Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3, after saving UEFI settings, shuts down, doesn't restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3, after saving UEFI settings, shuts down, doesn't restart

I've tried all BIOSes available to download, most recently first release version 0301, using an i3-2100

For each try, after externally reprogramming its Winbond 25Q64BV (DIP8) with TL866IIplus

Always same outcome - after Save & Exit, board shuts down and doesn't restart

If I press onboard Power button, it'll start up then shut down again

After jumpering CMOS Clear, it'll start to UEFI settings then repeat same behaviour

It's had a new CR2032 fitted

Closer examination found a second flash IC, a soldered Pm25LD512 (SOP8 or SOIC8, whichever is smaller), just to left of SATA connectors block (25Q64BV is on right)

In these days of Management Engine and multi-MB firmware, something 64KB seemed too small to be relevant, but having run out of ideas, I desoldered it to see what would happen

After power on, board contemplates for a few seconds, flashes a couple of red LEDs, bleeps with a brief glimpse of Asus logo, messages "The data in the EC or EC flash might be corrupted", then shuts down

Dump of Pm25LD512 is attached - BIOSes tried are the *.ROMs downloaded from Asus

Could anyone advise/assist please
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3, after saving UEFI settings, shuts down, doesn't restart

Its the EPU firmware.I checked it against one extracted from the asus bios and its exactly the same.Flash it back and carry on troubleshooting .
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
      Its the EPU firmware.
      Thanks for checking, and for the feedback

Unfortunately I've run out of ideas, so scrapping the P.O.S. is looking like the most feasible option

If EPU firmware is in the BIOS, I can't understand why there'd be a second, dedicated, flash IC just for it

Maybe the Pm25LD512 is acting as a scratch pad and getting rewritten every boot, so replacing it perhaps worth a try
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Do you have a POST card
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Is "EC" for "embedded controller"? (Is it the same thing as "KBC" on a laptop?) (even when an ATX motherboard?)
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
            Do you have a POST card
            Yes, and it's about as helpful as usual - which is to say, not very much

After powering-on motherboard once it's failed to restart, the POST card shows something like "finding type of keyboard and setting Numlock status" before losing power again

Comment

Working...
            X