Vizio E65-E3 Dead after backlight replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E65-E3 Dead after backlight replacement

SSooooo i picked up a 65inch vizio that someone was throwing away so i figured i would try and fix. seemed simply enough but after i got it back together it is not turning on. i have power coming from the power supply to the main board but nothing going into the tcon. i had the tv on a bed while i was working on it...could i have fried it from static maybe?? Thanks in advance!!

Re: Vizio E65-E3 Dead after backlight replacement

Test the voltages at the connector on the powerboard with EVERYTHING hooked up, it's the connector that the cable from powerboard to mainboard hooks into, most times there's a legend/map nearby that gives the expected voltages, you measure them with your mutimeter, set meter to 20 vdc then report them, put neg probe on chassis metal ground, pos probe on pin of connector, measure in standby take note, leave probes where they are then power on tv and again take note of voltages, report them here, example pin 1-ps-on-0 volts standby-power on-3.3 volts.

Comment

Here are the results....when on pin 1 goes back and forth from -.002 to .001. Thanks for the quick response!
      Attached Files

Comment

So it was apart when you picked it up or you did some work on it?

Comment

but after i got it back together it is not turning on.
          So initially it was turning on and what was working. Power on led, backlights, image ?
          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

When i picked it up, one side of the display was dim...like the leds were bad. after i opened it up and tested them, 1 out of every led strip (there are 12) had a bad led. so i ordered a new set, tested those to make sure they all work, and installed them.
            Last edited by a460guy; 04-03-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

You may have a bad led connector connection problem (as in a bad joint) or at any one of the interconnection between led strips.
              Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GC5AwZCsF4
              Last edited by dick_barton; 04-03-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I pulled the connector from the main board and fired each strip. They are all pulling the same 32.4 volts so they are all working. Any more ideas?
                Attached Files

Comment

Could be bad solder joints at main board BGA. Remove heatsink and blow some hot air when TV is off. Wait until it cools down and turn it on. This is not a fix, just troubleshooting technique.

Comment

So at this point I would be testing the voltages on each pin of the led connector at switch on. Does it peak and then drop and what are the min/max values.
                    Last edited by dick_barton; 04-04-2021, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Tested at the connector on main board going to leds.. pins 1 - 14..voltages fluctuate before settling around -.030.
                      Pins 17-24 all just drop to -.007 in a few seconds after power on.
                      I have a hot air station ariving in the mail today and will try the bga suggestion.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Update.....tried hot air on main board bga...no difference. replaced main board and am still getting nothing... what should i try next?

Comment

Pics
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by a460guy; 04-14-2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Does it attempt to turn on? Try connecting only one side at a time between the tcon and panel and see if the TV turns on with half a screen.

Comment

I put a flashlight to the screen and turns out there is image! So now i just need to figure out why the new led s are not coming on.

Comment

When doing backlight replacements, I always turn the TV on with the panel disconnected to confirm they are lighting up before reassembly. Also check after installing the diffuser panels to check for dirt or debris and to check if the backlight is even.

Comment

Very carefully check the voltage of C2, meter set to 600 vdc, careful what you touch this is the /HOT/DEADLY side of the powerboard, with a probe on each leg what voltage do you get? Check it in standby which is powered off and when powered on, when powered on should prolly be around 400 volts if this checks ok, next I would take powerboard out and inspect the solder joints real closely and re-flow any that look suspect, google images is your friend for how bad joints look if needed.

Comment

19.5v during stand by and 19v at power on at c2

Comment

No sorry....... its 170vdc on stand by and 164vdc at power on

Comment

Looks like youre not getting the boosted pfc, check all diodes on powerboard and don't forget to check those solder joints.
                                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-15-2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X