HDD Spins up and down again at power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HDD Spins up and down again at power on

Older WD Green drives had problems with Intellipark, it was auto parking heads so frequently (after every 8 seconds) the drives wear out. I changed that setting to 500 seconds using WDIDLE3.exe and no problems with them.

Comment

do they still do that? haven't bought a WD green since.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
        I don't think all multi terabyte drive fails in months, like you would assume reading this forum
        Well, maybe not in months, but certainly a good number of them probably drop out after 2-4 years (maybe longer if the HDDs do come with a long warranty, like in your case.) Still, I just can't see them approaching the durability of the older 160 GB and smaller HDDs that still putter around in PCs in a forgotten corner of a dusty office somewhere. Even though most have gone to the recycler now, I still see such old dinosaurs at various small businesses running Dell Optiplex or similar PCs from the P4 and C2D era for whatever task they were assigned to in the first place from 10-15 years ago.
        Last edited by momaka; 06-25-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I have two of these 2TB Seagate drives

Date codes

16021 - failed
          14266 - still working

So the newer one failed
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Well, maybe not in months, but certainly a good number of them probably drop out after 2-4 years (maybe longer if the HDDs do come with a long warranty, like in your case.) Still, I just can't see them approaching the durability of the older 160 GB and smaller HDDs that still putter around in PCs in a forgotten corner of a dusty office somewhere. Even though most have gone to the recycler now, I still see such old dinosaurs at various small businesses running Dell Optiplex or similar PCs from the P4 and C2D era for whatever task they were assigned to in the first place from 10-15 years ago.
            Perhaps down to different usage. My 6TB hard drive had over 800GB torrented to it over 3 days recently. That P4/C2D lightly tickled an office suite or the internet if it was lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              Perhaps down to different usage. My 6TB hard drive had over 800GB torrented to it over 3 days recently. That P4/C2D lightly tickled an office suite or the internet if it was lucky.
              Right.
              But I don't think usage affects mechanical HDDs as much. Rather, the failure modes usually seem to be related either to spindle bearing wear (long power-on hours), head wear (frequent power-cycling or head parking), and magnetic surface quality of the platters (variations in manufacturing, so nothing can be done against this.)

Comment

Working...
              X