Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaupunkt 40-133Z-WB-5B2-FGKU-UK weird standby problem after power cut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blaupunkt 40-133Z-WB-5B2-FGKU-UK weird standby problem after power cut.

Hi all, hope someone can shed some light on this. I live in a building that gets regular power cuts and it has affected my Blaupunkt TV. After a power cut, when the power comes back on the TV has NO standby light and will not turn on. If I switch the TV off with the on/off switch on the side and leave it about an hour, when I turn the switch back on the red standby light is back and the TV will then switch on with the remote as normal. TV then works flawlessly until the next cut.

Any ideas? It's been a good TV and it was a gift so I don't want to throw it out until I've explored every possibility of me fixing it myself. I'm a mechanical engineer so stripping it doesn't worry me but I'm a novice when it comes to modern electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Finnthedude.

Re: Blaupunkt 40-133Z-WB-5B2-FGKU-UK weird standby problem after power cut.

might be normal operation .. used to have a pc power supply like that . best thing i can suggest is a ups . then in case of power cut you can switch it off properly .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
      might be normal operation .. used to have a pc power supply like that . best thing i can suggest is a ups . then in case of power cut you can switch it off properly .
      What I forgot to mention is that this problem has only recently started happening. It used to just be fine when the power came back on - it would be just as it was before the power went out, i.e. the standby light would be on and I could use it as normal. So something has definitely gone wrong somewhere.

UPS is a good idea though. If I can fix it I'll get one.

Thanks,

Finnthedude.

Comment

verify that you get stby voltage to the main board when that LED is off. If it does it is the main board. Try doing a factory reset and see if that does something, maybe flash a new firmware, check if there is some stupid power fail setting or something in the menu etc.

Comment

Thank you all for your help so far.

I tried a factory reset but no good and there's nothing in the menus about power fail settings. I'll get the back off and check the voltage to the board this week sometime.

I've never tried flashing a firmware, as I said I'm a novice with electronics but I'll give it a go when I can find a how to guide.

It's so frustrating, it's so close to working perfectly that I can taste it. I'm sure we'll work it out.

Finnthedude.

Comment

Some additional info after testing. When the led is off there is power from the switch output and power to the main board but no operations and it won't turn on. Unplug it for an hour then plug it back in and the standby led comes on and get the same reading to the board. This is a repeatable operation and gets the same results every time.

I've bought a UPS as it's only short power cuts we have so hopefully that's a makeshift fix. It's a shame we couldn't find an obvious culprit but I suppose that's the nature of the beast with electronics.

Finnthedude.

Comment

Got a reply from UMC-UK (who are basically Blaupunkt UK) and they say it's a software problem and have sent me an update to put on a memory stick and that will sort it.

Bit of a dilemma now as since I got the UPS the power cuts aren't a problem any more. I think I'll leave the update until I HAVE to turn the TV off for some reason and do it then.

Many thanks to all who helped, it is much appreciated.

Finnthedude.

Comment

why would you wait? Just update it and try it.

Comment

To update it I have to intentionally shut down the power (the usb has to be inserted with the TV unpowered - the exact state when it messes up). At the moment it is working fine with the UPS. In the email from UMC there was a warning that the update might brick my TV.

So that's why I'm waiting. It's fine now and the update is a risk.

Finnthedude.

Comment

Do you normally leave the set in standby or powered off at the mains. It could be that if you normally leave it in standby then when you lose the mains supply due to the building outage is indicating that some of the capacitors on the power supply need changing.
                    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Hello,
                      these TVs are famous (at least in my country) of having issues with eprom.
                      Usually, when someone asks a question like yours, I tell them to have a look at the mainboard, identify the eprom chip, order a new one and copy the contents of the old one while it still works. Because with time it only gets worse. If the chip itself is not faulty, then yes, a firmware update helps. But if it behaves the same after update, then you should consider my approach.
                      This also applies to the other "famous" brands, who use these chinese T.MSD and other pain-in-the $$$ motherboards.
                      Cheers, Janos

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                        Do you normally leave the set in standby or powered off at the mains. It could be that if you normally leave it in standby then when you lose the mains supply due to the building outage is indicating that some of the capacitors on the power supply need changing.
                        Always left on standby. Couldn't see anything obvious with the caps when I had the back off but didn't test anything.

Originally posted by yohnsee View Post
                        Hello,
                        these TVs are famous (at least in my country) of having issues with eprom.
                        Usually, when someone asks a question like yours, I tell them to have a look at the mainboard, identify the eprom chip, order a new one and copy the contents of the old one while it still works. Because with time it only gets worse. If the chip itself is not faulty, then yes, a firmware update helps. But if it behaves the same after update, then you should consider my approach.
                        This also applies to the other "famous" brands, who use these chinese T.MSD and other pain-in-the $$$ motherboards.
                        We'll see how it goes. Removing and programming an eprom is way beyond my skill level at the moment. If it dies altogether I'll give it a go but as I said the UPS has cured the problem for the time being.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Finnthedude.

Comment

see how it goes ..if it is caps you might find complete power supply failure one day with possible blown fuses and components ..recently happened to one of my tv.s .

Comment

Working...
                          X