OCZ Mod X-Stream Pro 600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCZ Mod X-Stream Pro 600

I have an OCZ Mod X-Stream Pro 600 (semi-modular). One transformer is dated "1215" and one is dated "1210", and the largest capacitor (slightly bulging 400V TEAPO) is labeled "03/12", so yes it's pretty old. A few nights ago it caused the circuit breaker to cut off the power. It was plugged into an APC UPS, that appears to be undamaged.

When I reset the circuit breaker, the power supply fan did not even twitch. When I got a low-hour Seasonic PSU out of my basement, my system started right back up, so the rest of the system was not damaged.

(I will probably replace the OCZ PSU with the new Seasonic Fanless 500W, since the new fanless 600W is backordered everywhere and much more expensive than the 500W.)

Assuming I want to fix the OCZ, after I check the fuse, what would I check next?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hondaman; 04-17-2023, 08:30 PM.

Re: OCZ Mod X-Stream Pro 600

With a bad mains cap and APFC, you need to thoroughly check your primary side for bad parts.

At best, you would need a new fuse and primary cap.
    At worst, many more parts besides the two mentioned above.

Start by replacing the fuse and primary cap. For testing, the primary cap doesn't have to be the same capacity (can be a few capacitance sizes smaller if that's all you have... but rated voltage needs to be the same or higher... or use 2x 200V caps in series from an old PSU. ) Once these are replaced, check the bridge rectifier, APFC rectifying diode, and all of the MOSFETs on the primary side (APFC and main PS switch) for short-circuit. Also check the NTC for high-resistance or open-circuit. If all of these parts check out OK, use a dim bulb tester (incandescent bulb in series with the live) and give power to the PSU to see if you get 5VSB. If you do, replace bulb with 200-500 Watt heating element of some sort (rated for your line voltage) and see if the PSU can turn On (might need a small load on the output, but don't put too much due to series heating element on the input.)

Comment

Working...
    X