Acer A515 Not Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer A515 Not Charging

Acer A515 motherboard, part number DA0ZAWMB8G. Someone tripped over the charging cord and broke the DC jack. Jack has been repaired, but system still doesn't detect charger.

19V is present on charger pin and drain of #1 mosfet but there is no voltage on the gate and source. There is 19v on a small cap near gate. If battery is plugged in, #2 mosfet measures 10V on drain, nothing on gate.
    Mosfets are AON6414A. Datasheet https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/7...ors/AON6414A/1

Measuring in diode mode I don't find any short to ground on any of the surrounding caps.

See attached image.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mgrharry; 05-18-2021, 11:06 PM.

Re: Acer A515 Not Charging

Hi

measure on the shutresistor (its the one with R01) if there is short to ground

Comment

diagram and sample measurements will help. In order to trigger the N-mosfet at the entrance, it must be 25v at the gate. Check the voltages of the charging chip.
      Attached Files
      I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

No short to ground on R01

Comment

Thanks for the schematic. Unfortunately me and schematics = I tracked down the boardview as well but compared to the Mac board views it's so minimal and disorganized it wasn't much help.

What charging chip are you referring to Sametbey?

Comment

Here are some full size photos showing the entire board top and bottom.
            Attached Files

Comment

Charging IC is a small black square chip and will have "BQ735" written on it like this: https://www.leakymosfet.com/products...735-735-qfn-20

Find the IC on the board and measure voltage on the following pins and report back:
              1. Pin 20 (Vcc)
              2. Pin 6 (ACDET)
              3. Pin 5 (ACOK)

Comment

You have a broken power connector. It has 3 contacts. ++19 volts /GND and AD_ID. The AD_ID pin is not triggered in the connector. It should short to GND.

Comment

Originally posted by mgrharry View Post
                  Thanks for the schematic. Unfortunately me and schematics = I tracked down the boardview as well but compared to the Mac board views it's so minimal and disorganized it wasn't much help.

What charging chip are you referring to Sametbey?
                  Your motherboard is a quanta ZAW , i posted the schematic and boardview -

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96065
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by kiwin View Post
                    You have a broken power connector. It has 3 contacts. ++19 volts /GND and AD_ID. The AD_ID pin is not triggered in the connector. It should short to GND.
                    That makes a lot of sense since this happened right after cord was tripped over. I reflowed the 19v pin but maybe the ID pin is busted internally.

Comment

No chip labeled BQ735, but I did locate BQ24780S
                      https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...272e9b220d.pdf

According to that, VCC is pin 28, ACDET pin 6, and ACOK pin 5.
                      VCC = 19.16V
                      ACDET = 0V
                      ACOK = 0V

Comment

Originally posted by mgrharry View Post
                        No chip labeled BQ735, but I did locate BQ24780S
                        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...272e9b220d.pdf

According to that, VCC is pin 28, ACDET pin 6, and ACOK pin 5.
                        VCC = 19.16V
                        ACDET = 0V
                        ACOK = 0V
                        I was referring to the initial attached schematic. Per new schematic provided by SMDFlea, charger IC is indeed BQ24780s.

ACDET should be 2.6V. Check if you have continuity (Ideally from ID pin in charger port) between pin3 (ADP_ID) of adapter input (PJ2) and pin2 of PQ17 . Also measure voltage on pin2 of PQ17 and report back.

Since you mentioned tripping over the cable, pretty sure the ADP_ID pin is the issue here.
                        Last edited by Spider1211; 05-26-2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I have this board and it's dead. i'm wondering if this large chip near the charging port that circled red in the pic is a fuse. it has no continuity and is shorted to ground on one side
                          Attached Files

Comment

No. That is a bulk ceramic capacitor. One side is expected to be to ground.

Often, fuses that are surface mounted (like this part) are white in color for the body of the component.

For your repair attempt, start with where the logic board is powered. Then check that the power supply is making it from the external power adapter -> to the power connector -> to the mosfets that will enable / disable to charge up the local battery, etc.

Start with the meter in DC volts mode with black lead to ground. Red lead onto the DC power in jack. Guessing that for this laptop, the DCIN voltage is around 19 Volts and is a round barrel (coax) jack with center pin positive.

The more recent designs are with USB Type C power adapters.

Comment

i'm getting 19v on pin 1 of bq24780s. shouldn't i get the same on pin 2?

Comment

19v is actually on the vcc pin of bq24780s.

Comment

Share the actual issue of your Board, History If available and which measurements you did so far before proceeding with anything.
                                  FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

it wasn't detecting the charger. I removed pq9 to solve the issue

Comment

Working...
                                    X