Trying to repair Yaesu FP-707 power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to repair Yaesu FP-707 power supply

I'm trying to fix this for my buddy. The power supply would power up, put out 13.8v but drop to 0v with any load.
    He tried to fix it by replacing 3 caps in the "AVR" board, that didnt work.
    I fired the parts cannon and replaced 3 "10D1" diodes with 3 "sk3081" diodes I had, a new 35 amp bridge rectifier, I tested all the other components and for the "2SA1012" was subed with a ECG "TIP53" and I replaced that with a "D45H8G" and same results, 13.8 and 0v under load.

I pulled the 2SD717 regulators and they all tested as 2 resistors so I assumed they were dead.
    I replaced those with 3 "2STW100" parts and now I did a quick pulse of 120v and its putting out 22VDC

Is it because I used 2STW100 which is darlington type?

I'm out of ideas.

thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Trying to repair Yaesu FP-707 power supply

false alarm I'm sorry.
    The voltage adjust was cranked, its working fine.

whew!

Comment

Might not be out of the woods yet.
      It doesnt seem to be regulating very well.

Comment

When it craters, can you measure the voltages on the error amplifier Q103 and maybe Q102.

Be careful it's got huge filter caps 99,000uF which can hold a big charge. I would make sure they are discharged through a say 1k resistor before going in there.

Comment

Install the proper transistors for Q1~Q3, I don't think those 2STW100 will work.

Comment

Yeah the PSU will have too much gain and would oscillate with the Darlington pass transistors...
            The JFET current-source is interesting in that it gets a -ve voltage supplied.

There was a day when people would troubleshoot and test transistors. There's only 6 in the Yaesu.
            I think the cannon got fired too quickly, might be best to aim it first lol.

Comment

easier to just swap and hope it fixes the problem instead of thinking...
              May even be faster too unfortunately, but that's the case with most modern equipment.

Dang... if that's being paired with a FT-707 I hope a ham isn't actually asking a non-ham to fix PSUs... or at least I hope that any ham would know not to replace a singleton BJT with a Darlington pair.
              Last edited by eccerr0r; 04-16-2023, 12:30 AM.

Comment

In that style PSU most of the time the problem are the pass transistors (2SD717). I’ve repaired tons of these.

Comment

What are you using as a substitute for 2SD717?
                  I think I'd use (real not Ali/eBay) 2N3055G or 2N3772 but TO-3 package parts are quickly being discontinued.

Comment

Maybe a TIP3055 TO-247-3 case available from digikey

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.
                      I never really worked on power supplies too much.
                      I was hoping for a "quick fix". I did test each part and just replaced the diodes just because I had new ones in stock.

Well the darlingtons came up on a substitute list and digikey had plenty for cheap: https://alltransistors.com/crsearch....ps=TO247&cf=on

Digikey has 0 stock on most items and 1 source never got back to me and ebay is a joke.
                      And yes Redwire I hooked up a car tire pump and it was oscillating up and down. So I guess thats a fail.

R_J yes TIP3055 are $1.50 and in stock. Guess Ill grab them

thank you all for your tips I appreciate it.
                      Last edited by Cartel; 04-17-2023, 04:53 AM.

Comment

The SD717's are not darlington's. The TIP3055's are a good replacement fit.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                          The SD717's are not darlington's. The TIP3055's are a good replacement fit.
                          ya I seen it say darlington and I just chose to ignore it. Live and learn but now I know to avoid them. Problem solved I hope
                          Last edited by Cartel; 04-17-2023, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            Maybe a TIP3055 TO-247-3 case available from digikey
                            I just finished installing ST tip3055 (3) and its working great. Thank you for the tip on the tip.

Comment

Working...
                            X