What type of diode? Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of diode? Any ideas?

Hey guys im working on a Dell powersupply. (D260EA) and the only find I've made is this part here is open circuit. I belive this to be a diode? But it has no markings.

Anyone know what kind? Looks like it was accross a choke of some kind?
    Attached Files

Re: What type of diode? Any ideas?

This is actually a spark gap.

Comment

So if it's a spark gap should it be open? Looms to be accros the hot path?

Comment

The arrester is connected to ground with one output and when a high-voltage pulse appears, a spark jumps between the two electrodes of the arrester and it is extinguished without passing further to the sensitive electronics, thus protecting the equipment from failure. This is very similar to the more popular part-varistor.

Comment

So it's normally open?

Comment

Look at the circuit! One side is probably GND! So if it wouldn’t be open, then it would go bang!

Comment

They have two electrodes, and there is a gap between them.
              Attached Files

Comment

1. Yes, to an ohm meter it should be open.

2. Its reference designator is "GT2". Were it a diode it would be "CR#", "VR#", "D#", or "Z#".

3. While commonly referred to as a spark gap, it is a gas discharge tube. It acts similarly to an MOV. having a threshold voltage beyond which it conducts. In other words it protects against voltage surges. When a surge causes conduction, there will be a visible flash, which looks like a spark.

Looking at your picture, I suspect you will find "GT1", another of the same device, on the other side of that inductor inductor wrapped in yellow tape. The inductor is probably a common mode inductor, with two windings (one side being Line, the other Neutral). The gas discharge tubes are across each winding to absorb any inductive surges from the windings of the inductor.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thank you , makes sense. Lesson learned!

Comment

well done

Comment

Ouch I had a couple of them too... https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25024
                      My question now is how much power they can absorb before them no longer functional as their original function... not a whole lot I would think?

Are these only good for static electricity sparks perhaps?

Comment

The word I heard long, long ago is that TVS diodes are fast, but their energy dissipation capability is not great. Gas discharge tubes can absorb a lot of energy, but they are slower. MOVs are fairly fast and can absorb quite a bit of energy … but every surge does a little damage, and the damage is cumulative and can eventually (years, depending on how many times the MOV absorbs a surge).

The gas tubes in the OP are pretty small, and with proportional energy absorption capability. But in that circuit I think they are across the inductor windings rather than Line- or Neutral-Ground.
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

there is another important difference,
                          MOV's and diodes trip AND clear at a set voltage,
                          GDT's create a plasma that causes them to latch until the voltage drops a lot.

Comment

Working...
                          X