Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TCL 55P607: swap power supply to convert to 230V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TCL 55P607: swap power supply to convert to 230V?

So I have a TCL 55P607 I'm pretty happy with. However, I'm about to relocate to the UK and, to the best of my understanding, the power supply board (40-PN2G1L-PWB1CG / 08-PN2G10L-PW200AA) is 100-120V only, which means it won't work as is.

While I could just get a transformer, I was wondering if it was possible to replace this part with an equivalent 230V-capable part, e.g. from the similar looking 55P615 model.

Does this have any chance of working? If so, how would one go about identifying the best replacement part?

Cheers!

Re: TCL 55P607: swap power supply to convert to 230V?

You should be able to find a power supply that is a drop-in replacement. However most power supplies in the past decade are universal input. Do you have schematics or at least some photos of your power supply? If it's not universal input it's usually just a matter of moving a couple of jumper links.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

That's encouraging... I suspected it might be universal input but TCL's tech support was unable to neither confirm nor deny that suspicion.

I snapped a couple of photos (one attached below) but I'm pretty sure it's the same part here, which also has better photos: https://www.shopjimmy.com/tcl-08-pn2...-supply-board/

Try as I might, I wasn't able to find the schematics or even identify the components. That's where I'd really appreciate your help!
      Attached Files

Comment

This power supply looks like it has active PFC and the mains fuse is rated for 250V. I believe you can plug it into 240 with no changes required.
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Wow, that's great to hear, thanks! How safe would it be to just give it a try? I've fried my share of electronic components in the past and am a bit wary of lugging the TV all the way across the ocean only to plug it in and watch it smoke

I noticed the 250V fuse too but I wasn't sure how indicative it was of the input voltage tolerance–would it never be used in 110V power supply? Also, do you mind pointing out the active PFC? I was looking to learn how to decipher circuit boards but wasn't able to find a good online resource...

Comment

I believe you have 230/240 in the kitchen so feel free to try it. I'm fairly sure it won't go up in smoke. I've never seen an active PFC circuit that wasn't universal input.

On your power supply the PFC is done by the transformer at the top of the board in the Shop Jimmy photo and the MOSFETs and diodes on heatsinks next to it. You can identify PFC by a large inductor or transformer along with heatsinked semiconductors where the transformer is entirely on the hot (mains) side.

Comment

Working...
            X