Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epson 5040UB Projector No Lamp Strike Stuck in Startup - Blinking Status/Lamp Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Epson 5040UB Projector No Lamp Strike Stuck in Startup - Blinking Status/Lamp Lig

Originally posted by vestaviascott View Post
    If its not the chip, would you say the most likely issue is the ballast?
    could you confirm the sockets remarked on the photo correct or it may the ballast socked another one at same place but hidden under the cable?
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Epson 5040UB Projector No Lamp Strike Stuck in Startup - Blinking Status/Lamp Lig

picture of some moderate close ups of the connectors areas might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
        could you confirm the sockets remarked on the photo correct or it may the ballast socked another one at same place but hidden under the cable?
        Thanks! Finally getting around to taking some pics! I've been working on my mower trying to fix a loose belt, lol.

I've attached a few closeup shots of the areas you indicate. The ballast is actually under the lamp at the top left corner of the photo you referenced. There is also a connector labeled BLT where the black sheathed cable is connected in that area.

Here are the pics of the area's you highlighted on the photo:

PWB?

Ballast? It appears to be labeled as a FAN circuit

Here is a photo of the connector near the lamp marked "BLT":

A photo of the BLT (bottom right) and the hot PWM chip (top right) in same photo shot:

Finally, here is a closeup of the connectors right next to the lamp and above the ballast area:
        Last edited by vestaviascott; 08-09-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
          picture of some moderate close ups of the connectors areas might help.
          THANKS! Here are the remaining close-up photos not posted above:

The lamp housing showing a portion of the ballast below (Black/White/Black wires are the lamp door switch):

Ballast below lamp housing and lamp blower fan:

Last edited by vestaviascott; 08-09-2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

good work... not sure it helps me lots as I have only had my optoma apart for general cleaning and not really looking closely at boards and such. Same with my DLP rear projection sammy with LED light sources. Anyway, I was hoping that there some markings for some basic voltages in and around the areas to do simple checks. :-(

Not sure how easy it is for you to cause operation, in terms of interlock switches and such and do a few more cable unplugs to check system response / light outcomes... although it seems to be pointing at the ballast / bulb area. IF you can, I would unplug the ballast connector which I am hoping is just power / control to the ballast (while the output of the ballast goes directly to the bulb / connector somewhere else). IF possible, what is the result? Beyond that maybe diah or others know what a typical ballast takes for input and you can possibly do some careful measurements in and around that connector to see if those are correct... careful is the operative word although I wound not expect very unusual / high voltages there.... but you never know.
            In general, the only way that I have seem a "ballast / bulb" problem overcome, it to have a known working ballast and bulb, then use a "substitution method" to determine which is at fault. Having said that, reads appear to indicate that there are some component level checks (non- powered) in the ballast that might indicate a failure if out of spec. It would appear that "general" ballast inpit voltages are in the <400v dc range so that might be a useful check.
            Last edited by budwich; 08-09-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

please for future photos to upload use uploads attachments not the external links for photos.

you still have allot to do lol... you need to unplug all sockets from MB ( main boards ) and the 3 LCD ribbon to take out the MB and to have access to the PWB ( power boards ) and the ballast.
              NOTICE: don't scare about so many sockets.. EPSON arranged them by size and cable long too.. so no way to miss up with sockets when you put every things back.

Comment

please for future photos to upload use uploads attachments not the external links for photos.
                Noted. Thanks! I suppose that's so they don't expire or end up as broken links? I can redo them if it helps.

you still have allot to do lol... you need to unplug all sockets from MB ( main boards ) and the 3 LCD ribbon to take out the MB and to have access to the PWB ( power boards ) and the ballast.
                NOTICE: don't scare about so many sockets.. EPSON arranged them by size and cable long too.. so no way to miss up with sockets when you put every things back.
                Yes, I was trying to get away with not having to remove everything because some of the screws are fine and some are course and there are lots of them. Anyway, I guess I'll just need to dive in.

There is a video of a similar projector teardown here that I'm taking notes on:

https://youtu.be/fN7dAm7DrWE

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                  Beyond that maybe diah or others know what a typical ballast takes for input and you can possibly do some careful measurements in and around that connector to see if those are correct... careful is the operative word although I wound not expect very unusual / high voltages there.... but you never know.
                  thanks budwich to share with us yours experience with yours projectors.. here as most new PROJ. the ballast communicated to MB as receive and send digital signal 0/1, this cant be tracked at home user equipment's. so the only left typical component check at ballast and PWB.

i am afraid this EPSON had during normal projection the LAMP blow up.. i can tell this set was open before OP open it.

so i will let the talk about what will happen if lamp blowing up at projection... let hope some things not serious. depend on OP work and clear photos always provided over this threat.

Comment

i am afraid this EPSON had during normal projection the LAMP blow up.. i can tell this set was open before OP open it.
                    Interesting. I could detect no signs of it being opened before. The screwheads I removed appeared to be virgin. Can you tell me what telltales you are referring to (both opened before AND "blown up" lamp) so that I may check closer?

Comment

the old original lamp will tell you if its blowing ... not me..
                      about open 2 cable of fans are not in original way connected to its sockets
                      Last edited by Diah; 08-09-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

the old original lamp will tell you if its blowing ... not me..
                        I really appreciate your help, but I'm not following you. The original bulb may in fact be blown, but it does not appear to be "Blown Up" in the literal sense. The glass is fully intact.

It appears to be the original projector lamp (or atleast it say "EPSON" on the housing). You said you could tell the projector has been opened up before I opened, it. How?

You also said the lamp "blew up" exploded during normal operation. How can you tell?
                        Last edited by vestaviascott; 08-09-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

What does "PWB" stand for? Nevermind, I see above you remarked its the "Power Board".
                          Last edited by vestaviascott; 08-09-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

about open 2 cable of fans are not in original way connected to its sockets
                            Which ones? How do they appear wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by vestaviascott View Post
                              It appears to be the original projector lamp (or atleast it say "EPSON" on the housing). I'm not following you I'm afraid. You said you could tell the projector has been opened up before I opened, it. How?

You also said the lamp "blew up" exploded during normal operation. How can you tell?
                              1- about open ... see attached your photo, epson never deliver projector with this child way cable tree.
                              2- about lamp. if impervious users ignore lamp change warning several time depend on the use and how many time the lamp used hours reset via after service menu.. the FW will send high pules to kill the lamp ( command kill you before kill me ) lol... this you have the AY part at high pules which become warm.

well all above theories but of sure i think it was opened and lamp explosion

don't lost the hope... nothings impossible.
                              Attached Files

Comment

thanks budwich to share with us yours experience with yours projectors.. here as most new PROJ. the ballast communicated to MB as receive and send digital signal 0/1, this cant be tracked at home user equipment's. so the only left typical component check at ballast and PWB.

so i will let the talk about what will happen if lamp blowing up at projection... let hope some things not serious. depend on OP work and clear photos always provided over this threat.
                                :-) I wasn't talking about any digital signals. All that is needed is to look / check the input voltage... plain and simple.... thanks for your insight.

Comment

Have you had any luck with this projector? I have mine torn down. I've tested most components on the power supply, but haven't found anything wrong with it yet. This is a very common failure on these projectors. It'd be great if we could figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by kdammen View Post
                                    Have you had any luck with this projector? I have mine torn down. I've tested most components on the power supply, but haven't found anything wrong with it yet. This is a very common failure on these projectors. It'd be great if we could figure it out.
                                    Unfortunately not. I ended up selling it for parts on ebay. I sent it to fixitfrank Youttube channel guy and he said the optical assembly would have to be replaced to fix it.

It's honestly not looking good. I am pretty sure the issue is in the main microprocessor. I can jump start the ballast and the main power supply is fine. That main IC is getting very hot and I can't find any other parts that are relating to the issue.

To replace that IC is not an option. It's not available and it has software flashed on it that I can't get. The best option is an entire mainboard/optic assembly which is pretty pricey. I can look at used but then we're not knowing the history or how long it will last. Im OK with used electronics but used optics is another story.
                                    Last edited by vestaviascott; 02-07-2022, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I wonder what component he was referring to in the optical assembly, doesn't seem to be a lot there. I might send him an email.

Comment

Working...
                                      X