N5010 high temp behind VGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N5010 high temp behind VGA

Hello, I have 2 Dell Inspiron N5010 which are shutting down after max 30 seconds.
    On both there was no image on the screen. On the first one I just reballed the same GPU but on the seconds I changed it with a new one. On both boards there is great heat on these caps C8383, C8371, C8370 and the resistance to ground on them is 10.8ohms.
    On the one that I changed the BGA, the customer had reflowed the GPU for 5-6 times. I already tried to reball them again.
    Anything else I should try??? I cannot find any short circuit.
    Attached Files

Re: N5010 high temp behind VGA

Hi,
    first check the bios version i think the latest is A12.
    second on the ati there is silicon thermal pad and not termal paste, silicon is 1mm.
    and finally check if your ic of 3v/5v goes hot if yes change it.
    good luck, i know this motherboard is very bad.

Comment

bios version is A12.
      on the ATI i put thermal paste instead of thermal pad for better heat dissipation.
      And last the IC 3v/5v is getting hot, I replaced it but the same result.

Comment

After the second replacement of the IC with a TPS51125 (didn't have another RT8205) the laptop works. Right now i'm running VGA diagnostic tool for about 20minutes and it's working without shutting down.
        Probably the 3v/5v IC was the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by John_F_L View Post
          After the second replacement of the IC with a TPS51125 (didn't have another RT8205) the laptop works. Right now i'm running VGA diagnostic tool for about 20minutes and it's working without shutting down.
          Probably the 3v/5v IC was the problem.
          I'm glad to hear that, from you. good work

Comment

Be aware that N5010 needs copper shim 1mm on GPU, the heatsink mount is poor (only 1 mounting screw) and over time the heatsink separates from the GPU hence why it dies. I have done over 20 of them along the years and not a single one came back.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
            X