LG 47LN5400 Replacement backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 47LN5400 Replacement backlights

This is more of a general question on replacement led backlight sets .Replaced a full set about 5 months ago on the LG 47LN5400.Set went black again and after opening it up an open led was found.Set was purchased on Ali-express and had the aluminum backs.I think the originals had copper backs .Are these sets too cheap and should I stay away from them.Any set I bought at Shop-jimmey for other tv's had copper backs like the originals and,I assume they may be of better quality and perhaps last a few years .So if anyone has any thoughts on this please share.Backlight sets for me are about 1/3 the cost from China as compared to getting them from the states (I'm in Canada ).I have to pay fairly high shipping costs to Canada as well.I have replaced backlight sets on 2 dozen Tv's the past year or so and need backlights to last a year or two otherwise this repair won't be worth it .

Re: LG 47LN5400 Replacement backlights

All the LN strips on aliexpress and even shopjimmy are substitute strips. I stick to one or two sellers (not the cheapest) and turn down the backlight to around 55% on ALL sources and apps for smart models. Never had a repeat failure with new strips on LN models doing this. Shopjimmy uses Chinese vendors as well and doubles the price vs buying direct.
    Last edited by neilc6; 06-26-2022, 09:57 AM.

Comment

We're at the mercy of China for pretty much all replacement parts. They all come from the same place.
      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Originally posted by Helikvar View Post
        .Set was purchased on Ali-express and had the aluminum backs.I think the originals had copper backs .
        Aluminum type is better for heat transfer and can be found pretty much in all of newer TV's
        The copper in original is thin layer, the rest is FR4 which is not good heat conductor.
        Still aluminum strips is not a guarantee as it depends on quality of LEDs and assembly.

Comment

Thanks for the replies .I figured China has pretty much all the say in this matter.I will just have to find a better supplier on ali-express if thats possible.And hopefully turning down the backlights will extend the repair for a year or two .

Comment

Something you can do to help with the longevity is to not use the cheap double-sided tape often provided with those strips, but instead, use thermal conductive double-sided tape. It is marginally more expensive and will help in the long term.

Comment

Working...
            X