Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire V17 Nitro VN7-791 Nvidia GTX960m 3rd phase GPU died

Hi,
    I have Acer Aspire V17 Nitro VN7-791 model MS2395, Nvidia GTX960m with strange problem. Few days ago laptop suddenly shuts down. After some poking around, I find that GPU 3rd phase dual-transistor died and I replaced it. Laptop works just fine for 2-3 hours, but when I started some 3D app, it starts rapidly heating and that transistor died again.
    Every other passive components are probed with ESR tester and looks good. Any ideas? Anyone has boardview to share?
    TY
    Attached Files

Re: Acer Aspire V17 Nitro VN7-791 Nvidia GTX960m 3rd phase GPU died, boardview needed

probably you need to replace both PU8204 and PU8205. have you replaced PU8205 by the same model?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by caspian; 11-20-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Re: Acer Aspire V17 Nitro VN7-791 Nvidia GTX960m 3rd phase GPU died, boardview needed

Match all the MOSFET for the GPU VCore controller with the same batch number, try to buy them new from reputable sellers
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

TY so much for schematic and advices. Yes, I replaced only PU8205 with exact same one. It was my intention to replace controller also, but I didn't have it. As soon as they arrive I'll replace and test.

Comment

remove PU8205 and measure resistance to GND on all the pads on which PU8205 was placed. then, report the measurements here. they would help diagnose the problem.
          Last edited by caspian; 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Just for clarification - I bought that laptop after previous owner told me all that facts I wrote in first post. So, I did not butchered that moherboard. Some idiot in "service" cutt off copper bar instead of removing 5 screws that hold entire heatsink. That bar was used for cooling 6 elements. CPU power IC's PU4701/4702/4703 and GPU power mosfets PU8202/8203/8205. When most of that mess was clean, I measured resistances to ground. That 13k on the PU8202 looks suspicious?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kronikus; 11-26-2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

The capacitor PT6207 is damaged as well .
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

PT8207 looks bad but isn't shorted. It have same resistance as PT8208 and PT8209. Of course that I will replace all of them because that whole area was overheated.

Comment

I think that removing 2 remaining mosfets may be good idea. That 13k resistance on PU8202 LGATE does not look good, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by kronikus View Post
                    Just for clarification - I bought that laptop after previous owner told me all that facts I wrote in first post. So, I did not butchered that moherboard. Some idiot in "service" cutt off copper bar instead of removing 5 screws that hold entire heatsink. That bar was used for cooling 6 elements. CPU power IC's PU4701/4702/4703 and GPU power mosfets PU8202/8203/8205. When most of that mess was clean, I measured resistances to ground. That 13k on the PU8202 looks suspicious?
                    hey there,i have the same problem.
                    and thanks for the information you have provided.
                    i don't understand electronics but got a lot of insight into my problem thanks to you.

entegrated graphic card hd graphics 4600 has just died for some reason and i had to replace the processor i7 4720HQ and the technician guy mistakenly did not replace the insulation tape for cooling and two of those transistors fried already.

how can i find these parts any idea how?
                    i don't know how i can search for these kind of small electronical gadgets or where to find them.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

It is not clear on the picture does those two components looks burned or look like have some residue on. But it is not transistors but capacitors. And it is best practice to replace all 3 of them with good quality ones. You can find these parts in better electronic shops or online; Mouser, TME.... This tape is not insulation but opposite - thermal conducting pad, which has to be in firm contact with elements and cooler.

Comment

It is not clear on the picture does those two components looks burned or look like have some residue on. But it is not transistors but capacitors. And it is best practice to replace all 3 of them with good quality ones. You can find these parts in better electronic shops or online; Mouser, TME.... This tape is not insulation but opposite - thermal conducting pad, which has to be in firm contact with elements and cooler.
                          thanks for your concern @kronikus
                          it is not a residue i have checked it several times.
                          thermal conducting pad has been removed by the technician.

as far as i can find on the net, they are electrolytic smd capacitors
                          i have found some types from philiphs but the numbers on them do not match.

for example this > https://www.newark.com/panasonic-ele...tor/dp/01X1138 is the same type of component but the numbers on it do not match any idea how can i find the exact ones with "A4DJPY"
                          and i cant read the numbers on those two burned.
                          is there a way to know it? maybe chipset has a blueprint and it is possible to get it ?

my chipset is poseidon 448 02G08 001M btw with GPU 960M but the one you have posted have 02G07 which is designed for GPU 860M i don't know if there is any difference.
                          Last edited by sercanuzun; 09-15-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Re: Acer Aspire V17 Nitro VN7-791 Nvidia GTX960m 3rd phase GPU died

@sercanuzun: As long as type, capacity, and voltage of capacitor are matching, any other sign is not important. Try to find parts that have as highest temperature ratio, if possible. I'm sure that burned ones are exact the same as one that remains alive. Thermal pad must be quality one because is on hegh temerature components...

Comment

@sercanuzun: As long as type, capacity, and voltage of capacitor are matching, any other sign is not important. Try to find parts that have as highest temperature ratio, if possible. I'm sure that burned ones are exact the same as one that remains alive. Thermal pad must be quality one because is on hegh temerature components...
                              thanks a lot mate.
                              i ve sent it back to the shop for revision they are gonna tell me about the cause of the problem but hope they can manage to do that otherwise i ll have to do it on my own.

Comment

Did the shop found out the problem? I guess i have a similar problem with mine.

Comment

Hi everyone i have another problem with this BOARD

When i put DC light of charge get off!

I check many things but i am not sure what make that short conect!

PU4201 getting hot with another charge, everything look good on board.

any idea where is that short conect?

Comment

Originally posted by albonview View Post
                                    Hi everyone i have another problem with this BOARD

When i put DC light of charge get off!

I check many things but i am not sure what make that short conect!

PU4201 getting hot with another charge, everything look good on board.

any idea where is that short conect?
                                    In my case PC4709 was blown but possible each cap in this area.

Comment

Another thing to check. If PU8205 constantly blows (even if replaced with a new one) there is a possibility the driver IC (PU8204) is broken.

In our case the pins 2 and 4 were shorted. You can measure that at PC8218, if it shows a short, the chip PU8204 is possibly dead and causes the MOSFET to blow. Unsolder the chip and if the short is gone, we have a winner.

Comment

Does anyone know the value of Q2603 on this board? I found a issue there while going over a previously repaired VN7-791G.

Comment

Working...
                                        X