Infinity PS-12 Powered Subwoofer Fired Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Infinity PS-12 Powered Subwoofer Fired Amplifier

Always use a “dim bulb tester” to apply mains power to these types of amplifiers. 60W or 100W conventional incandescent light bulb is about the right size. You need to get the amplifier to the point where it can play sound at low to moderate volume before applying “full” mains power to it.

Comment

Got my PS-12 fixed too! Sub was humming while sitting at idle (no sound). Hum went away when I replaced the C72 capacitor.

Also the sub was making chirping noises. Noticed the light in the back flashing frequently between green and red. Could also hear internal circuitry noises (if I get up close to it), as if circuits were being activated and disabled quickly, on the order of about six times each second. Replaced the C2, C37, and C65 capacitors and all of those noises went away.

Big thanks for all the contributions to this thread! #righttorepair

Comment

Hi everyone,

I just acquired a PS-12 and the cap is blown(of course.), but it also burned the board...

Is this fixable? I have not seen another one that is burned this much...

https://imgur.com/gallery/mfwxtNk?fb...YF9kI2iZClRpwU

Comment

Originally posted by rxm9600 View Post
          I don't see any burning at all. If you are referring to the brown stuff around the big caps - that's just glue used to hold down the caps at the factory.

Should be fixable if there are no other dead components, aside from the bad cap(s). On that note, I recommend replacing all electrolytic capacitors in this unit. At least that would be the first part in the repair process for this unit.

Comment

Yep, just bad brown glue.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
              FORCED ON circuit.
              My sub has problem switching from red to green. I repalced most of the capacitors although they all looked good.
              C2/12/35/37/39/41/78.
              I also replaced Q2 with 2N5550 equivalent and Q3 with 2N5401 since I could find the original parts. Are these the right ones?

My sub switched to green now. But no sound when I connect to the amp. If I played from my phone, I'd get sounds.
              What other parts I need to replace. Also, C71/72/73/74 still have 0V.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                I don't see any burning at all. If you are referring to the brown stuff around the big caps - that's just glue used to hold down the caps at the factory.
                The last few pictures show a hole burned in the board under the blown cap. You have to load the last seven pictures.

Comment

I am not familiar with the "dim bulb tester" that Electricboyo mentioned above. Is that an incandescent bulb in series with the 120 volt input to act as a fuse?

Comment

That is correct. You can Google and there is a ton of info on this. Make sure you are careful to take precautions so that you do not get electrocuted as this involves 110VAC household mains supply. If you are not sure, get it checked out by a qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by Mwitte View Post
                      I am not familiar with the "dim bulb tester" that Electricboyo mentioned above. Is that an incandescent bulb in series with the 120 volt input to act as a fuse?
                      Exactly!
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=70
                      Note, however, that it won't actually act as a fuse; it will behave more like a current limiter. How much current goes through depends on the load you put on the power supply. Generally, you won't be able to run most power supplies with any significant load with the dim bulb tester (due to increasing voltage drop across bulb with increasing load.) In most cases, the dim bulb tester is just enough to allow the power supply to turn on and show you that nothing is shorted on the primary (i.e. bulb will go bright/lit otherwise.) But that is still very useful.

In the case of amplifier PSUs, though, I've found that typically you can run the amp at a very low to medium volume to test the operation. To allow for a bigger load, you can use two or three series bulbs all in parallel or a single 100-300W bulb.
                      Last edited by momaka; 06-09-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Finally after leaving the laziness aside I replaced all the caps practically and 4 more resistors and redid solders in addition to putting a fan to keep it warm, the result is that the subwoofer has never been so good, perfect.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sachs; 03-03-2021, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sachs View Post
                          Finally after leaving the laziness aside I replaced all the caps practically and 4 more resistors and redid solders in addition to putting a fan to keep it warm, the result is that the subwoofer has never been so good, perfect.
                          Nice Job. I would recommend putting standoffs between the box and the plastic. Otherwise, the fan will be rather ineffectual in pushing/pulling air into a closed box. I ended up removing my fan as it made too much air noise.

Comment

Originally posted by jiari View Post
                            Nice Job. I would recommend putting standoffs between the box and the plastic. Otherwise, the fan will be rather ineffectual in pushing/pulling air into a closed box. I ended up removing my fan as it made too much air noise.
                            I opened a hole in the plastic, the fan draws hot air perfectly from the amplifier box

Comment

Originally posted by rxm9600 View Post
                              Hi everyone,

I just acquired a PS-12 and the cap is blown(of course.), but it also burned the board...

https://imgur.com/gallery/mfwxtNk?fb...YF9kI2iZClRpwU
                              I know this post was from quite a while ago but I'm wondering how this worked out for you? Looking at that last picture it seems C71 exploded (and it took out D34 with it)!!

Here's a picture of mine and you can see the same exact part failure (this is on the bottom of the board just in parallel with the crossover cap C73 that was bulging) BUT mine was not nearly as bad.

So I have replaced all the electrolytic caps and the two crossover bipolar caps and have just ordered a replacement for C71....

Unfortunately the specs for C71 is not listed in the manual on the parts page but I see on the schematic that it is a 0.1uF probably 100V. I ordered this but does anyone have an idea of what it really should be?
                              https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...K1RACTU/754779

Once I replace C71 I'll post how the repair went....
                              Attached Files

Comment

My Infinity Entra Two is working good as new.

Not sure if this is visible to others but here is the bill of materials I used at Digikey for the caps.
                                https://www.digikey.com/BOM/Create/C...?bomId=8604745

My board was a first revision so I used the original caps except for C37 which I upped to a 270uF since my sub normally didn't stay (green) on for the full 10 minutes before going back to standby after no input (now it does)

Add to this the small ceramic cap in my prior post that was unique to my failure along with the two crossover caps posted by jiari in post #119. I also put a bit more silicon next to the new NP caps so it looks as good as new

https://www.parts-express.com/6.8uF-...acitor-027-336
                                https://www.parts-express.com/4.7uF-...acitor-027-332

Thanks to everyone that's posted in this thread before .. lots of good info here to help complete this worthwhile repair.

Comment

Your Digikey link can't work unless you want to provide your login and password, which I would suggest you do not.

Comment

So, I now have a broken PS-10 with the same vaporized C71 and a slightly bulging C6.

Can anyone post a definitive list of parts to replace? @mhren?

Thanks

Originally posted by mhren View Post
                                    My Infinity Entra Two is working good as new.

Not sure if this is visible to others but here is the bill of materials I used at Digikey for the caps.
                                    https://www.digikey.com/BOM/Create/C...?bomId=8604745

My board was a first revision so I used the original caps except for C37 which I upped to a 270uF since my sub normally didn't stay (green) on for the full 10 minutes before going back to standby after no input (now it does)

Add to this the small ceramic cap in my prior post that was unique to my failure along with the two crossover caps posted by jiari in post #119. I also put a bit more silicon next to the new NP caps so it looks as good as new

https://www.parts-express.com/6.8uF-...acitor-027-336
                                    https://www.parts-express.com/4.7uF-...acitor-027-332

Thanks to everyone that's posted in this thread before .. lots of good info here to help complete this worthwhile repair.

Comment

This thread has been in circulation for over 10 years now, why stop?

I actually joined this board after googling how to fix my PS-12 amp so I could see this pics referenced.

I'll start with my question and then give background....

Q1: C65 is listed in the repair manual as 470uF but the installed part appears to be 47uF. Unfortunately, I ordered replacement parts based on the manual. Also, on the board the outlined footprint of the cap is much closer to the larger 470uF chassis. Admittedly, C37 is also a smaller chassis cap with a larger footprint. I'll likely test and reinstall the 47uF cap at C65 and see if this amp will function again.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...ected=1#manual

Does anyone have any input as to which value is actually correct?

I'm at the point now to where I need to get my dining room table turned repair station cleaned off before my wife gets home so I'm going to reinstall the C65 47uF cap and hope that this turns out to be the correct recommendation.

Background:
                                      I decided to replace the following components based on info found throughout the thread as I had the power relay rapidly switching/buzzing condition (with no sound output) that seems to be a common issue.

C2,C4,C9: commonly suspected issue because the SAMXON branded caps throughout the amp seem to be of questionable quality, also the caps in this location are in the vicinity of the 4 resistors that appear to run VERY warm.

C6, C9: powers supply caps, appeared good visually but they are SAMXON branded and aged

C12, C78: commonly suspected issue because the SAMXON branded caps throughout the amp seem to be of questionable quality, and also because C12 is in the vicinity of the 4 resistors that appear to run VERY warm.

C65, I thought this cap was SAMXON branded but after pulling it I see it appears to be "Su'scon"

C72 and C73: these NP caps appeared fine visually and I don't suspect they were part of the problem but there are posts in this thread that show these can cause problems. Figured it would be cheap and wise to replace them while I had everything apart. Digi-Key only had polarized caps of the correct specs so I ordered two of each and installed them in opposing polarity.

Thanks to everyone who has contribute info here over the years, I wouldn't have attempted this repair without what I found here.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Trunk Monkey View Post
                                        I'll start with my question and then give background....

Q1: C65 is listed in the repair manual as 470uF but the installed part appears to be 47uF. Unfortunately, I ordered replacement parts based on the manual. Also, on the board the outlined footprint of the cap is much closer to the larger 470uF chassis. Admittedly, C37 is also a smaller chassis cap with a larger footprint. I'll likely test and reinstall the 47uF cap at C65 and see if this amp will function again.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...ected=1#manual

Does anyone have any input as to which value is actually correct?
                                        I found some information in the following two posts:
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=130
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=133

To highlight the important part, this is what jiari put down:
                                        Originally posted by jiari View Post
                                        I see the note on AresROC's blog that changing C65 from 470uF to 47uF fixes the chirp. Honestly, I can't tell if it's ok to swap out. The change looks ok to me (IR2111 seems to be used very closely in line with the application notes which only called out the bypass cap), but I don't know amplifier design. AresROC mentioned in post #94 that it was a design change on his revision D board. I'll give it a try if I need something from Mouser. I'm not that bothered by it.
                                        Also, I looked at the IR2111 datasheet myself, and while it doesn't list a sample / application circuit, it does show two test circuits, both of which have 10 uF caps for what would correspond to C65. So I think anything down to that value may be OK to use. In your case, I suggest going with whatever values was installed there originally (looks like 47 uF). But if you don't want to buy replacement caps just for that, then you can try the 470 uF caps too. As per the other posts, it seems the older revisions of this sub used 470 uF caps. So the change should not have any adverse effects, other than perhaps a high-pitched chirp during power On.

When in doubt, you can always use the incandescent lightbulb "trick" in series with the AC live to limit power/current, in case something does go wrong.
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...chmentid=10462

I'm at the point now to where I need to get my dining room table turned repair station cleaned off before my wife gets home so I'm going to reinstall the C65 47uF cap and hope that this turns out to be the correct recommendation.
                                        Lol. At least you only have a sub on there. I have an entire 55" TV taken apart, and it's been sitting there for a week. But then I don't have a wife to complain to me so... all is fine?

C65, I thought this cap was SAMXON branded but after pulling it I see it appears to be "Su'scon"
                                        Su'scon, SAMXON... whatever. Neither is that much better than the other.
                                        Pretty much the only worthwhile cap companies today, at least for reliable small-can electrolytics, are Panasonic, Rubycon, Nichicon, and United Chemicon, which are all Japanese brands too. Sanyo/Suncon are too, but you'd be hard-pressed to find these for sale anywhere. The ones on eBay and Amazon are typically counterfeits.

C72 and C73: these NP caps appeared fine visually and I don't suspect they were part of the problem but there are posts in this thread that show these can cause problems. Figured it would be cheap and wise to replace them while I had everything apart. Digi-Key only had polarized caps of the correct specs so I ordered two of each and installed them in opposing polarity.

Should be OK with that.

Thanks to everyone who has contribute info here over the years, I wouldn't have attempted this repair without what I found here.
                                        Let us know how the repair goes/completes.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 01-22-2023, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I've read the entire thread now. I thought my amp had obvious signs of what was wrong but all I found was a little browning by the resistors..... and no one mentioned anything like what is happening with mine ..... got this wierd zap sound happening.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_duiud-yCZk?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/I8oVNq_59eQ?feature=share

Should I just start replacing caps anyway?
                                          I get nothing out of it at all, have never seen the woofer move.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by Jodeanss; 04-04-2023, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X