Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastest way to ATX cuttoff

Fastest way to ATX cuttoff

I recently looking some video where guy BBQ motherboard.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZLdN4mnNF9Y

Beside of that he purely assume that the PSU is faulty, and the motherboard is ok... I wonder is there some way to do faster response to stop deliver accumulated voltage from PSU (rather that panicaly unplug AC), and to immediately shutdown all of dedicated switcing PS on motherboard and put PSU back to standby state.

Is grounding power good PG good idea, because it is on output of PSU? Will that affect on futher generating voltage on all rails of PSU, or just shutdown all PS on MB?
    Or pullup power on PSON, is this stops all PS on MB and PSU immediately, whitch of these are the better (faster) options and why? Or any other trick to do so.
    One modified PSU with some extra function is good to have like measure equipment in repair

Re: Fastest way to ATX cuttoff

I am trying to figure out why you want to turn the PSU faster than normal? Also the other ways depend on what ATX PSU, the age, etc. All you need to do is to get the PFC to quit and the PSU is off.
    If you mess around with PSU’s etc, you should make yourself a dimm bulb tester. Google that and make one. It’s a great addition to a test bench.

Comment

There's no way for a PSU to tell a difference from a semi-short and a very high load. Only way perhaps is to have a fast acting thermal camera that will shut down immediately if a hotspot is observed ... barring it isn't covered by a heatsink or arm...

Comment

I guess if the power cutoff earlyer, that is less chance to damage PCB. It is huge difference replacing a component, or digging a hole into charcoaled pcb.

If is some simple solution to fast cuttoff power into MB on signal level, thats for shure, maybe a simple circuit that can detect audio bang, long wave rf sparc detector, or flash of light (arc or fire), PIR detector... can integrate to testing equipment, to stop future damage.

I see the PCB where arc is last a quite bit of time, and make a fingertip hole on board, its not rare.
        Last edited by harp; 07-06-2022, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X