Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle Motherboard - Bad Cap & Mosfet

Hi all,

OK, my Shuttle PC turns on but won't POST (motherboard FD32) and I believe that I have found the problem (see thumbnail image). Now before I jump in with my soldering iron I have a few questions that I hope can be answered.

1. From my image above you will see that a Mosfet has suffered from the bad cap and I wonder if the whole repair is now viable due to the way the component/motherboard looks? There seems to be some serious discolouring (burning)? on the transistor legs and a noticeably lighter area on the underside on the motherboard.

2. If I'm advised that the repair is worthwhile then I intend to replace all 7 10V 1000UF 105c caps and wondered if these are acceptable? _http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufc1a102/capacitor-1000uf-10v/dp/9691952

3. There are several larger caps rated at 16v 1500uf 105c and 6.3v 1800uf 105c. Do I need to replace these or just the ones near the CPU?

TIA.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by c_hegge; 02-17-2014, 11:25 PM. Reason: Added image as attachment

Re: Shuttle Motherboard - Bad Cap & Mosfet

is that mosfet shorted?
    its been hot for sure.
    if i had a better pic of the board i could tell more.
    knowing other shuttle boards that have been here for repair it needs a full recap as the caps are cheap and the xpc units run hot.in the same class as gx270/280 boards.
    i poly all i get in.
    fc are not low enough esr for cpu/vdimm vrm.good parts but not here.
    you will need to replace all caps 470uf up.
    Last edited by kc8adu; 09-05-2009, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
      is that mosfet shorted?
      its been hot for sure.
      if i had a better pic of the board i could tell more.
      knowing other shuttle boards that have been here for repair it needs a full recap as the caps are cheap and the xpc units run hot.in the same class as gx270/280 boards.
      i poly all i get in.
      fc are not low enough esr for cpu/vdimm vrm.good parts but not here.
      you will need to replace all caps 470uf up.
      The mosfet is not shorted but I'm not happy with it's appearance. I've looked into buying another but cannot find a UK supplier that stocks this item? The ID found on top is:
      T40
      N03G
      Manufacturer ON

if anyone knows where I can buy one I'd be most grateful.

Going back to the caps - could you recommend some from my UK supplier:- _http://uk.farnell.com as I'm very new at this and am unsure of the type I need.

From the MB it looks like I will need the following:

12 x 6.3v 1800uf
      8 x 10v 1000uf
      4x 10v 1500uf
      4x 16v 1500uf

there's also a few small 470uf 10v & 16v caps (all are 105c).

Here's another picture of the MB:

Thanks.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by c_hegge; 02-17-2014, 11:24 PM. Reason: Added image as attachment

Comment

looks like the vdimm vrm.
        no vdimm no post.

Comment

Hi everyone,
          OK, my Shuttle PC that does no turn on and I believe that I have found the problem.

A Mosfet looks like is burned and the cap next to it, and I wonder if the whole repair is worth to do by the way the motherboard looks by the mosfet?

There are several cap in the motherboard, I've replace the that was burn but should I replace them all, and how can I get the mosfet that looks burned.
          This is the info on the mosfet 635 t40 n03g.

Also how can check if the power supply works, I am trying to bring this machine back to live, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by pswalter View Post
            Hi everyone,
            OK, my Shuttle PC that does no turn on and I believe that I have found the problem.

A Mosfet looks like is burned and the cap next to it, and I wonder if the whole repair is worth to do by the way the motherboard looks by the mosfet?

There are several cap in the motherboard, I've replace the that was burn but should I replace them all, and how can I get the mosfet that looks burned.
            This is the info on the mosfet 635 t40 n03g.

Also how can check if the power supply works, I am trying to bring this machine back to live, thank you.
            Okay so first things first:
            Those caps will work just fine for the mobo, good choice.
            If you're going to replace all the caps, just use the same series you've selected for these, the FC series.

Also, I think I found your mosfet. Check this from ON https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...ee3d2da367.pdf
            Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
              Okay so first things first:
              Those caps will work just fine for the mobo, good choice.
              If you're going to replace all the caps, just use the same series you've selected for these, the FC series.

Also, I think I found your mosfet. Check this from ON https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...ee3d2da367.pdf
              What caps? The OP did not specify the model of the motherboard nor post a photo of anything. As stated in a previous post the FC series is not good enough for this application.

Comment

Working...
              X