Soldering with a tremor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldering with a tremor.

Has anyone else here got a tremor? I have benign essential tremor and it really screws up my ability to do any kind of fine soldering. I've gotten a little better at it over time but it's still a really big barrier, and I kind of gave up with laptop mainboard repair because of it. If anyone else has this, any tips on keeping the iron a bit more stable?
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Re: Soldering with a tremor.

Is it only a hand-tremor? (hand shaking) I tend to get that when holding Intel CPUs, right before getting them into the socket!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

It is yep - annoyingly it's the type that gets worse when your hand muscles are tensed! I usually have to stabilise the iron with both hands, but of course that makes it really difficult to keep components positioned while I'm soldering
      Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
        Has anyone else here got a tremor? I have benign essential tremor and it really screws up my ability to do any kind of fine soldering.
        Sorry to hear that. Apparently, about 10% of men over 50 develop ET.

(Q: have you noticed if the motion is more side-to-side than front-to-back?)

I've gotten a little better at it over time but it's still a really big barrier, and I kind of gave up with laptop mainboard repair because of it. If anyone else has this, any tips on keeping the iron a bit more stable?
        You might try to use a hot-air iron so you don't have to hold the iron as firmly to the work. This has limitations depending on the type of components you're looking to remove/install.

You can purchase "rework fixtures" that can hold the "iron" and then use coarse motor skills to maneuver the work into position/contact with the business end of the iron.

https://www.hakkousa.com/products/ac...tand-9891.html

https://www.hakkousa.com/products/ac...-802-803b.html

Leister used to sell a nice one but no longer offer it.

Comment

My father claims the resolution to his is to just drink more beer and liquor

Don't ask for the scientific evidence on that, though.

On a more serious note... not sure what to suggest. Hot air may indeed work for some tasks.

Comment

a double single malt whisky works .

Comment

Well, I didn't recall having a hand tremor with the Ryzen upgrade!
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
              X