Unknown component in 19V power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unknown component in 19V power supply

If you have the ESR meter from the same company then check it with that if you get “0” then you might be on something but it still might not be bad but maybe questionable
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Ok, so I checked the power winding with my blue ring tester and that measures good. I checked resistance of the power winding which is +- 1 ohm and the output winding is +- 1 ohm. The other winding which is I guess the feedback winding measures also +- 1 ohm, but shows short on the blue ring tester.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
        If you have the ESR meter from the same company then check it with that if you get “0” then you might be on something but it still might not be bad but maybe questionable
        Hi Sam,

No I don't have an ESR meter from the same company. I do have an ESR meter however from another company - what should I check the power winding or the output?

Comment

This tester only checks the power winding for an interturn short circuit!, on others, the winding will always show that the transformer is not working.
          If the tester has green LEDs on the power winding, this means that the transformer is working, but if you close the secondary windings, the green LEDs will go out.
          Last edited by lotas; 03-13-2023, 03:24 PM.

Comment

So since I am getting 12v on the VCC pin 5 of the LD5533 and no output on the out pin 6 (0V), do you think that LD5533 could be the culprit?

I did check the output pin path of the LD5533, it goes to a 30 ohms resistor and then to a 100 ohm resistor to finally go the the Gate pin of a 2SK3569 mosfet, who's source goes to the power winding of that transformer.

What do you think?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rddube View Post
              So since I am getting 12v on the VCC pin 5 of the LD5533 and no output on the out pin 6 (0V), do you think that LD5533 could be the culprit?

I did check the output pin path of the LD5533, it goes to a 30 ohms resistor and then to a 100 ohm resistor to finally go the the Gate pin of a 2SK3569 mosfet, who's source goes to the power winding of that transformer.

What do you think?
              The 30 ohm resistor and 100 ohm resistor measure exactly what they should. Any thoughts anyone?

Comment

What do you think?
                You need a scope to see the output of the ic to see if the 130kHz signal is there to drive the mosfet gate.
                The VCC needs to be above 16v as per the datasheet to turn ON then can not fall below 7.5v. Does the VCC pin get above 16v when power is supplied? if not the ic will not start, this could be due to a bad ic. There is an internal 31v zener built into the ic so it might be damaged, or check the resistor RX1 (1.8M) between the main bridge rectifier and the vcc pin, maybe it has gone high in value. (same as R5,R6 in schematic)
                Last edited by R_J; 03-14-2023, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Hi R_J,

VCC goes to 18V when powered on, and then falls to 12V. Resistors all seem fine at their given values. Do you have a schematic for this? Tks!

Comment

Hi R_J,

VCC goes to 18V when powered on, and then falls to 12V. Resistors all seem fine at their given values. Do you have a schematic for this? Tks!
                    Yes I have a schematic, and so do you. Its not exact but looks very close
                    Last edited by R_J; 03-15-2023, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Hello R_J,

Not sure what you mean by I have a schematic too? Do you mean the datasheet of the LD5533?

Comment

Hello R_J,

Not sure what you mean by I have a schematic too? Do you mean the datasheet of the LD5533?
                        Yes, Have you looked at the datasheet ?

Comment

Ah ok, I looked at the datasheet but mostly for the pinout of the LD5533. Had not looked at the schematics further down. Will try and trace that and make it correspond to my device. Will report further. Tks!

Comment

After removing LD5533, I get 44V on pin 5 VCC, and when I reinstall LD5533, VCC drops to 12V and is not stable jumps from 14V to 12V. I checked for shorts on the chip itself, non, checked the path of every other pin to see if anything might be shorted, nothing. So I think the LD5533 chip is bad. What do you think?

Comment

There is no way to tell by checking with a meter, they are a very complex ic. Without being able to see the output, it is likely best just to replace it. If there is no voltage at all on the secondary side, I suspect there is no output from the ic to switch the mosfet, even if it was detecting a fault, there should be some voltage on the secondary side, even a few volts.
                              Last edited by R_J; 03-16-2023, 08:58 PM.

Comment

No it's giving absolutely nothing, completely dead on the output. I ordered the chip, coming from China so probably a month or 6 weeks should be here. I'll keep you posted. Thks!

Comment

Got a reply from China that the LD5533 is out of stock. Searched the web, Ebay, Aliexpress, Yoycart, etc. and can't find it for sale! Anyone have any idead what I could use as a substitute or do you have any other sources where I can maybe find it?

Comment

Was able to identify a substitute for the LD5533 with a LD7537RGL - not exactly the same but close, so on their way. Will keep you posted. Tks!

Comment

Ok, so got the LD7537RGL in yesterday, changed it and still no go. Nothing on the output and the input pin has 12-15v oscillating.

Not sure what to check next.

Comment

Working...
                                      X