Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M$ Security Essentials (MSE) Stopped updating 3 days ago....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M$ Security Essentials (MSE) Stopped updating 3 days ago....

....with network error (the network is fine), on all systems in my fleet.... No clue as to why. All Win7 machines. Even attempting to do manual definition update does not work...

What's everyone's free antivirus program out there? I've always liked malwarebytes, but the free version sucks....constant naggers to buy and very limited....I did check these systems just to make sure, they're clean.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: M$ Security Essentials (MSE) Stopped updating 3 days ago....

Just checked a couple windows 7-64 pc's and MSE is up to date 10/24/2019 : def_ver: 1.305.553.0
    Last edited by R_J; 10-24-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Here's the errors I'm getting:

It seems to download everything, but when it goes to the install portion, it shits the bed with the following.

Here's the info:

I called a friend (out of state) and asked if his was working, he was getting the same errors I am.
      Attached Files
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I think the fault could be with windows root certificates and not mse, Check that error code on line.
        Can you manually install the definition update? from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...or-microsoft-s
        Last edited by R_J; 10-24-2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I use AVG free on all my computers except for the computer for uploading a scanner feed to broadcastify. AVG doesn't play well with it. Just make sure you turn off all notifications and turn on silent mode and you won't get the upgrade nags.
          Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Working OK here

Have you installed other updates? - if not, who knows what dependencies may be involved

Here's my details, couldn't work out how to get Info pic you've shown
            Attached Files
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
              Working OK here

Have you installed other updates? - if not, who knows what dependencies may be involved
              That's what I'm thinking....I can't even manually install the updates... I'm leary of doing a full update of windows....M$ isnt the most trustworthy these days...
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                That's what I'm thinking....I can't even manually install the updates... I'm leary of doing a full update of windows....M$ isnt the most trustworthy these days...
                Boss TopCat. try Get here www.ninite.com

Comment

I'm leary of doing a full update of windows
                  Me too - FWIW mine's set to check choose & install, usually do it daily (still haven't installed Silverlight though)

No getting round the fact that Windows Update is a real PITA - and IMO Win10 is worse than Win7

[Evangelize]Try MX Linux - most of mine now dual-boot MX & Win7, getting close to weaning off M$ for good[/Evangelize]

Only spoiled by Windows Update getting Fatal Error during Monthly Rollup installation - fixed by disabling dual-boot prior to install, re-enabling afterwards
                  better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Windows Update is SHA2 only from now.
                    You need to patch the system, but make a backup first.
                    I had to recover a system that installed the August monthly rollup because that patch broke UEFI boot in Win7.
                    A workaround was to have KB3133977 already installed, or the "Win7 post SP1 rollup" patch KB3125574 which includes it.
                    This should be fixed in the currently available patches so backup and try to patch...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-and-wsus
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Installing KB4490628 fixed it for me on Win 7 ,before that i couldn`t install the Security Rollup.Windows defender wouldn`t update until i ran a quick scan,then updated it manually.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-25-2019, 12:36 PM.
                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

The security rollup (KB4056894) fixed it. I really thought I had the rollup installed, it contains the 'wannacry' patch.....but turns out I only installed the standalone for 'wannacry'....that's what threw me, I thought I had the necessary patches installed....well silly me!!

Thanks fellas!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Ah, good ol' MSE: one of the first things I disable on a new OS install, along with many other things. I haven't found a need for an Anti-virus software (be it free or paid) for a long time now. Seems like many of the malicious code writers have gone to other methods, such as ads that mine crypto-currencies and whatnot on your PC, while your browser is open with them.

Comment

The security rollup (KB4056894) fixed it. I really thought I had the rollup installed, it contains the 'wannacry' patch.....but turns out I only installed the standalone for 'wannacry'....that's what threw me, I thought I had the necessary patches installed....well silly me!!

Thanks fellas!
                            That is confusing because that patch is way too old to give you SHA-2 support.
                            So I guess MS must still be making definition updates that are compatible with Windows XP and Vista for MSE which will not get the SHA-2 patch?
                            Here is a quote from the Windows Defender definition download page for example, the link within is the same as I provided in my earlier post:
                            Note: Starting on Monday October 21, 2019, the Security intelligence update packages will be SHA2 signed.
                            Please make sure you have the necessary update installed to support SHA2 signing, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              That is confusing because that patch is way too old to give you SHA-2 support.
                              So I guess MS must still be making definition updates that are compatible with Windows XP and Vista for MSE which will not get the SHA-2 patch?
                              Here is a quote from the Windows Defender definition download page for example, the link within is the same as I provided in my earlier post:
                              I dunno...it started working after installing it. I started with the eldest with the intent of working my way forward to see what changed....got it on the first try.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

There are no more updates for windows xp, It won't update anymore and manual updtae does'nt work either. On my XP PC, mse definitions are 147 days old, a small change keeps the icon green

Comment

Lovely...one of these updates broke something in RDC....I can no longer RDC into my S2K12 R2 NAS.... Always fugging something with MS these days....
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Lovely...one of these updates broke something in RDC....I can no longer RDC into my S2K12 R2 NAS.... Always fugging something with MS these days....
                                    I got around to troubleshooting this today. The September rollup (KB4516067) for S2K12 R2 fixed this.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                      Windows Update is SHA2 only from now.
                                      Interestingly, I have yet to see ISOs with an SHA2 hash available from Microsoft.

But the Windows ISOs, do at least have SHA1. And even SHA1 is now considered a risk! (albeit a remote risk) Much less me ever wanting to see MD5 used!
                                      With even SHA1 considered a risk, a Linux distro still using MD5, for example, is considered criminal!
                                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-03-2019, 12:43 PM.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Linux uses MD5 to detect corruped downloads,

if your trying to detect tampering then any hash can be faked,
                                        you need to use 2 different methods and even that can be done if someone wants it enough.

Comment

Working...
                                        X