Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people use TEAPO / YAGEO / G-LUXON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people use TEAPO / YAGEO / G-LUXON?

I've seen some posts where people are fine with having TEAPOs in their PSUs and other applications. Not to mention there was some warmth towards YAGEO (which is ran by TEAPO), and I would presume G-LUXON as a result, as TEAPO makes those as well. I've seen some folks seriously debate if TEAPO or Capxon was better... heh. That's like arguing evercon vs. fuhjyyu.

They are *terrible* electrolytics... they let excessive noise through (measurable either by watching your PSUs voltages or in audio applications where hum and hiss will penetrate), don't last very long, and never perform to their specified ratings.

I have an awesome IBM 800 watt PSU stuffed with proper rubycons, and it hits 11.98v on the 12V rail, and all of the other voltages are *spot* on. I checked TEAPO adorned PSUs and... yeah... the 12v rail was almost hitting 13v.

I had an old analog synth stuffed with some TEAPOs on a controller board that was added in (for MIDI purposes)-- the 3rd party add-on was done in recent times. Well after using the synth for a few months it started to lose its mind and the controller was changing all of the settings at random (and some settings that weren't even on the physical control panel...).
    Popped it open, and what do you know. TEAPOs littered the add-on controller board. Replaced them with Chemicon KYs and Rubycon RX30s-- problem gone.
    --> of course I've seen countless devices with failed exploded TEAPOs, but the above story was more interesting as those were "fresh" TEAPOs that were cosmetically fine doing weird things.

To me TEAPO is almost the epitome of what a 'bad capacitor' entails.

Anyways, I'd like to hear any other stories with TEAPO (bad / good), or why people seriously want to use these things-- or any derivatives in the "TEAPO family".

Re: Why do people use TEAPO / YAGEO / G-LUXON?

I think alot of the problem is manufacturing, teapo used to make their capacitors in taiwan but around 2002 or so started making them in china and the quality has dropped somewhat, I have old devices from the 80s with teapos that work just fine, its just a luck of the draw or lottery,but compaired to GSC sacon or other guaranteed to fail chinese brands the teapos really arent that bad. the other day i replaced one bloated teapo in a psu the cap was in a hot spot touching the coil of the psu so it failed, I did not want to recap the whole psu so i got a identical teapo put it in its place and moved it away from the hot coil, psu works great and voltages are in spec and its in a non critical application so if it failed i wouldn't really care.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
      I think alot of the problem is manufacturing, teapo used to make their capacitors in taiwan but around 2002 or so started making them in china and the quality has dropped somewhat, I have old devices from the 80s with teapos that work just fine, its just a luck of the draw or lottery,but compaired to GSC sacon or other guaranteed to fail chinese brands the teapos really arent that bad. the other day i replaced one bloated teapo in a psu the cap was in a hot spot touching the coil of the psu so it failed, I did not want to recap the whole psu so i got a identical teapo put it in its place and moved it away from the hot coil, psu works great and voltages are in spec and its in a non critical application so if it failed i wouldn't really care.
      So if you did have something that was mission critical, would you still use TEAPO?
      Also out of curiosity, how much did the TEAPO cap cost-- I'm buying some beefy GXes (to recap some vintage Marcons) that are going to cost me $40 in total.

Comment

Originally posted by theokretes View Post
        So if you did have something that was mission critical, would you still use TEAPO?
        Also out of curiosity, how much did the TEAPO cap cost-- I'm buying some beefy GXes (to recap some vintage Marcons) that are going to cost me $40 in total.
        if it was mission critical no, I bought a lot of 10 2200uf 16v teapo SC it was 7.50 alltogether with free ship from taiwan off ebay mockingbird said the seller was okay and they were legit teapos. otherwise panasonic is my personal favorite, just never see them fail however i do see failed UCC nichicon and rubycons from time to time but only in the space heater dells.
        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I have seen failed Panasonic capacitors. They were primary caps on active pfc Tagan psu and Panasonic FJ on fanless low level graphics card.

Comment

yeah i forgot to mention I did see them fail, near the agp slot on the 270s i saw two that actually the cap started to lift off the bung, but other then that out of the 100s of 270s I saw I never once saw them bloat on the VRM caps behind the processor, where nichicon and rubycon would. no cap is perfect but for me they seem to be the closest.

Comment

Anyways, I'd like to hear any other stories with TEAPO (bad / good), or why people seriously want to use these things-- or any derivatives in the "TEAPO family".
              It's not that I "want to use them", but often times, they are just there already and if it's some cheap piece of equipment, or the Teapo caps are in a spot unlikely to fail, then I won't replace them.

Case in point:
              Two years ago, my friend was working in some cheapskate towing company and they had their main PC go down. My friend told them that I do a lot of computer repairs and could have a look at it before they spend any money at a repair shop. My internship at the time was very close to his towing company's office, so I came the same night and immediately saw the cheap PSU in the computer - a low-end LinkWorld PSU. It was faulty (bad solder joint on 3.3V rail coil, though I found this too late to fix it for them). They asked, "how much to repair it? If it's more than $30, we'd rather buy a new computer." Knowing that they were cheapskates, I knew that they would probably throw the computer away (which would be a shame, since the motherboard was decent and had a dual or quad core CPU) and buy another junk build. I should have asked what their intentions were if it did cost more than $30... but I didn't. So instead, I decided that I will fix it. Micro Center was also nearby and I was with my bike, so I said, "probably $10-15 for a new refurbed PSU, but I can't give you any warranty except for whatever the refurbed PSU carries". They said "sounds good".

I went to MC, grabbed one of those refurbed built-like-a-tank 250W HiPro PSUs for $5, popped it open, checked it - no bad caps, though they were all Teapo - and then I put it back together and installed it in the computer. One year later, and that PC was still working.

This is not an example of how good Teapo is, but rather, that there are times where it just isn't worth bothering to replace them.

I myself don't trust Teapo anymore, because they seem to fail very inconsistently, unlike OST and Taicon (and a few other brands) which usually fail due to excess heat. In particular, I find that small-diameter Teapo caps (8mm and smaller) fail very often - even with very little use. Most likely very unstable electrolyte or perhaps they are manufactured in a different factory. Their 10mm and higher caps are nowhere near as bad.

That's like arguing evercon vs. fuhjyyu.
              Oh, I'll take Fuhjyyu any day over Sacon, Evercon, and GSC. The latter are guaranteed to fail. Fuhjyyu is actually not all too bad, but they are inconsistent like Teapo. In any case, at least I've seen more than a few high voltage Fuhjyyu primary caps in PSUs, and they rarely had or gave problems even after a very long time. Also have many PSUs with Fuhjyyu caps that are 10+ years old and still up to specs. As long as the heat is kept down, Fuhjyyu *might* just do okay. With Teapo, it's that plus draw of luck. And with Sacon, GSC, and Evercon, it's... well nothing - they just fail no matter how you treat them.

Originally posted by BigTroll
              yeah i forgot to mention I did see them fail, near the agp slot on the 270s...
              That's a special case of retarded Foxconn/Intel design. There is a MOSFET near that cap that reaches case temperatures in excess of 75C and so does that cap, since it's next to it.
              So yeah, no wonder anything fails there.
              Last edited by momaka; 08-10-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

^
                Yup. Those Dell roasting ovens will kill any electrolytic cap. I've only ever recapped one GX270 (since they are so old now that I can't even give them away), but I polymodded it specifically for that reason.

As for teapo, I used to class them right down, almost with Sacon, but I've softened a little towards them over the last year or so. I don't see them fail quite as often as I used to, although I still replace them no questions asked on all of my gear and won't buy anything that uses them if I can help it.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  I myself don't trust Teapo anymore, because they seem to fail very inconsistently, unlike OST and Taicon (and a few other brands) which usually fail due to excess heat. In particular, I find that small-diameter Teapo caps (8mm and smaller) fail very often - even with very little use. Most likely very unstable electrolyte or perhaps they are manufactured in a different factory. Their 10mm and higher caps are nowhere near as bad.

Oh, I'll take Fuhjyyu any day over Sacon, Evercon, and GSC. The latter are guaranteed to fail. Fuhjyyu is actually not all too bad, but they are inconsistent like Teapo. In any case, at least I've seen more than a few high voltage Fuhjyyu primary caps in PSUs, and they rarely had or gave problems even after a very long time. Also have many PSUs with Fuhjyyu caps that are 10+ years old and still up to specs. As long as the heat is kept down, Fuhjyyu *might* just do okay. With Teapo, it's that plus draw of luck. And with Sacon, GSC, and Evercon, it's... well nothing - they just fail no matter how you treat them.
                  Fuhjyyu in my opinion are possibly *the worst* capacitors. I don't think it's a matter of inconsistencies, but pure chance if they'll actually 'work' as a capacitor.

OST always fail in situations where regular capacitors are still operating fine. Unacceptable.

So from what I gather, TEAPO is simply just left in things that aren't important. I'm not sure if I would go through the effort to purchase some though... especially since they seem to be more expensive that quality capacitors at lower values-- most likely due to price spiking from resellers.

Also TEAPOs always use bungs with a circular pattern:

You can often find fake rubycons / nichicons with those bungs. As such I'm not convinced there are 'counterfeit' TEAPOs if they are themselves used to make counterfeits...

Comment

Fuhjyyu in my opinion are possibly *the worst* capacitors. I don't think it's a matter of inconsistencies, but pure chance if they'll actually 'work' as a capacitor.

OST always fail in situations where regular capacitors are still operating fine. Unacceptable.

So from what I gather, TEAPO is simply just left in things that aren't important. I'm not sure if I would go through the effort to purchase some though... especially since they seem to be more expensive that quality capacitors at lower values-- most likely due to price spiking from resellers.

You can often find fake rubycons / nichicons with those bungs. As such I'm not convinced there are 'counterfeit' TEAPOs if they are themselves used to make counterfeits...
                    I had some counterfeit teapos with a non-circular bung and the weird off-X vent. It's probably in my thread history somewhere. I've thrown them out now though.

Comment

I've seen a number of different bungs on even genuine Teapo caps:

Circles inside circles (6 rings visible)
                      Circle inside circle (2-3 rings visible, as pictured above)
                      Single circle
                      I-beam shape (bung split in half like more expensive caps)
                      Completely flat (560uF SK filter caps with normal leads)

Comment

Looks like I have been very "lucky" then. Almost all Fuhjyyu caps that I have encountered so far have performed may years of service in PSUs - most were still in spec upon ESR meter inspection too (yes, I did pull more than a few out). It's when the heat goes up that they die. Had three PSUs with seized fans, and all three had Fuhjyyus bulging. The others in other PSUs were fine.

I guess we will see, though. Someone from BCN sent me a new PSU. It's well-built but has mostly Fuhyyu caps inside (along with a few scattered Teapos). I'm planning to use it AS-IS in a non-critical PC. Will let you know how long it takes to cook those caps. The PC will have a Pentium D 830 CPU. That in itself should clue you in on the kind of torture expected .

Regular, as in general purpose Japanese ones?
                        I think you are exaggerating here.
                        OST is not too bad, but I suggest everyone to avoid their RLX and RLZ series (i.e. the ultra-low ESR ones on motherboards). They don't do well with heat. RLP and RLG is fairly okay, but again - no heat abuse. Only RLS seems to be a bit more stable - these I've seen and pulled from plenty of hot running equipment, and they were still in spec

Hardly true.
                        Like Heihachi_73, I've seen them with bull's-eye circular bungs (i.e. multiple rings inside), single ring bung, and flat bung. Moreover, this variation can often be observed in a single series. For example, I pulled probably about 100 or so small Teapo SC 6.3V 1000uF 8mm caps from HP DC5000 computers. All of them had the three variations I mentioned above. So Teapo likely has multiple lines or even multiple factories for their caps. And the fact that they have different bungs tells me that they don't always build their caps up to their "design" specs.
                        Based on those 6.3V 1000uF SCs I pulled, I tried to make sense of which bungs yielded the most fail. The result was... inconclussive. Teapo caps just fail at will (and even more so with just a slight hint of heat).

Anyways, I'm not trying to advocate the use of these Chinese and Taiwanese caps. Just simply trying to distinguish between which ones will likely need changing right away, and which ones may just run for another mile or so.
                        Therefore, the bottom line is: if you care about some piece of equipment, recap it with good quality Japanese caps.
                        Last edited by momaka; 08-17-2014, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Some Teapos also use this bung.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I haven't had a problem with G-Luxon caps, but I haven't seen any of the newer ones. The older ones that weren't made by Teapo weren't that bad.

Comment

^
                              I've seen those pre-teapo G-Luxons fail left, right and center. They were right down with GSC/Sacon IMO.
                              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                Looks like I have been very "lucky" then. Almost all Fuhjyyu caps that I have encountered so far have performed may years of service in PSUs - most were still in spec upon ESR meter inspection too (yes, I did pull more than a few out). It's when the heat goes up that they die. Had three PSUs with seized fans, and all three had Fuhjyyus bulging. The others in other PSUs were fine.

I guess we will see, though. Someone from BCN sent me a new PSU. It's well-built but has mostly Fuhyyu caps inside (along with a few scattered Teapos). I'm planning to use it AS-IS in a non-critical PC. Will let you know how long it takes to cook those caps. The PC will have a Pentium D 830 CPU. That in itself should clue you in on the kind of torture expected .

Regular, as in general purpose Japanese ones?
                                I think you are exaggerating here.
                                OST is not too bad, but I suggest everyone to avoid their RLX and RLZ series (i.e. the ultra-low ESR ones on motherboards). They don't do well with heat. RLP and RLG is fairly okay, but again - no heat abuse. Only RLS seems to be a bit more stable - these I've seen and pulled from plenty of hot running equipment, and they were still in spec

Hardly true.
                                Like Heihachi_73, I've seen them with bull's-eye circular bungs (i.e. multiple rings inside), single ring bung, and flat bung. Moreover, this variation can often be observed in a single series. For example, I pulled probably about 100 or so small Teapo SC 6.3V 1000uF 8mm caps from HP DC5000 computers. All of them had the three variations I mentioned above. So Teapo likely has multiple lines or even multiple factories for their caps. And the fact that they have different bungs tells me that they don't always build their caps up to their "design" specs.
                                Based on those 6.3V 1000uF SCs I pulled, I tried to make sense of which bungs yielded the most fail. The result was... inconclussive. Teapo caps just fail at will (and even more so with just a slight hint of heat).

Anyways, I'm not trying to advocate the use of these Chinese and Taiwanese caps. Just simply trying to distinguish between which ones will likely need changing right away, and which ones may just run for another mile or so.
                                Therefore, the bottom line is: if you care about some piece of equipment, recap it with good quality Japanese caps.
                                Well there was a Lenovo motherboard I saw littered with failed exploded baby OSTs near some Rubycon MBZs that were fine... temperature was not a factor.
                                (I still attest that MBZ does not have a premature 100 hour rating like MCZ)

Originally posted by Jooo View Post
                                Some Teapos also use this bung.
                                Actually I think I remember seeing that type a long while back. However, I'm pretty sure all of the green/gold TEAPOs have the circular bungs.

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                ^
                                I've seen those pre-teapo G-Luxons fail left, right and center. They were right down with GSC/Sacon IMO.
                                This is sort of the 'phenomenon' I wanted to explore with this topic: as there's a lot of variances with how people rate bottom of the barrel capacitor manufacturers. Some say they're decent, terrible, fantastic, etc.

I suppose it personally disturbs me that consideration is still given to these brands.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                  ^
                                  I haven't personally seen a bad one, but I have seen lots of pictures of them. The green ones used on motherboards seemed to be junk, but the standard general purpose and low ESR caps don't seem to be that bad. I think they're better than CapXon.
                                  I suppose it personally disturbs me that consideration is still given to these brands.
                                  I wouldn't buy them new, but I'll take caps from junk electronics and use them in non-critical projects that only I will use. I know they aren't good, but they're good enough for what I'm doing. There's no point in looking for these brands of caps when I can get Nichicon or Panasonic caps from DigiKey instead.

Comment

However, I'm pretty sure all of the green/gold TEAPOs have the circular bungs.
                                    No, some of them have a flat bung. Like I said, I have a bunch of small gold/green 6.3V, 1000 uF Teapo SC, all in 8 mm diameter, and they do have different bungs.

Well, it has to be. Sometimes it is just not worth bothering to recap, say a PSU, if you know that the owner will likely throw it away in a year or two and if the crappy caps are still holding up. Best example of that is Delta, LiteON, and HiPro PSUs.
                                    Delta regularly uses Ltec and Taicon and in most cases they do hold up fine for many years. Same goes for LiteON and OST as well as HiPro and Asia-X.

Also, primary / high voltage capacitors from Teapo, OST, and Fuhjyyu rarely fail, whereas more crappy brands such as CapXon fail a lot more often or show lower capacitance than what is printed on their label.

Comment

Delta regularly uses Ltec and Taicon and in most cases they do hold up fine for many years. Same goes for LiteON and OST as well as HiPro and Asia-X.
                                      Hipro never used Asia-X (Fuhjyyu), they used Asiacon (whose parent company, Kaimei, is also Jamicon's). Asiacon's quality, I don't know. You can actually see one failed (bulged) here on the input of the +5V PI filter in a Dell Dimension 8200 power supply (HP-P2507F3P with a manufacture date of September of 2001 with Asiacon on the output and Panasonic on the input), a 4700uF 10V 13x31 Asiacon LE (I pointed this out to him in the comments and he replaced it, and that series isn't general purpose but a direct cross to Panasonic FK, basically) The ADDA fan hadn't yet failed but was starting to sound grungy so the person in the video oiled it. The PSU was still working with the failed capacitor, for how long though I don't know.

But if you watch the video in 720p or 1080p and turn the brightness of your monitor up, you can actually see the blades of the fan spinning without the person using a flashlight, so Hipro doesn't have the most aggressive fan controllers in their PSUs (but are far from the worst as they still spin much faster than that of the Antec/CWT SmartPower debacle). On the other hand, lti posted a power supply (HP-P2507F3C, also full of Asiacon excepting Panasonic primaries) that had 8-9 years of 24/7 use and even after the ADDA fan seized (not because of a lack of a lubricant but because the thermistor fell out of the metal clip), only one Asiacon, a 2200uF 10V 10x20 Asiacon LE on the input of the +3.3V rail, visibly bulged, and the fan had seized for quite a while. And the Asiacons on the +12V rail and +5V output of my Hipro also survived after the fan seized (so did the G-Luxon and Teapo present in the PSU, somehow), after 16,000 hours of use. So I think it's fair to say that Asiacon's quality is just inconsistent.

Not sure if Lite-on power supplies are that great either - Pete had one fail after 4 years of use because of bad OSTs and LTEC LZPs. But then Pentium4 posted one two years ago that had six years of daily use and none of the capacitors had failed (OST and LTEC being the brands on the output), so once again, inconsistency. Lite-on PSUs also seem to have a penchant for going bad for non-cap reasons, even before the conductive glue in their units has the chance to blacken (if there). The well ventilated and cooled Delta/Newton power supplies are very good indeed, however. P4 posted one two years ago and it had 30,000 hours of use with all the LTEC LZG on the output still being fine. Mind you this was a design that had the fan in the front, like the Liteon P4 posted, so not the best design but they still held up because Delta/Newton know what they're doing. I've also seen a NPS-250GB with 22,000 hours of use and 10,000 power cycles and all the LTEC LZG are still fine in it (it did have a well oiled Sunon fan however which spun fast enough to move copious air). As for CapXon primaries, only their KM series seems to be dishonest about their high voltage capacitors, their other series, LP, HP, etc, not so.

Of course, by all of this I am never admonishing the use of bad capacitors. Heat will always kill crappy brands much faster than it will Japanese brands with exception to their dud series. I just find the real problem with the bad brands to be inconsistency, which I would agree is also Teapo's problem. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't. I think people use them because as momaka said, it helps to save the good brands for mission critical stuff.
                                      Last edited by Wester547; 08-21-2014, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                        On the other hand, lti posted a power supply (HP-P2507F3C, also full of Asiacon excepting Panasonic primaries) that had 8-9 years of 24/7 use and even after the ADDA fan seized (not because of a lack of a lubricant but because the thermistor fell out of the metal clip), only one Asiacon, a 2200uF 10V 10x20 Asiacon LE on the input of the +3.3V rail, visibly bulged, and the fan had seized for quite a while.
                                        It wasn't seized. It wasn't receiving enough voltage to start spinning.

I still use an old Hipro PSU from 1999 with its original Teapo, G-Luxon, and Su'scon caps. It was poorly cooled because the original fan wasn't very good. It was a ball bearing Minebea fan, but it had low airflow and was loud. The case got warm around the PSU, and that was with the fan running at 12V. It has a fan controller, but it increases the voltage so quickly that the fan might as well be connected directly to 12V.

Comment

Working...
                                        X