Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic FR a good replacement for ultra low ESR cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic FR a good replacement for ultra low ESR cap?

I already posted this in the TV forum but would like a few more opinions before I replace the cap (never done this before). I need to replace a bulging 1200uf 25v cap in my TV. It's a Sam Young NXE. I don't have any other specs for it, although I believe this data sheet gives some info. It appears to be ultra low ESR. https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...3307201ded.pdf

I've been looking at Panasonic FR. Would this be a good replacement? Or something else?
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-EEU-FR1E122L
    Attached Files

Re: Panasonic FR a good replacement for ultra low ESR cap?

Are these capacitors in the switching power supply section if so I do not see any reason why it should not work you could even use KY or KZE or something similar

I use these series in a lot of switching power supply board and not had any issues with doing this

I even have use FR or FC series before and not had any issues do this either
    Just have to make sure that you get the size that will fit the board that you are working on

some time a certain series might not have the size that you need so when you do a search

do not pick a manufacturer

at first just look at what is available then pick the manufacturers that have the right size then choose the series that you want to use

I have even used them in Servo controller switching power supply before and not had any issues with doing this either
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-07-2020, 12:56 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      Are these capacitors in the switching power supply section if so I do not see any reason why it should not work you could even use KY or KZE or something similar

I use these series in a lot of switching power supply board and not had any issues with doing this

I even have use FR or FC series before and not had any issues do this either
      Just have to make sure that get the size that will fit the board that you are working on

some time a certain series might not have the size that you need so when you do a search

do not pick a manufacturer

at first just look at what is available then pick the manufacturers that have the right size then choose the series that you want to use

I have even used them in Servo controller switching power supply before and not had any issues with doing this either
      I don’t know if it’s the switching power supply section. I don’t actually know much about electronics but figure I should be able to learn to solder for one capacitor. It’s located on the top right of the power board in this picture. The reason I’m looking at that FR series is because it’s the lowest impedance I could find and I’m trying to find something to match that NXE series.

Also, I haven’t measured the dimensions but assuming that the NXE capacitor is 12.5mm wide as in that spec sheet, is it ok to replace with a 10mm wide capacitor?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Doodle43; 06-07-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I have also done tv switching power supply board and just use the series that I have mentioned earlier and have not had any issues with doing this either but one caution sometimes if use to low value ESR capacitors can cause issues

You are looking at the wrong item you are looking at ESR value on the data sheet and on the Mousers website you are looking at Impedance values these are two different values

On the date sheet it does not give you any Impedance values it gives you ESR values
        The part house is gives you Impedance and dose not give any ESR values

Like said earlier you can use the series that I mentioned earlier and you should not have any issues do this
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-07-2020, 01:59 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

What about ripple current? All the caps I’ve looked at seem to have a lower ripple current than the original one (assuming it is the 3,000 mArms). If I went with a 35v it would have a higher ripple current closer to the original. Should I stick with the 25v even if ripple current is lower?
          Last edited by Doodle43; 06-07-2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

You could and would not hurt to do this as long as they will fit in the space you have for that capacitor
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

The FR series are fine for this application, Samsung recomended replacing the 25v caps with 35v. No need to be so fussy with esr etc. the replacements will likely out last the tv.

Comment

Is it ok if there’s only 1-2mm clearance from the top of the cap to the back housing of the TV? The replacement cap I’m considering is 25mm tall, while the space between the board to the housing is maybe 27mm.

I don’t want to install it horizontally as the only space would be real close to the heatsink. Should I install it tilted at an angle, like some of the smaller ones? Or is that 1-2mm clearance good enough?

Comment

if it dont touch - it's fine.
                  if your concerned - put a bit of tape in the case over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodle43 View Post
                    Is it ok if there’s only 1-2mm clearance from the top of the cap to the back housing of the TV? The replacement cap I’m considering is 25mm tall, while the space between the board to the housing is maybe 27mm.

I don’t want to install it horizontally as the only space would be real close to the heatsink. Should I install it tilted at an angle, like some of the smaller ones? Or is that 1-2mm clearance good enough?
                    I have in some case have had to lay a capacitor down when there are two capacitors next to each other and either have the same UF value or different values but are parallel and use one capacitor for both of them but I only recommend this when you do not have any choice in the matter
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

This looks like the power board for a Samsung 1080p TV. I had to replace caps on a board that from memory looked just like this one.
                      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
                      X