Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Power Supplies and Power Supply Design
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2021, 02:54 AM   #1
AhhAhhAhh

City & State: Portland
My Country: US
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Unhappy Game Gear Power Supply 2110K No Output Voltage for 1 pin

Hi all,

I'm working on reviving a Game Gear Power Supply that has some issues with the voltage output for one of the pins. The power supply should provide the correct voltages for each pin (please see attached photo) and I could not get 34V for the last pin. In fact, I got like 0.4 to 0 volts when measured with a multimeter when it powers on.

What I did so far was to change the 3 electrolytic capacitors and have also tested using an ESR meter and all 3 capacitors are fine. Next I checkED for any shorts and I discovered that both solder joints (+) and (-) for one capacitor (35v) are shorted to the ground. The 35v capacitor is the one that supplies the 34v pin.

When I injected voltage (1.2 volt) using a voltage injection tool by touching the + solder joint (see the circled part in attached photo) for that 35v capacitor, the tool switches off. Diode mode check on both joints goes to 0v and continuity mode check gives long beeps.

So I'm puzzled what causes both solder joints for a component to short to ground. And what's the next course of action that I can take to fix this power supply? This power supply comes from the Sega Game Gear VA4 model 2110k so there are no schematics available. Any kind guidance or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 407762_bee2db0c6e1c4f7ab819eb830afc1ae7_mv2 (1).jpeg (80.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg sqly9wz2ykr71.jpeg (111.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg kdkh2c43ykr71.jpg (171.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by AhhAhhAhh; 10-19-2021 at 03:00 AM..
AhhAhhAhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:50 AM   #2
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Game Gear Power Supply 2110K No Output Voltage for 1 pin

You have a componemt with a short on the 34v line. You need to follow the tracea to see which components they go to and test them. Perhaps a diode.
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:51 AM   #3
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Game Gear Power Supply 2110K No Output Voltage for 1 pin

your showing 2 boards, the one on the right is a mess!

check the va1 schematics to see what the circuit looks like.
if the output is shorted to ground with the power off then it's probably the ceramic cap
stj is offline   Reply With Quote