Vizio M60-C3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio M60-C3

I think we're down to the real problem. According to Shopjimmy the T-Con is the wrong part for the panel, but it looked original so I think it's right. Just looks like the typical bad panel on these Vizios..
    Attached Files

Comment

If the +12VS never comes up properly, that can effect the other voltages as well, also there is all the high frequency ripple that is on the +12VS due to the caps being bad (close to open).
      I would re-seat the t-con to panel cables on the bad side, then check that the lvds cables are seated properly, and the contacts on the plugs look ok and are not damaged.
      Last edited by R_J; 02-09-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

OK so panel is bad on this one but has the side tabs to remove. This one is a little different though. With all 4 ribbons going to the panel connected, I have a good pic on the right half, and ghosting on the left.
        If I remove the 2 ribbons on the left side, I don't get a good pic on the right side.
        Only when I remove the last ribbon furthest to the left side, do I get a good half picture on the right.
        Typically I've needed to remove both "bad" side ribbons to make a good pic on the good side.
        Does this tell you anything? My inclination is to remove the side tabs on the left side, but I want to make sure first!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          If the +12VS never comes up properly, that can effect the other voltages as well, also there is all the high frequency ripple that is on the +12VS due to the caps being bad (close to open).
          I would re-seat the t-con to panel cables on the bad side, then check that the lvds cables are seated properly, and the contacts on the plugs look ok and are not damaged.
          Yes I've tried reseating. I found another post about this same tv/panel combo

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=M60-C3

Comment

do the edge boards along the bottom have "two halves" ... ie. are there two per side? IF so, there should be a "U" type interconnection ribbon between the two. It is unclampable. You can use that point to do the same "disconnect" test to see what the results are like. this may confirm whether you have a problem with any side tabs.

one other thing that you can try is swapping the "bad" cable for the one on the opposite side to see if the problem moves.... which may mean you have a bad cable. Just a further check before going down the "remove tabs" mode.

still one further check.... since you had found bad caps, you might have some more on the bottom edge boards. you can do some resistance type measurements at the pin of the "bad cable" (going towards the pane) and check / compare those with the equivalent on the opposite side... see if anything jumps out at you. you might get lucky and find a bad smd cap in the edge board as oppose to a bad tab... but the picture that you posted with horizontal lines does appear to be a side tab problem.
            Last edited by budwich; 02-10-2020, 12:05 AM.

Comment

I disconnect each of those "U" cables one at a time and still don't have a good pic on either side. Only with everything connected I hadve a good right half, and also with the far left ribbon from t-con to panel.

If I have that far left ribbon disconnected, and then disconnect the left side "U" ribbon too, I get bad pic on both sides again.

Didn't find any shorted SMD caps on left side bottom boards.

So should I just tear off the left side tabs?? Nothing I've tested gives me any confirmation but maybe I'm missing something??
              Last edited by kevinm34232; 02-10-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Do you think that maybe someone put the wrong tcon in there before you got it?

Comment

Retest those "SMD caps on bottom boards" check in ohm mode, expect over 100 ohms with meter set to 200 ohm range.

Comment

Well I can't imagine it would be working at all the way it is.. It didn't look like the tv was tampered with really.

It was just shopjimmy that showed this: (this is what's in the TV)

https://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-runtk...-con-board.htm

as opposed to the other one:

https://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-runt...-con-board.htm

I have a Foxconn panel and it shows that to be the 0151fv.

But the other post about this tv

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=M60-C3

Has the same panel and t-con as me, so it appears shopjimmy is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                      Retest those "SMD caps on bottom boards" check in ohm mode, expect over 100 ohms with meter set to 200 ohm range.
                      I had it in Ohm mode on the audible setting, not sure what the threshold is, it's a Fluke117. It never beeped.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                        I disconnect each of those "U" cables one at a time and still don't have a good pic on either side. Only with everything connected I hadve a good right half, and also with the far left ribbon from t-con to panel.

If I have that far left ribbon disconnected, and then disconnect the left side "U" ribbon too, I get bad pic on both sides again.

Didn't find any shorted SMD caps on left side bottom boards.

So should I just tear off the left side tabs?? Nothing I've tested gives me any confirmation but maybe I'm missing something??
                        hmmm :-( something certainly not right. With all tcon to panel cables connected and with the one "u" disconnected (on the side that you think is bad", you should be getting something as the "U" disconnects the "1/4" panel along with the corresponding side.

I am having trouble reading / understanding your reply / post ... can you re-read and redo the test?

Comment

Sorry I know it gets confusing.. Here's the picture with all t-con > panel ribbons connected, and the left side "U" disconnected.
                          Attached Files

Comment

ok,,,, that helps a bit but the picture of the panel isn't the whole panel so I can't judhe what is happening on the whole panel at this time and setup.
                            Having said that, it does appear to be a side tab issue. you might be able to confirm that by physically looking and touching the tabs on the side to see if you can confirm an issue.

NOTE: good picture at this point is somewhat relative.... you are not going to get a perfect picture in this mode at this point. These types of tests are used to isolate panel areas so you can determine where a problem might lie. Your previous picture(s) showed some dark half of the screen along with horizontal lines. This last picture shows a white screen and no lines (although that might be hard to see because of the choice of input... a screen using a known smpte color bar pattern is better).
                            Last edited by budwich; 02-10-2020, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I guess getting back to the basics, since I can only get a good right side pic no matter what, is it most likely the left side tabs need to be removed? Or is it still possible it could be the right side?

Comment

no that is not necessarily the choice. There could be a problem with the bottom edge boards on that half. Some of those problems may be addressable depending on what they are. You have something strange happening when the "u" is disconnected... that should change what is being displayed... hence my previous comment / question. Please show a picture of the complete panel with the "u" disconnected.

Comment

In order:
                                  Everything connected
                                  Left side "U" disconnected (that is a dark spot on the right side)
                                  Right side "U" disconnected (can't catch it but left side is flickering)
                                  Both "U"s disconnected
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by kevinm34232; 02-11-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

ok.... couple of points. you will never get a "good" picture with both "U" cables disconnected. This is because no signal can make it to either side because there is no electrical connection to drive the horizontals.

the second picture show more than a half a picture which is expected because roughly 1/4 of the bottom panel is now disconnected with the "u" disconnected. That same picture appears to show vertical lines on 1/4 of the half of the screen that has been "modified" (some form of disconnected). That is not good. That likely indicates a problem with a panel tab at the bottom, in or near that area. You might try lightly touching the tabs in that area to see if you can cause those lines to disappear / change.

At this point, it is not looking good but some people have had significant side tab issues causing issues with vertical lines also so they may be a small sign of hope.

Have you checked the side tabs yet?
                                    Last edited by budwich; 02-11-2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

What do you mean by checking them? Pressing on them?

Comment

look at them, gently touch them, see if there is any difference between them as along the side and from one side to the other.

Comment

No change by touching any of the tabs.. I guess there's nothing to lose now, can we rule out the right side tabs?

Comment

Working...
                                          X