Google unveils server design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google unveils server design

Google has unveiled its basic server building block, of which it is rumoured to have deployed ~2 M units at various Googleplexes.

The key features:

1) There's a built in UPS with a 12v backup battery on each unit.

2) The mobos are custom dual-socket mobos from Gigabyte that run on +12v
    only. All other voltages are generated by converters on the mobo itself.

3) Almost every capacitor on the dual-soclet mobo is a Nippon Chemicon Polymer.

4) The drives are stock SATA.

5) The basic modular unit is 1160 of these mobos together with their cooling,
    power and networking elements, which is built into a standard shipping
    container. Each Googleplex can have many of these containers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10209580-92.html
    Last edited by linuxguru; 04-02-2009, 11:33 PM. Reason: addendum

Re: Google unveils server design

cheap bastards!
    hehehe....

Comment

A "secret" announced on April the 1st? It seems an April fool's joke to me; moreover why build a blackout-proof mobile datacenter when common telephone lines and users are affected by the blackout and are unable to reach you? ;

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

It's real, no doubt about it. The only engineering question that arises is why not have a single +12v or +24v bus for each rack (or groups of racks), with an efficient synchronous-switching PSU and battery charger, with a single large automotive/marine 12 or 24v battery? That's bound to be more efficient than this distributed UPS/battery scheme, albeit with a larger failure granularity - a UPS failure will impact a whole rack of servers rather than just one server.

Other than that, everything else is logical and sound from an engineering standpoint.

Comment

here's video
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J139Aelaf0g
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs3Et...eature=related

if it's hoax, it's pretty damn elaborate, esp. with that 2nd video...

here's some old thread about that mobo
          http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=492779
          so it does exist...

that psu is just probably just charging the battery, and keeping things on when battery is dead...heh...it does turn things upside down, but it's plausible...

>why build a blackout-proof mobile datacenter when common telephone lines and users are affected by the blackout and are unable to reach you? ;

why do you think google serves just the local community?

also, these servers have the best possible power: 12v from the battery...can't get cleaner than that!

but there's something bothering me: for how long could that small battery power that hardware before being completely depleated?

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
            but there's something bothering me: for how long could that small battery power that hardware before being completely depleated?
            since there is no monitor i guess 20 minutes. the generators probably ready after 1 or two minutes

its not very environmental though, 1160 SLA batteries per container getting renewed like every 3 years.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

lead acid batteries of any types are totally recycable by breaking apart, recover the fluids and process it again, remelt lead and purify, recycle plasstics with bit of vigrin plastic and remold, assemble. Big difference from other types like NiCd, NiMh and Li-Ion based batteries due to too complex structures within.

How It's Made ran a episode on lead acid based battery recycling process.

Comment

did i mention that "how it's made" is excellent show?
                also it kinda dismantles the myth of everything being produced in china and india etc.

>since there is no monitor i guess 20 minutes.

they've read 3.2ah on the battery(in the video)...so perhaps it's even less...

anyway, their system boils down to online-ups....

or even better, this
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...upply#DC_power
                as it doesn't need output inverter...

in the end, they probably have psu(with chunky 12v and nothing else) with battery as one big capacitor...it keeps the battery full when it's ac powered, and if there's power outage it last...what..10min...but as wila says generators will kink in much sooner, and everybody's happy...even the battery!

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                  It's real, no doubt about it. The only engineering question that arises is why not have a single +12v or +24v bus for each rack (or groups of racks), with an efficient synchronous-switching PSU and battery charger, with a single large automotive/marine 12 or 24v battery? That's bound to be more efficient than this distributed UPS/battery scheme, albeit with a larger failure granularity - a UPS failure will impact a whole rack of servers rather than just one server.

Other than that, everything else is logical and sound from an engineering standpoint.
                  A couple of problems with that idea. First of all, it will require a circuit breaker or other switch capable of interrupting 12V at (SWAG) 30ADC. The tend to not last too long because unlike AC, a DC arc is stable.

Second, automotive/marine batteries produce a little hydrogen when charging and a lot of hydrogen if overcharged. How would you like to be the tech who flips a breaker to change a server and the container explodes? I note that they used one of the more popular size of gel-cell batteries.

I discussed this with my son who works with the servers for the Howard County Public Library and their internet service. His reaction: "I want those!! They make it easy to keep a server room neat!"

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

That's GENIUS!

I've wanted something similar....but I didn't have the motherboard.

POL DC-DC converters are extremely efficient, often exceeding 94%. I'd imagine that the system is divided into chunks with each chunk being fed from a large switching power supply....these single output supplies can be quite efficient.

The shipping container format is the real genius bit though....I bet they get a killer discount from Gigabyte!

The system need only last a couple minutes. Most AC outages are under 5 seconds, and anything longer will signal the generator to start. The engine might take a minute at most to have a stable output if its well maintained.
                    Last edited by hardwareguy; 04-05-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

> I'd imagine that the system is divided into chunks with each chunk being fed from a large switching power supply...

That's what I'd have done, but Google hasn't done that. They have a PSU/charger and battery at each server node, fed by stock 110v power. This has a finer granularity of failure, but costs more because it uses smaller batteries and PSUs.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                        > I'd imagine that the system is divided into chunks with each chunk being fed from a large switching power supply...

That's what I'd have done, but Google hasn't done that. They have a PSU/charger and battery at each server node, fed by stock 110v power. This has a finer granularity of failure, but costs more because it uses smaller batteries and PSUs.
                        He said they use 230VAC for better efficiency
                        And also that they now have less lead and overcapacity compared to when they ran with normal big UPS systems
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i don't really know if this costs more...i would say big systems would be mighty expensive...while here you essentially have psu and battery...

even on a consumer grade that is cheaper than a good ups...and on pro side prices probably rocket for high grade ups...

i really think they're cheap and they wouldn't be doing it if it was more expensive...
                          it's not like they're saving the planet with their batteries or something...it's about money

Comment

i4004 >>i really think they're cheap and they wouldn't be doing it if it was more expensive...<<
                            Amen to that!

>>it's not like they're saving the planet with their batteries or something...it's about money<<
                            Absolutely. Although, they want you to believe and will do everything to convince you it's about saving the planet.

There is no free lunch.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

there quite a lot of webhosting companies using consumer grade hardware. i think the initial cost of some of the enterprise kit (basic models) is not expensive but when you start to add extras and redundancy then it gets very expensive. then parts are expensive and service is bullshit.

much better to have consumer hardware and lots of it.

if i was buying ups units for a company in the future i would spec small one battery ups units for the client computers. in the end like google mentions there can be too much overcapacity. batteries are expensive and say if you specify two battery units then you have just doubled your cost and provided no real benefit.

when you are talking about a gigantic installation then i guess even the number of screws for instance matters.

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                                i don't really know if this costs more...i would say big systems would be mighty expensive...while here you essentially have psu and battery...

even on a consumer grade that is cheaper than a good ups...and on pro side prices probably rocket for high grade ups...

i really think they're cheap and they wouldn't be doing it if it was more expensive...
                                it's not like they're saving the planet with their batteries or something...it's about money
                                Of course they are doing it for money!!! Anyone who goes into business for the purpose of losing money is an idiot and will soon be bankrupt!

Google's design is based on a modular concept. They have eliminated unnecessary components. Instead of server cabinets with doors and fans, they use basic relay racks. Air flow comes from the air handlers. Savings include the metal doors, the plastic and metal fans, a tiny bit of electricity.

The power supply has been reduced to a single output design. Again, much simpler. The motherboard IS more complex, but the current has a shorter path.

The big saving is in the UPS. Look at a conventional UPS. It takes 120 (or 240) VAC in and reduces it to 12 or 24 volts DC to charge the batteries. When power is lost it takes the current from the battery and inverts it to produce the initial voltage. That AC now goes to the power supply where it is converted to DC. Each conversion is done at 50 - 70% efficiency. And the UPS is housed in a case made of a flammable plastic loaded with flame retardants.

The Google UPS uses the same power supply that runs the computer to charge the battery. And the output of the battery is the exact voltage the motherboard uses. They save the power that would be lost in two conversions. This translates to smaller batteries.

PlainBill
                                Last edited by PlainBill; 04-06-2009, 01:57 PM.
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                  there quite a lot of webhosting companies using consumer grade hardware. i think the initial cost of some of the enterprise kit (basic models) is not expensive but when you start to add extras and redundancy then it gets very expensive. then parts are expensive and service is bullshit.

much better to have consumer hardware and lots of it.

if i was buying ups units for a company in the future i would spec small one battery ups units for the client computers. in the end like google mentions there can be too much overcapacity. batteries are expensive and say if you specify two battery units then you have just doubled your cost and provided no real benefit.

when you are talking about a gigantic installation then i guess even the number of screws for instance matters.
                                  Not so much the number of screws as the time to remove them, make the changes, replace them, hunt down the one that rolled under the rack, etc.

PlainBill

Comment

yeah...whats the biggest cost....employees

Comment

Working...
                                    X