blade, recently sharpened but........it was put back in backward! Score! Sold the old one for $75

Oh, and then there are the fluorescent lights in my workshop, freebies from the office shop renovations. Junked the 377VAC ballasts, put in new T8 electronic ones and instant energy saving industrial quality light for peanuts.

Just can't abide wasting perfectly good (or repairable) gear!

C152Heavy
            FYI, there is another thread for scores not from curbs/dumpsters/trash piles... it's stickied too.

Nice scores anyway...
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

OK, so ratdude747 just pointed out to me that we have a non-dumpster score thread, go figure it was just below where I posted this:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=398

Now that I think of it there's another rescue from the office, a "Clevo" P4 laptop, no HD, good genuine XP Pro sticker though, picked up an "experienced" 80G for $20 and instant garage laptop/code reader.

Post 3 complete.

C152Heavy
              Last edited by C152Heavy; 05-23-2014, 10:49 PM.

Comment

and you have a lathe - damn i'm envious!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  and you have a lathe - damn i'm envious!
                  LOL! I wish, it was at the office, a previous office.......so I still want a lathe. None of those in the recycle pile.

C152Heavy

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    FYI, there is another thread for scores not from curbs/dumpsters/trash piles... it's stickied too.

Nice scores anyway...
                    Noted, go figure I hadn't seen that.

Linked.

C152Heavy

Comment

I've also had bad luck with WD 10K drives... I'm 4 for 6 on used 74GB's (There is one revison all 4 worked, and another where both died w/o warning). Go figure.
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 05-23-2014, 11:45 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

is that raptors?
                        if it is, you need a fan blowing across them or they cook extremely fast.

i did a good trick with one the other day,
                        i put it in the top of a mini-tower with a pair of 51/4>3.5 rails,
                        then put a sheet of cardboard across the case running from under the psu to under the drive and left the front plastic out.

the psu pulls it's air in across the drive now.

it's a very bad ghetto-bodge - but it's only temporary while i play wih the software & stuff.
                        once i get it going how i want - it's all going in a better case.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          is that raptors?
                          if it is, you need a fan blowing across them or they cook extremely fast.

i did a good trick with one the other day,
                          i put it in the top of a mini-tower with a pair of 51/4>3.5 rails,
                          then put a sheet of cardboard across the case running from under the psu to under the drive and left the front plastic out.

the psu pulls it's air in across the drive now.

it's a very bad ghetto-bodge - but it's only temporary while i play wih the software & stuff.
                          once i get it going how i want - it's all going in a better case.
                          Yup, they're raptors.

They don't have a fan but they're in a case designed for said drives (supermicro EATX). they have plenty of ventalation and run at acceptable temps.

This build predate's your return to the forum, so I'll provide a link:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29851

edit- skip ahead for the build; the first 75-100 posts or so are headbanging over stupid issues... heck, a RAM quirk wasn't solved until post 65...eventually the kinks were worked out ant it's been stable since (minus the update to be posted, which took some firmware hackery to get working). Post #105 has a good summary on the HDD issues.

Looks like I never posted an update I made to it... so it will be bumped!
                          Last edited by ratdude747; 05-24-2014, 01:57 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

hmm - just red from post 100'ish
                            i'm not sure about the airflow pattern being all that good.

if you didnt have that fan bottom-front then air would get drawn in across the drives by the rear fans.
                            but the lower-front fan will bypass that.

reminds me to get some more as5 too.
                            forget the ceramic - it's not as good and is intended for stuff like chipset sinks with a large surface-area.
                            i have both.

Comment

Yesterday I picked up an Optiplex 780 SFF tower for $5. 3.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs ram, dead 320 gig hard drive. Threw a 1 TB hard drive and 8 gigs of ram into it from a dead inspiron I had around (bad motherboard and not caps) and reinstalled Windows 7 Pro.

For another $5 I got a Sony TA-AX390 in horrible shape, a couple 1 gig DDR2 modules, B&K 3050 audio signal generator and a HP JetDirect 610N.

Also got a Motorola X31A radio, works fine after a cleaning of the battery contacts.

Comment

I have a GE Super 6 radio that is similar in style to the Motorola x31. It also works but needs cleaning. The back cover straps have worn off (still have the snaps) but the rest of the leatherette covering is in great shape. It's a cool little radio and has actually fun to use for a change when there are extended power outages. The little dude is heavy for its size too. Big honkin' magnet on a 4" speaker.

Comment

another engineer i know was updating his tools.

so he gave me this for free!
                                  http://www.totalsuppliesuk.co.uk/dur...-box-188-p.asp

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    Not the college I go to. I already asked the so called "Property Management" and they said they collect and auction all of the school's electronics, broken or working, to 3rd parties.

That said, I always use the back door on our engineering building, because that's where they have the dumpsters. Occasionally, they will have really old APC UPS back-up supplies, cables, wires, transformers... and probably the best I've found there yet - a beated up and broken down HP 6286A adjustable power supply. It was in sad shape, but the analog meter on the front still works and it has a huge transformer inside. Unfortunately, the huge capacitor inside (when I say huge, I mean the size of a large 2.5 L soda bottle in diameter) was removed. Lots of nice vintage parts inside, though.
                                    They had some rheostats the last week of school, but I forgot to take them the last day and left. I'm guessing they got thrown away by now. There was also some weird box with about 30 relays in it. I was going to take that as well, but it was too big so I said to myself, "a little later maybe".
                                    I looked into this more without directly asking, and that's totally the case for my university too. I think you're allowed taking, but there's a metal scrapper who comes in to take stuff that's basically given to him on a silver platter. Unfortunately, they throw out perfectly working equipment and components that we typically and otherwise buy new. Not super efficient system.
                                    Last edited by splur; 05-31-2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Whoops, wrong tab. Seems I can't delete my own stuff.

Comment

Today wasn't half bad.

For $5 I got:
                                        Gateway MX6450. 2 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2, 1.5 gigs ram, 80 gig hard drive.
                                        ATI TV Wonder 650 card
                                        Old keyboard with click white Alps SKCM switches
                                        IDE to CF adapter
                                        Imation USB Floppy Drive
                                        and a random 16-bit ISA card that looks like it might be an I/O controller of some sorts. Haven't looked up the model or anything on it.

Comment

Not exactly a cimputer score, But I did score a peltier cooling/heating thingy for the car, big enough for a 6 pack, for $3.5... it works too
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X