Intel D410PT, KZG replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel D410PT, KZG replacement

Intel D410PT, a Mini-ITX board with a single core Atom D410 onboard, TDP 10W, passive cooling. It's used as a router and running 24/7 since years.

There are Rubycons, Nichicons, some cheap looking caps I can't identify in the audio circuit, two Vcore caps I also can't identify - and a single KZG, the KZG is the only one that popped.

The KZG will be replaced with a Panasonic FM 6,3/1000 I have at hand.

Does anybody recognize the manufacturer of these two?
    Attached Files

Re: Intel D410PT, KZG replacement

those are nichicon fpcaps. they are good quality japanese polymer caps so they are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
      those are nichicon fpcaps. they are good quality japanese polymer caps so they are fine.
      Concur.

Fujitsu used to make those FPCAPs originally, but then Nichicon bought them over (or something along those lines.) In any case, they are very high quality solid polymer capacitors, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Originally posted by Exim View Post
      ... and a single KZG, the KZG is the only one that popped.
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1604964005
      The KZG will be replaced with a Panasonic FM 6,3/1000 I have at hand.
      Ah, classic KZG failure.
      The 6.3V, 820 uF units are particularly prone to failure, as are their 6.3V, 3300 uF ones (but you won't find these on any recent equipment.)

The Panny FM should do just fine, even though it's not technically as good on paper in terms of specs as the KZG. But it's more than close enough. So I think it will be fine.

Comment

Seeing them side to side like that I'm starting to think the datasheet for the Rubycon MCZ is completely wrong.
        I.e. why is the height of the Rubycon twice that of the United Chemi-Con KZG with the same voltage and capacitance ratings?

According to their datasheets:
        Code:
        Model:	Size:	 ESR:	Ripple:
        KZG:	8x11.5mm 0.036	1140
        MCZ:	8x11.5mm 0.021	1340
        Related post: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...290#post998290
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          Seeing them side to side like that I'm starting to think the datasheet for the Rubycon MCZ is completely wrong.
          I.e. why is the height of the Rubycon twice that of the United Chemi-Con KZG with the same voltage and capacitance ratings?
          I think those Ruby MCZs are custom order, just like the ones for the Intel D865PERL thread that was linked.

The Xbox 360 had similar caps on the late models: Rubycon MFZ 6.3V, 820 uF in 8 x 25 mm size. Looks like Rubycon made these bigger so perhaps they could have lower ESR and handle more ripple current. And from what I've read here on the forums before, MCZ and MFZ are pretty much the same... or at least very similar. I don't think anyone has ever found a datasheet for MFZ... and it seems like they only existed on the Xbox 360 boards for the most part. So speculation is that they were a custom series for the Xbox 360 and based on MCZ.

Fun sidenote: I just used a bunch of the abovementioned MFZ to recap an old socket 939 mobo today. Most had date codes from 2007 and starting to read a bit higher on the Vloss: around 2-4%. But after a quick reform, they were able to hold nearly full rated voltage again (I didn't reform them that close to the rated voltage - only to 5V.) Either way, they showed good capacitance and ESR, despite some of them sitting in storage for close to maybe 8 years. Not as good as some old 6.3V, 2200 uF Rubycon MBZ, though - those tested perfectly in-spec on capacitance and Vloss less than 1% on most.
          Last edited by momaka; 11-15-2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            the panny fm should do just fine, even though it's not technically as good on paper in terms of specs as the kzg. But it's more than close enough. So i think it will be fine.
            Yeah, ESR is worse, but just by 2 mOhms.
            Code:
            KZG 6,3/820 0.036/1140 8x11,5 mm
            FM 6,3/1000 0.038/1290 10x12,5 mm
            Waiting for parts to arrive. There's some delay because of COVID-19, dealer says they have way more orders than usual.

Comment

Thought I had a few FM 6,3/1000 ones, but no, it was a bunch of 6,3/1500.
              So now it's a little overkill and it looks a little funny. However, specs wise it's beyond any doubt.
              Code:
              KZG 6,3/820 0.036/1140 8x11,5 mm
              FM 6,3/1500 0.019/2180 10x20 mm
              Thanks guys.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Exim View Post
                Thought I had a few FM 6,3/1000 ones, but no, it was a bunch of 6,3/1500.
                So now it's a little overkill and it looks a little funny. However, specs wise it's beyond any doubt.
                Standing tall and proud!

That said, whenever I have to fit 10 mm caps like that in a 8 mm slot, I usually pre-form a few bends on the cap leads with pliers so that the cap can fit closer to the board. That way, it makes it stand out slightly less.

Anyways, glad to hear everything worked out.

Comment

Working...
                X