Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitachi Refrigerator R-Z270AUN7KV not cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitachi Refrigerator R-Z270AUN7KV not cold.

Hi, I have a Hitachi Refrigerator R-Z270AUN7KV. The fridge is on the bottom and the freezer is on the top. My problem is no matter what setting (1-9) the freezer is, the fridge is not getting cold but the freezer is always cold. I have tried all combination of settings for the fridge (Min, Mid, Max) but nothing. Fridge is always hot now. Before it would sometimes do this but now always fridge is hot. I believe the service center peeled some of the foil from the thermostat and that seemed to help a few years back. I replaced the thermostat recently and it worked off and on for a few weeks but now fridge is always hot and freezer cold for the past week.
    Last edited by SuperAman; 10-29-2020, 02:03 AM.

Re: Hitachi Refrigerator R-Z270AUN7KV not cold.

The lower section get the cold air form the freezer section, so look for opening in the bottom section of the fridge to see if there is any obstruction, also look for a fan that circulate the cold air from freezer to the lower fridge section.
    Show us the pictures of the internal chambers of the fridge.

https://www.gfyappliancerepair.com/b...-freezer-cold/
    Last edited by budm; 10-29-2020, 02:57 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

manual says ..Is the cold air vent blocked with food?

Comment

One thing to check is if the defrost timer is working, What can happen if it does not cycle, ice can build up around the freezer and block the air flow to cool the fridge. I have a fridge with a similar defrost timer and if the motor in it stops running, the fridge will not get cold. The timer should be located on the rear lower right, you can cycle it manually using a large flat blade screwdriver. If the fridge is indeed frozen up, you may need to turn the defrost timer until it clicks and the heat element comes on and do this a couple times, You should then see or here water running into the pan under the fridge.
        If this is the timer, you can turn the grey knob with a flat blade screwdriver clockwise. until it clicks, If the compressor is running at the time it will turn off.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by R_J; 10-29-2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          One thing to check is if the defrost timer is working, What can happen if it does not cycle, ice can build up around the freezer and block the air flow to cool the fridge. I have a fridge with a similar defrost timer and if the motor in it stops running, the fridge will not get cold. The timer should be located on the rear lower right, you can cycle it manually using a large flat blade screwdriver. If the fridge is indeed frozen up, you may need to turn the defrost timer until it clicks and the heat element comes on and do this a couple times, You should then see or here water running into the pan under the fridge.
          If this is the timer, you can turn the grey knob with a flat blade screwdriver clockwise. until it clicks, If the compressor is running at the time it will turn off.

There was a buildup of ice on the coils. Cooled it down, melted it with boiling water. Now with the fridge and freezer set to the lowest settings, it has been working fine.

Comment

It will do it again, you just proved the defrost timer is likely not working. It needs to cycle the defrost element every few days to keep the ice from forming.
            You can operate the defrost cycle manually to melt the ice.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by R_J; 11-08-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

It will do it again, you just proved the defrost timer is likely not working. It needs to cycle the defrost element every few days to keep the ice from forming.
              You can operate the defrost cycle manually to melt the ice.
              Thank you. Is the defrost timer located in the freezer or fridge compartment? I don't recall seeing anything that resembled that in the freezer compartment.

Comment

The defrost timer is likely located on the lower part of the rear of the fridge, It will not be inside a compartment. Here is the location of mine, take a picture of the rear of your fridge if you can't locate it. When I checked the model of your fridge, the defrost timer for it is the one I posted in the picture, The original is likely black not white.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by R_J; 11-11-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

The defrost timer is likely located on the lower part of the rear of the fridge, It will not be inside a compartment. Here is the location of mine, take a picture of the rear of your fridge if you can't locate it. When I checked the model of your fridge, the defrost timer for it is the one I posted in the picture, The original is likely black not white.
                  I don't see anything like that on my fridge. Here is a picture with the pan removed.

Last edited by SuperAman; 11-15-2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Last edited by SuperAman; 11-15-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I don't know where they put it on this model, but if it is a frost free refrigerator, it is there somewhere.
                      Here is the manual, with the schematic, trace the wiring to find the defrost timer, maybe it IS inside behind a panel somewhere?
                      The pictures are too small to make out what's behind that black box where the cord enters
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by R_J; 11-15-2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

It might be with the temperature controller sensor behind the cover would be my guess

This timer might not have outside access to outside world would be my guess

But who knows where it could be
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-18-2020, 06:47 AM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply
                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I suspect this is a similar fridge, It looks like it is item #38 behind the panel in the fridge compartment
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by R_J; 11-18-2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I suspect this is a similar fridge, It looks like it is item #38 behind the panel in the fridge compartment
                            Thanks mate, it is a very similar model. Is it the #31 part in the diagram the defrost timer, I had suspected that was it? It did it again this week it worked fine for like a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperAman View Post
                              Thanks mate, it is a very similar model. Is it the #31 part in the diagram the defrost timer, I had suspected that was it? It did it again this week it worked fine for like a month or so.
                              NO that is the fan motor, The defront timer is #38

Comment

NO that is the fan motor, The defront timer is #38
                                Yes 38 I meant. So is there a way to fix it or adjust it? Or does it have to be replaced? It's a pain to access, much easier to access the freezer compartment.

Comment

Maybe it can be fixed? I don't have it to be able to tell. There is no adjustment, it is a timer, I suspect the small internal motor is not turning for some reason.
                                  There should be a way to access the timer (post #6) so you can operate the switch manually by turning it with a flat screwdriver. maybe the access hole is under panel 42 or 36? If you can access it you can turn it to the defrost cycle, let it operate that way for about 10min, then advance it again to let the compressor operate.
                                  Last edited by R_J; 02-03-2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Maybe it can be fixed? I don't have it to be able to tell. There is no adjustment, it is a timer, I suspect the small internal motor is not turning for some reason.
                                    There should be a way to access the timer (post #6) so you can operate the switch manually by turning it with a flat screwdriver. maybe the access hole is under panel 42 or 36? If you can access it you can turn it to the defrost cycle, let it operate that way for about 10min, then advance it again to let the compressor operate.
                                    Thanks I found the little guy. The schematics were right, mine is a little larger though. I don't think I'm going to find a new one locally though. How many hours is this model, it is not clear? Can I replace with another one that is the same shape and maybe less hours of cooling and lower minutes of defrost? The heating element works because when I manually rotate counter clockwise the heating element starts and runs and some of the build up of ice is melted. Since there is so much buildup 1 manual defrost cycle wont cut it. The good thing is the timer is accessible, it os just above the fridge temp knob and there is a hole to rotate a screw driver.

Comment

The defrost timer only runs when the fridge/compressor is running. The defrost motor is connected across pins 1 & 3, check the resistance of the motor, if it is good then maybe you can get some type of cleaner to wash out the motor and the reduction gears inside it? If not just replace the timer, If you can find a used one it should be ok, you can order them off the internet, just be sure to get the right voltage (ac200~240)
                                      Last edited by R_J; 02-28-2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

RJ cant he just hook up AC200-240 to pins 1and 3 and see if the motor works?

Comment

Working...
                                        X