No announcement yet.

Phillips 55PFL5602/F7 T-Con failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phillips 55PFL5602/F7 T-Con failure?

first of all test the condensers C329>>C336 for short, or better supply a 15v very low and slow increasing amp. to them, tcon detached.. feel some heat..

Comment

maybe see if Q3 is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
        It's not much the fact of cycling without panel, but the fact that overheating also without panel that lets me suspect a bit the tcon now, is that heat enough to bother a bit the finger tip? The low resist. that you read on L3 against gnd is normal because L3 is connected to GND, it's an inverting topology.
        The whole back of the T-Con gets pretty hot. Have T-Con out and haven't put it back to confirm its the SM4080 QFN. But likely given all my symptoms are similar to prior thread linked.

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
        sure why not, remove L3 and see if the pads read shorted, I would test every cap and resistor around L3 first maybe.
        Have some low melt solder paste coming in a day, will give it a try then. I read its hard to remove inductors non-destructively. This one has large solder pads. I have okay Hakko soldering station and good hot air station but no preheater.

that is pretty bad that his tcon only lasted 4 months, wonder if there is any revisions for this tcon that maybe made it more reliable.
        I've seen "V16_55UHD_TM120_V1.0 6870C-0694A" for LG TV. Mine is V0.6 for Phillips TV. No idea if compat.

Comment

There' s no need to remove L3 , it is surely connected to GND by a normal trace.

Comment

first of all test the condensers C329>>C336 for short, or better supply a 15v very low and slow increasing amp. to them, tcon detached.. feel some heat..
            No short on C329-C336. I've tested the entire T-Con caps 2x and found no shorted caps.

maybe see if Q3 is ok.
            Looks okay, diode mode reads 930 and infinity (flipped direction) B<->C B<->E

Anyway, I guess its time to order T-Con board and continue to mess with this one haha.

Comment

There' s no need to remove L3 , it is surely connected to GND by a normal trace.
              Schematic from the other thread shows L3 is ground on one side and D3/VGL_SW (from SM4080 QFN) on the other. Anyhow, not easy to take off non-destructively so haven't tried.

Comment

if you've tested L3 across its legs as a normal inductor it shows no resistance.. like a short.
                Replace the caps i said if you can fully test them, them can go short under certain load

Comment

disconnect the panel complete from T-CON and turn on. messure and listed all voltage you have on T-CON over photo .. also check if it become hot to touch or its just warm or nothings at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                    disconnect the panel complete from T-CON and turn on. messure and listed all voltage you have on T-CON over photo .. also check if it become hot to touch or its just warm or nothings at all.
                    Already done (panel flex disconnected from T-CON, turned on, measured voltage). Gets hot to touch and all voltage behaviors same as post #1.
                    Last edited by howardc64; 08-01-2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

just tested inductor on good tcon, resistance is about 10 ohms, no beeps to ground on either side, also will show continuity 000[beep] when tested on each side of inductor.
                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-01-2022, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howardc64 View Post
                        Already done (panel flex disconnected from T-CON, turned on, measured voltage). Gets hot to touch and all voltage behaviors same as post #1.
                        then no need to do any further replace the t-con .. its look the main soc shorted could be on its bed pins... remove it from it place to see for knowledge

Comment

Replace the caps i said if you can fully test them
                          sorry, Replace the caps i said if you CAN'T fully test them...

the faulty stage can be VDD output much probably, even if HVDD is about zero,
                          on the panel's distribution boards there are the rest of the VDD caps, them probably have some leakage then future possible faults.. maybe in this case a full cap vdd replacement with best brands from good resellers like mouser in usa can be suitable if problem occurs again..
                          Last edited by Davi.p; 08-01-2022, 03:02 PM.

Comment

You have written the model number as 55PFL5602/F7 in the thread subject line, but is this in fact a 55PFL5601/F7 model?
                            Maybe you can take a picture of the backside sticker?

Comment

Originally posted by Maalobs View Post
                              You have written the model number as 55PFL5602/F7 in the thread subject line, but is this in fact a 55PFL5601/F7 model?
                              Maybe you can take a picture of the backside sticker?
                              Yes it is 55PFL5602/F7 A (DS2 in front of SN) Phillips seems to have made many variations in model and version numbers when I research T-Con board. See the list of TV models compatible with this T-Con board.

https://www.shopjimmy.com/philips-68...a-t-con-board/

Attached is my TV sticker.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I found a service manual for 55PFL5601/F7 but not for 55PFL5602/F7, so I was just checking if it had been mistyped.

Comment

Have an update on diagnosing the failed T-Con board (replacement on order and will post results after arrival)

Used a multimeter with beeping function for shorts (my cheap Harbor Freight didn't have) and found the shorted rail. VGH rail is shorted to 30ohms. In the attached pic, C237 R212 R213 C235 C234 C233 C232 R220 R208 all show 30ohms on VGH rail side.

D2 seems to be good (600+ and 175 in 2 directions, tested in circuit)

Some of the lines across top of caps are just my probe tip scrapes. I checked it over carefully with an optical loupe to make sure wasn't cracked.

Tracing the circuit on the board and comparing to the schematic, pretty close but not exactly the same.

Anyway, most likely failure maybe SM4080. After I install replacement T-Con, will pull off components until short is gone. Given similar failure in the other thread (noted in post #17), maybe a common failure area.

BTW, L3 on post #17 doesn't have a short. I think just mistake from my bad multimeter
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by howardc64; 08-03-2022, 09:37 AM.

Comment

do you have a low battery in your meter? my freebee from harbor freight works fine, just no beep function, have a few others but all read about the same.

Comment

do you have a low battery in your meter? my freebee from harbor freight works fine, just no beep function, have a few others but all read about the same.
                                      Seems to work fine. Read all the voltages fine (like 12V, 3.3) shorting the probe, read known value resistors (10, 47, 51k) out of circuit etc). Downside without beeping function are

1. This is the big one, I read all the beeping meters sets the threshhold about 100-150ohms. Some allows user settings.

2. Resistance display takes longer than the beep. have to keep probe tip on small target while eyes off the target to look at the display. Easy to slip

I checked all the caps with cheap HF meter looking for near 0 ohms and didn't pay attention to the 30ohm VGH rail. Beeping meter alerted immediately.

As you can see, I'm inexperienced at finding shorts haha. Pros make it look so easy!
                                      Last edited by howardc64; 08-03-2022, 12:20 PM.

Comment

yeah the ones that beep can save a lot of time and the pain in the ass of having to look back and forth while testing for shorts or continuity, I use my beeping one mostly.

Comment

UPDATE Replacement T-Con installed. TV works. Here are some notes for future DIYers

- VGH rail on working T-Con read 8k+ ohm so no short like my failed one.

Bought an identical HW PN T-Con but it was installed in a 43 4K Philips TV (Was cheap $5 shipped). There are so many TV and T-Con version #s with these Phillips models. It is hard to know what combo works.

Since the prior repair thread used a 43" UHD T-Con ( (6871L-4239B) on a 55" that was listed on ShopJimmy compat list with my board/TV model#. I thought its likely to work. But there is a lot of confusion (I won't go into it here) so perhaps easiest just to buy exact #s.

Here were some of the take aways

Probably HW version #s

V16 55UHD TM120 v0.6 (there are v1.0 and non V16s with unknown compat)
                                          6870C-0584A (there was also 0584B with unknown compat)

Probably FW version #s

55 6871L-XXXXX
                                          clearly 43 work with 55
                                          XXXXX match on compat list on ShopJimmy is probably a good idea.

More may work but who knows without thorough testing

One last note, its best to not remove the tcon board cable on the main board side. My connector broke on the bottom side even with great care and the top side would not secure tight and the cable can rotate ever so slightly rather than perfectly flush. Last pic showed I tapes it for better security. So just disconnect from t-con side and remove cable connected to the main board.

I'll mess with the failed T-Con later to see if can isolate the short. For now, gotta replace the touch bar on my Macbook Pro. THAT job is serious surgery haha.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by howardc64; 08-05-2022, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X