Sharp Aquos 80" TV ~ Model # LC-80LE844U ~ Not operational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp Aquos 80" TV ~ Model # LC-80LE844U ~ Not operational

Is that even an LED backlight? Looks like CCFL inverter caps! (those blue components)

The model code appears to indicate a later-with-LED-version, right before Hisense bought the Sharp TV division, IIRC.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-01-2020, 05:44 AM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Yes, I have been doing the resistance measurements with the power off. The DMM readings behave the same way when I have power off as they do when I was also measuring a fuse that was completely off / outside of the board (as I had taken a fuse from another set that also proved good (beeping) but had the same "momentaryily up then back down to 000 readout).

Comment

I did all of the readings this morning you asked for, budm, both on the ODD numbered pins and the EVEN numbered pins. I will just simplify the result and say that there were NO readings at all on any of these 24 pins. Did see the chart you referred to printed on the board. There are similar charts for the L1 and L2 connectors that lead to the backlights, so all of those charts will prove useful whenever we can get power to those pins. As of right now, though, there is no reading on any of the 24 PD Connector pins nor on any of the L1 or L2 pins.

I also thought it might prove useful if I tried to get a VDC reading from any of the medium-sized capacitors that are positioned in the upper left-hand corner of the board and in the same sector as the L1 and L2 connectors. Interestingly, there were NO readings coming off any of the three caps nearest the L1 connector (18uf 400v) and similarly NO readings coming off the two caps nearby (68 uf 200v).

Does that tell us that the problem lies somewhere between the three operational filter caps I measured before (47uf 450v) that were getting readings in the 160's (and still are, as I measured all three again this morning) and the upper-left quadrant of the board where these other caps offer NO readings at all?

Comment

I am not sure, RJARRRPCGP, you may well be right. I just quickly assumed there were backlights involved. I can do a little more research on this particular Model # and provide you with a more definitive answer.

Comment

Copied and pasted this, RJ ~

Not just big, Sharp’s top-of-the-line LC-80LE844U is a 3D-capable, LED-lit (but no local dimming) LCD with a 240-Hz refresh (a scanning backlight bumps that up to 480 Hz) and Smart TV features. And while I like the idea of it, the reality is somewhat different.

From this article:

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...4u-3d-lcd-hdtv

Comment

More images that I hope help:
              Attached Files

Comment

I did not find any obvious burn spots on either the front or the back of the board, even with looking at the back through a magnifying glass.

Not sure what I can or should test next.

Comment

RJ ~

Everything I can find labels it as a LED-backlit LCD TV. Including this spec sheet from cnet:

https://www.cnet.com/products/sharp-...ed-tv-full-hd/

I will add a pic of the back panel label itself below. Are you seeing something on that label that would indicate other than LED backlit and, if so, what implications does that have (i.e., how does that affect the Power Supply Board and that fact that it is not operating right now)?

Comment

Actual Back Panel Label w/ Model # info:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Did just notice, though, that there is no specific Date of Manufacture on that label. That's a bit odd.

Comment

probably doesn't matter BUT you never really addressed budm's statement a bit back where you now report voltage at some points at the entry where as in the first post, the voltage was 45 or something.... why the difference? what did you do differently? The difference could be of interest in this exercise.

as an aside, I doubt sharp made any sets this large with tube lighting.
                        Last edited by budwich; 09-01-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kca View Post
                          Did just notice, though, that there is no specific Date of Manufacture on that label. That's a bit odd.
                          I see what looks like a time of manufacture. "1245". Looks like week 45 in 2012.

While OTOH, I have a Vizio where I can't find the time of manufacture printed, at least until I get the back cover of it off!
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-01-2020, 12:40 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Ahhh ..... yes, the 1245 makes sense. Thanks, RJ.

budwich ~ I had been putting the black probe on the chassis at that point which was giving the false readings of about 45.

Comment

RJ ~

Q: Were you speculating in your earlier post that someone might have replaced the original power supply board with this one, wherein this one is designed more for CCFL and does not provide an "engineering fit" for this tv that has the LED backlit system?

When I looked up possible power supply board replacements the other day, in the event I cannot repair it, this same PSU board # came up as one of the logical choices. But, maybe this board and this tv don't play well together??

Comment

This TV uses LED's not CCFL's.
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Any next steps I can take? The lingering questions seem to be:

1) Will any action or fix restore the voltages so they reach the three connectors?

2) Does the power cord configuration have anything to do with it? Seems like the answer is no because the fuse itself is reading 121.4 AC, but I'm still not sure if I need to track down the matching cord.

3) Will jumping any of the pins on the connectors help to solve or initiate anything?

~ kca

Comment

Right now we have to find out why you are not getting the standby Voltage, that needs to be fixed first.
                                    I did not look at all the pictures to trace out the standby power supply section (IC7102, Xformer T710, D7501) yet, it is going to take time to trace that out, someone else beside me can spend time doing that too.

Please provide the P/N as printed on top of SMPS IC7102.
                                    Last edited by budm; 09-01-2020, 05:57 PM.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hey budm ~

The P/N for IC7102 reads on top:

TNY274PN
                                      93477J

This link below seems like a good match w/ the 7-pins in play. Can see why you are focusing on this, budm, as it appears to be an AC / DC converter chip.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...r-Integrations
                                      Last edited by kca; 09-01-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Has this same logo on it also:
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's the best image I could get of it:
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X