Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Hey all,
    To keep me busy when not working I buy used motherboards with bad CPU pins to fix. Long story short I lolled when I saw this board and it's issue, look next to the CPU socket(towards the I/O) to find the TEC chip.
    Asus Maximus IV Extreme
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-MAXIMUS...3D222217845967
    Might pick it up, if I didn't have so many projects already.
    Last edited by Philly Cheese Steak; 08-19-2016, 04:02 AM.
    X99 5930K
    X99-gaming 9
    EVGA 1080 Vanilla
    Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
    SSD'S
    Corsair AX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow View Post
      Just fixed one Satellite A300. This is caused by a bad cap. A big one - NEC/TOKIN 0E907 (900uF/2.5V) under the CPU. Mine had 900uF but probably lost some of its magic, resulting in >100mV ripple on CPU power. Adding 1x 100uF and 5x 10uF ceramic caps fixed the problem.
      can you help me with my toshiba c855, am having the same problem and i was unable to detect the nec tokey on the motherboard

Comment

i am having problem with my toshiba c855, it always restarts after 5minutes if working, i have tried all the over heating stuff, replaced the hardisk and the ram but the problem still persist, plz i need your help

Comment

Big thanks for this thread !

I managed to fix my L350 myself with a really awful iron.

I used 4 330uf Panasonic Capacitor (2R5TPE330MF)

Final result, a bit ugly but 100% working !

Comment

Actually 330uf x 4pcs isn't really sufficient in value, since OE907 new measured with ESR meter show almost 1300uf.

Now 470uf tantalum low ESR is easily available, 4pcs of these last a long time before need to replace it again.

Originally posted by zetabo View Post
            Big thanks for this thread !

I managed to fix my L350 myself with a really awful iron.

I used 4 330uf Panasonic Capacitor (2R5TPE330MF)

Final result, a bit ugly but 100% working !
            Attached Files
            Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremykum View Post
              Actually 330uf x 4pcs isn't really sufficient in value, since OE907 new measured with ESR meter show almost 1300uf.

Now 470uf tantalum low ESR is easily available, 4pcs of these last a long time before need to replace it again.
              Alright, thanks, good to know.

If it happens again, it will be much easier next time now the nec tokin has been removed.
              Hopefully I will have a better iron next time as well. I'm a total beginner.

Comment

Hi all,

I've just repair an Acer Aspire 6920G with the same OE907 chip and the same failure.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Just a quick help here.
                  I got notebook with the same problem.
                  I disassembled it and I found a WR 2R5 901 proadlizer.
                  The motherboard diagram shows as PFAF250E907MCBTE part number, which seens a 900uf / 2.5v / ESR 1.5 nec tokin (0E907).
                  I can only found a 330uf/2.5/ESR 9 as a replacement. Can I use it?

4x 330 = 1320 uf
                  4x ESR9 paral. = 2.25 mOhm
                  Last edited by xisque; 07-16-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Yes you can use it. Many people here in this thread did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm View Post
                      Yes you can use it. Many people here in this thread did that.
                      Can you explain a little more? These ESR values are a way off the original. Is this problematic? How much?

Comment

Have always used 4x 330uF pulled from scrap boards, always the black ones with gray writing. Lost count of how many machines i did this replacement on. Not a single one ever came back. I actually have one in to fix at this time.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I got Acer 6920g that wont post.
                          Can I replace nec tokin with polymer cap like from desktop motherboard as a replacement?
                          Not permanently, just as a test before I get the tantalum.

Comment

[QUOTE=BleedCap;767512]I got Acer 6920g that wont post.
                            Can I replace nec tokin with polymer cap like from desktop motherboard as a replacement?
                            Not permanently, just as a test before I get the tantalum.

Virtually , you can put any kind of capacitors , but the smd tantalum capacitors do not have liquid , but solid electrolyte , contrarily to some Aluminium polymers ..
                            Anyway , read this :

By the way , and in a strange coincidence , i'm too repairing an Acer 6920 G . i've already applied the new 4 capacitors , but the laptop now on normally with a blurry picture , so i'm working now on the Nvidia slot card .
                            Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-18-2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

The leads need to be very short.

Comment

Just when I thought I'd fixed it....oh well.

Got an old Toshiba Satellite from a garage sale, $3/for parts-only it read. I had another I had gotten for free(thrown out)that was missing keys on the keyboard, so for $3 I figured what the heck, $3 keyboard. Thing is...it booted/ran fine, ...added cheap ssd/core2duo CPU upgrades, ended up with a nice laptop for browsing/messing around with....except for the freeze with AC adapter plugged in(guess the owners figured it was toast or close to it).

After finding this site I tried my lack of skills at soldering and purchased 4x470uf tantalum low ESR and was able to remove/replace. Not the best soldering job for sure, but I got it to work with the A/C adapter(no more freezing), and it ran great...

...for a couple months.

Today I went to turn it on and it powers up for about 6 seconds(briefly shows boot-up screen)...then it powers down. I tried the pull battery/adapter, hold power button trick...no change. With battery only the charging LED(orange)blinks with no response, with adapter I get 6 seconds boot/then dead.

Tore it apart(ugh)again and tried disconnecting this and that, memory modules in/out, different power adapter/batteries...no luck....6 seconds on/then dead.

Sad, was fun while it lasted...thinking it could be 1/more of the caps went bad or need re-soldered, but I have no idea...not really wanting to spend much more time with it, unless you guys have any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by fstheatr View Post
                                  Just when I thought I'd fixed it....oh well.

Got an old Toshiba Satellite from a garage sale, $3/for parts-only it read. I had another I had gotten for free(thrown out)that was missing keys on the keyboard, so for $3 I figured what the heck, $3 keyboard. Thing is...it booted/ran fine, ...added cheap ssd/core2duo CPU upgrades, ended up with a nice laptop for browsing/messing around with....except for the freeze with AC adapter plugged in(guess the owners figured it was toast or close to it).

After finding this site I tried my lack of skills at soldering and purchased 4x470uf tantalum low ESR and was able to remove/replace. Not the best soldering job for sure, but I got it to work with the A/C adapter(no more freezing), and it ran great...

...for a couple months.

Today I went to turn it on and it powers up for about 6 seconds(briefly shows boot-up screen)...then it powers down. I tried the pull battery/adapter, hold power button trick...no change. With battery only the charging LED(orange)blinks with no response, with adapter I get 6 seconds boot/then dead.

Tore it apart(ugh)again and tried disconnecting this and that, memory modules in/out, different power adapter/batteries...no luck....6 seconds on/then dead.

Sad, was fun while it lasted...thinking it could be 1/more of the caps went bad or need re-soldered, but I have no idea...not really wanting to spend much more time with it, unless you guys have any suggestions.
                                  try add 2 more caps on it.

Comment

I have an Acer Aspire 6935g which seems it needs replacement of the NEC TOKIN capacitor.

330uf tantalum need to be SMD (https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-SMD-Tan...8/232303050868) or are ESR also OK (https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-ESR-7-...332242655643)?

Originally posted by jeremykum View Post

Are these capacitors below, 470uf tantalum low ESR?
                                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/T520D477M00...m/193458822505
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Take 4x 330uF aluminum SMD capacitors from CPU VCore section of a laptop donor board.

NEC Tokin ESR is 1 to 2 ohms. ESR of replacement cap should preferably be close to 6 ohms so 4x in parallel means 1.5 ohm total ESR.
                                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I don't have available a laptop donor board.
                                        I have to buy new capacitors from Ebay.

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                                        NEC Tokin ESR is 1 to 2 ohms. ESR of replacement cap should preferably be close to 6 ohms so 4x in parallel means 1.5 ohm total ESR.
                                        This result comes from division 6/4=1.5?

Comment

Working...
                                        X