replacement triac for BGA welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement triac for BGA welder

I have a Puhui BGA infra red welder. Its in pieces as there are so many things wrong with it I'm doing an upgrade so its usable again. Its poor quality and I wouldn't buy again-Puhui have gone bust anyway, but we are where we are so an upgrade is better than scrapping altogether. There are 2 identical triacs on the small circuit board, both BT139's. 1 is for the IR lamp- 20v AC and 1 is for 240V 800w pre-heater, it draws 10 amps so is nearer 1250 watts. The IR triac went down so I swopped the triac heater over just to establish everthing works and it does. So now I need a substitute triac as the BT139 800 is no longer available. The BT139 800 triac is 16A 600V.
    I have in my stock new TIC246M triacs also rated at 16A 600V. Thats where the similarity ends. The Tic only operates in 1-3 quandrants, the BT in all 4 quadrants. I have no idea what that means-just got it off the spec sheets. Also gate current and gate holding voltages slightly different. Again I do not have the knowledge to know if this should be taken into account hence my post here.
    Am I going to do irepairable damage by trying a Tic and would it be better operating the IR lamp or heater?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cornboats; 04-12-2020, 04:20 AM. Reason: attachments to add

Re: replacement triac for BGA welder

does rs components have anything suitable ?

Comment

they have then in stock . RS Stock No. 484-2814

Comment

It's not a critical circuit, I would say you could drop in the TIC246M in place of BT139. The heating element is mostly a resistive load (it does have little inductance), so a 4-quadrant triac will work OK, the board also has snubbers anyhow.

One problem is the triac has a small heatsink? it will dissipate about 3-5W of heat at 800W/240VAC full on. The heatsink ends up hazardous live (connected to triac middle pin). Some triacs have isolated tab to make life easier.

Careful with these chinese boards- the heatsink can't be right on top of pcb traces, I use a strip of Kapton tape or an air gap so it doesn't short out to anything. It has to be clean because the PCB has small clearance between mains traces/pads and the low voltage side. Use IPA and q-tip to clean off the flux, no solder splats.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. If I use the tic246m, would it be better switching the infra red light or the heater? I was going to fit independent heat sinks to both triacs and also install an additional fan, theres 1 already in the heater bay.

Comment

Just an update. I fitted TIC246M triacs to both IR lamp and heater circuits. added an additional fan to keep circuit board cooler.
            Works ok but haven't tested doing a reflow yet.
            The 2 temperature displays read 10c different with similar probes into same heat source.
            Thanks for those who replied.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornboats View Post
              Just an update. I fitted TIC246M triacs to both IR lamp and heater circuits. added an additional fan to keep circuit board cooler.
              Works ok but haven't tested doing a reflow yet.
              The 2 temperature displays read 10c different with similar probes into same heat source.
              Thanks for those who replied.

Has your repair keep working or there other issues
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I haven't had an opportunity to test by reflowing yet. The only problem is the innacurate readout given by the 2 digital heat sensors. Theres a 10 degree c difference between the 2, using identical thermocouples sensing the same heat source.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornboats View Post
                  I haven't had an opportunity to test by reflowing yet. The only problem is the innacurate readout given by the 2 digital heat sensors. Theres a 10 degree c difference between the 2, using identical thermocouples sensing the same heat source.
                  You can use iced (0c) and boiling (100c) water to verify them.

Comment

Update on the BGA welder repair. I've reflowed 2 bga's now and the pre heat element and ifa red lamp are working fine except theres no temperature control. I have to turn off the heat manually - but thats no big deal.
                    There is a wide difference in temperature measurement between the 2 on board temperature detectors. I have changed both 2 wire thermocouples so maybe I've used the wrong type. I based the replacement on what had been in before ie 2 wire red & black.

Comment

Working...
                    X