Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Computer Displays
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
fredrock46

City & State: Frederick, MD
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Samsung SyncMaster T2600HD is dimming

My Samsung SyncMaster T2600HD Monitor is dimming. It's not nearly as bright as it once was. Is there a component that might be responsible for that or is it screen?
I have tried the Monitor settings without success. Many of which are greyed out for some reason. The Nvidia Control Panel settings help a little but it's still way too dark. Appreciate any thoughts.
fredrock46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
Agent24
I see dead caps

City & State: Hiding inside a plated-through hole
My Country: New Zealand
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Samsung SyncMaster T2600HD is dimming

What kind of monitor (LCD/CRT etc) is it and how old?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
fredrock46

City & State: Frederick, MD
My Country: USA

Corrected Model Name: Samsung T260HD
It's an LCD Monitor/HDTV. It has a built-in digital TV tuner which I have never used.

I bought this Monitor 6 years ago and it has been on almost every day since.
It's specs are still equal to or better than most on the market now or I wouldn't bother with it.

It shut off on it's own a month ago and I fixed it with a used main board from Ebay.
It functions fine now but the screen is too dimm. I'm just trying to understand what causes that. I heard mention that the gas in the LCD dissapates with time and wonder if that is true. I realize it is probably time to replace this monitor but I'd still like to know what is wrong. Maybe I missed something when I installed the board? When I bought the parts it came with everthing inside the case except the screen itself. So maybe I already have the part it needs.

I can use the remote to access the setup menu but many of the options are greyed out for some reason. I can adjust the Mode, Backlight, Brightness and Contrast but they have little effect. Sharpness, Color and Tint are greyed out. I can reset to factory default but that only affects the first 4 settings.
The Nvidia control panel settings work a little better but can't seem to brighten it up much either.
fredrock46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Agent24
I see dead caps

City & State: Hiding inside a plated-through hole
My Country: New Zealand
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

LCDs don't use gas, but if it has CCFL backlights they eventually run out of mercury vapour. One of the symptoms of an old CCFL is lower light output and eventually they go pink or just die outright.

But even old lamps typically are still bright enough, if you let them warm up for longer (a couple of minutes)

If it's *really* dim (Photos would help!) then it may be that something else is the problem.

Did the problem happen over time or immediately after you installed the new mainboard?

If it happened with the new board, it could be a different revision or software version board which is not fully compatible with your panel or TCON or something. That may account for some image options being unadjustable.

Photos of the new and old board would help to verify they are the same.

It might even be possible to repair the old board. If it just shutoff completely one day, it could be something simple like a shorted or otherwise dead voltage regulator or such.
Agent24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
dibsrepair

City & State: Manitoba
My Country: Canada

Read "4Troubleshooting.pdf" in "https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpost.php?p=677215&postcount=12" to id which board causes the issue.

Mainboard was my issue. Ordered the last one that is out there in world wide web. Also ordered the "SEMS10 IC"(Big main Processor 280+ legs). Will attempt to fix the old board. PM me if need a mainboard.
dibsrepair is offline   Reply With Quote