Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy saving gimmick withdrawn from market

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index...fromItemId/142

I've seen this particular device (Enersonic, of course!) at a home show at the local showgrounds two years in a row.

If you see any dodgy energy saving devices, report them immediately to your Consumer Affairs department - at that price, it is certainly a rip-off .
    If you see them on eBay or any other auction site, why don't you let them know?

As I said elsewhere, this particular device was mentioned in Silicon Chip about two years ago and last year, consumer group CHOICE gave a similar deivce a 'Shonky' award - as it should!
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Energy saving gimmick withdrawn from market

An update of the story: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index...fromItemId/142

The claim of the gimmick being designed and engineered in Australia was also misleading.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

sounds like the greenplug scam that went for awhile here.took these things causing fires before they were pulled.

Comment

Well if only they would stop falling for it here. What's more scandalous is that not only ordinary people but also both self-proclaimed and REAL engineers (ie: those who ask about it - IS IT A PFC? and the answer from the manufacturers is YES even though there is no possible way to make a PFC that handles your whole house in such a small package), actually buy the piece o' sh**.

The irony is that even if it were actually a PFC... homes pay for REAL not APPARENT power. Which makes the thing double useless.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I don't try to save energy in the first place. "Squiggly bulbs" are junk these days, incandescent bulbs last longer than the cheap chinese fluorescent squiggly bulbs....and I refuse to buy them ever again. My cars are fuel hogs and cat-less polluters.... For Earth day last year, myself and a neighbor burned a couple tires. These kinds of devices by the tree huggers, why am I not surprised.......they don't care any more about the planet than I do, they're just in it for a buck, and how better than to con people into buying a hoax of an energy saving device....
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

many of these so called "green" devices produce more pollution by their manufacture than they will ever offset.
            hybrid cars for one.
            swirly bulbs are often junk and sensitive to overheating in some fixtures.if i need to change a fixture to save energy linear fluorescents all the way!several here are from the late 30's-early 40's.they payed back their manufacturing pollution decades ago and still work fine.
            how much of this new green tech is going to work long enough for ANY payback?
            probably none!the short lifecycle makes for even more pollution.
            want to be "green"?
            repair and put back into service old well made stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
              swirly bulbs are often junk and sensitive to overheating in some fixtures.
              Not mentioning they take a (quite long) while to warm up to full brightness in a cold environment. However, 100W incandescents have already been banned here... it's only a matter of time till they stop selling ALL of them.

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
              how much of this new green tech is going to work long enough for ANY payback?
              Less than 10% most certainly. Besides, CCFLs contain mercury (and it isn't made all that clear, guess why...). They also put out copious amounts of UV, and there are no regulations for the UV radiation output level. I've seen people develop skin disorders when using swirly bulbs in their desk lamp, which would quickly go away when the bulb was changed back to an incandescent. That not mentioning the garbage they spit into mains power.

I've also heard that there are major problems with mercury spillage in CCFL factories, and that workers that assemble the bulbs are constantly exposed and wear no protection. How "green" is that?
              Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 10-19-2010, 09:39 PM.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

CFLs are a stupid joke, I bought some, never again.

Only thing they are good for is pulling apart for 'free' components.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

I agree CFLs are absolute crap I tried them years back when I finally went back to incandescents in the few fixtures I had CFLs in the light output difference was night and day.

I felt like I was going blind with the CFLs.

You should see the conditions of those Chinese CFL factories green my ass. Polluting one country to make a negligible impact on another.

As for incandescent bulbs being banned buy halogens in a screw base like Phillips Halogena. They last longer than standard incandescents their light is a bit whiter due to halogen filaments burning hotter the whiter light is not a gimmick and there are no losses in bulb life like on those crappy blue tinted Reveal bulbs. They also are slightly more energy efficient than a standard incandescent.

If they tried that BS in the US I'd hoard them like nobodies business before the phaseout and if I ever needed more I'd just have them shipped over from China.
                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-18-2010, 06:40 AM.
                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Add up all the energy spent to make each capacitor, resistor, transistor, transformer, circuit board, etc etc not to mention the fact each part would be shipped from a different factories - so add multiple energy costs for transport... Then CFLs probably waste more energy being produced than they save compared to incandescents.

Not to mention the mercury vapor inside which is supposed to be disposed of properly, and I would say most people would never do that.

Even if it is processed properly, that means more energy usage again to do it.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Easily accessible recycling programs aren't in place to dispose of them that's an even bigger issue. If you make people jump through hoops to dispose of them they'll just go in the trash.

For example when I change my oil I drive to my local Autozone and pour it into the the disposal container. It's quick and easy and is way easier than illegally disposing of it.
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-18-2010, 08:09 AM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

a run around the block here on trash day tells the tale.lots of linear flourescents sticking out of cans.likely a ton of cfl's you dont see.remember the long tubes can last many years.a cfl if a cheap junker maybe a few months.
                        drained motor oil goes to a friend who has a garage heater that burns it.
                        funny thing happened last week.
                        went out on trash day for my walk and found a 32" lcd and a desktop pc.local cop pulled up to me and asked where i got them.off the curb.he asked how much scrap from them will bring and is it worth the effort?dont know as i dont scrap them.i fix and sell!he gave me his card and told me to stop by and carry off 2 dead lcd's from his garage.scored a 50" samsung with cap plague and a 42" lg with a ysus issue.both are now working.
                        Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                        Easily accessible recycling programs aren't in place to dispose of them that's an even bigger issue. If you make people jump through hoops to dispose of them they'll just go in the trash.

For example when I change my oil I drive to my local Autozone and pour it into the the disposal container. It's quick and easy and is way easier than illegally disposing of it.

Comment

Some "green" products may not be so "green" after all!

Comment

Working...
                          X