Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DENON DCD-890 service manual?

Hi:

I would need some help to try to fix this CD reader.

Thank you so much in advance,
    Francesc.

Re: DENON DCD-890 service manual?

?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      ?
      Yes, just wondering whether the service manual from this CD player is available or not. (or any close to this model)

Comment

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li.../dcd-890.shtml

Comment

No access.......also not able to create a new account, just restricted to current users.

Are u sure that this is the service manual or just the user manual?

Comment

Re: DENON DCD-890 trying to repair it

In the meantime I've performed the following:

1. I've changed some capacitors from PCB
            2. I've replaced the lens just in case
            3. I've checked the flat 12 pin ribbon
            4. I've played some time with the potenciometers, both the ones from PCB and the ones from the lens........with no major improvement.

However, the CD player doesn't perform correctly. It reads the tracks when you insert a CD, but when playing the different tracks it "jumps" or it gets hard to read them.

It has something........but not sure how to proceed.

Any idea about how to proceed? I am listening.....

Attached Files

Comment

turn the player upside-down before you play the tracks - see if it fixes it

Comment

I checked the link and indeed it's just a user manual without schematics. Look for diagrams of related models, often the blocks are almost identical.

It's probably not good that you played with potentiometers for positioning the lens and laser.
                Shooting "whatever" in most cases ends with damage to the laser, or complete deregulation of the control electronics - without equipment and service procedures, the original state cannot be restored.
                The fact that a laser "shines" is not an indication of its efficiency.
                Try to carefully observe the behavior of the player - especially the comparison with its normal operation, and the symptoms of damage are helpful in locating the fault.

The disc is read, but there are gaps in the recording, the recording skips forward or backward for a few seconds. If it occurs even on perfectly smooth plates - check the carriage movement motor, its rack (it likes to break sometimes) and the cleanliness of the sled - with the power off, you should be able to move the sled with the laser easily by turning the rack by hand. No jamming can be felt! Movement should be smooth.
                At least check the condition of the "spindle" motor (rotating the disc) especially pay attention to the looseness of the motor axis.

Comment

That was expected ... Just a reminder :

Later developments in CD technology allowed the development of CD-ROM players that spun the CDs several times as fast; those models transferred at a 2x speed, (300KB/second), then later at 4x (600KB/second), and so on until today, where the newest CD-ROM drives can transfer up to 72x the original speed (10,800KB/second)..

Comment

i doubt you will see a 72speed drive,
                    they capped it at 52 after some japanese company made faster drive and cheap pressed cd's started exploding in them!

too much centrifugal force for shit disks with micro-cracks at the center.
                    microsoft windows2000 install disks had a reputation for exploding in fast drives btw

Comment

i doubt you will see a 72speed drive,
                      they capped it at 52 after some japanese company made faster drive and cheap pressed cd's started exploding in them!

too much centrifugal force for shit disks with micro-cracks at the center.
                      microsoft windows2000 install disks had a reputation for exploding in fast drives btw
                      Yep , that's true and I've seen it with my own eyes , lol ...
                      BTW , there's a simple way .. Nero or any program that can test a CD speed , has a speed setting for recording Audio files in 1x , 2x , 4x and so on ...(If the CD can take it) .. On my main laptop , speed settings is completely cut off , and I dunno if because it's w10 or the very high speed of its CD/DVD . But Dvd's on other devices like my older desktops can do a perfect job , even at 4x ..

Comment

thats "anti-rip"
                        they cap the read speed in firmware to piss off people making copy's
                        there used to be a couple of sites that hosted patched firmware with that removed and the region coding unlocked.

Comment

Could be .. I spent the last hour trying to overcome this obstacle to put images of how to use Nero speed settings ..Nero was allowed to add the DVD and recognized it , but the speed settings remained blank ..
                          Another solution is to buy CDs 4x or 8x . They still exist online .

Comment

the rip-lock has no effect on writing, it locks the read speed for audio tracks.

Comment

the rip-lock has no effect on writing, it locks the read speed for audio tracks.
                              Seriously ? ...The kali/github dude ? ...lol

Comment

I just checked one of my desktops , and it's equipped with one DVD/CD Teac W48(48 stands for 48x) , W7 home edition , no net whatsoever (on purpose and permanent) , and Nero showed those speed settings for this Teac : 16x , 24x, 32x and 48x ..
                                Well , I may join TC and stj in Linux , lol ..

Comment

Teac are one of the better brands along with Yamaha and Plextor
                                  they never restricted their firmwarez.

Comment

Hi:

Using a close service manual (DCD-980), I've tried to calibrate it using the oscilloscope.

Focus gain hasn't been a problem.

Tracking gain, however............I am not getting the right circle.......just an ellipse. :-(

What do you think about changing the CXA1372S chip (servo control)
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Francesc V.; 01-28-2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Teac are one of the better brands along with Yamaha and Plextor
                                      they never restricted their firmwarez.
                                      100% ... Teac is mainly working projects for NASA now , and left Earth , lol .. I had one Teac 8x , capable of reading any damaged CDs without any problems .. My friends used to bet on its extraordinary capabilities vs others , it was always their last resort .

Comment

Originally posted by Francesc V. View Post
                                        Tracking gain, however............I am not getting the right circle.......just an ellipse. :-(

What do you think about changing the CXA1372S chip (servo control)
                                        Service manual don't say anything about circle just symmetry on both axes. Did you tried upside down test? Because skipping often can be caused by worn spindle motor.

Comment

Working...
                                        X