WD Elements - SMART Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD Elements - SMART Data

I picked up one of these drives at a carboot sale earlier today for a couple of euro, thinking if the drive was dead, maybe I could put in another good drive to have the thing working. I've done it before with the larger WD devices that take 3.5" HDDs, as it just uses an extra board to convert the SATA connection on the HDD, to USB to connect to the PC.

However, after opening up the drive, I see that there is no extra board, the HDD has the funny USB/power combined connection as part of the HDD board, see the attached photo.

I do have a cable that works with it, and the drive does show up, however, like a lot (most/all) of these USB type devices I've tried to check the SMART data of, it's not possible, the drives need to be connected directly to the SATA ports to achieve that, but with this USB/power port, I can't seem to find a solution.

I've tried a few SMART reporting programs, but all cannot display the SMART. I even tried WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, and it will list the HDD (H in the photo), but won't list it as a physical drive (I think my other drive isn't being shown because it's a Seagate), which would enable SMART data viewing.

Anything I can do?

Edit: Added a photo of a regular SATA connection on a 2.5" HDD, and the connection that is on this WD Elements drive.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tmcw; 01-18-2020, 03:01 PM.

Re: WD Elements - SMART Data

is there a setting in the bios ?

Comment

I'm not sure, it's connected to a Dell 755 right now.

But anyway, the SMART software will get the SMART data from the 2 other HDD drives (SATA), so I would assume that if there is a setting, it's at the correct one.

I've always been aware that HDDs (PATA or SATA) connected to a PC via USB, SMART reporting is not supported (AFAIK).

But with this WD Elements HDD, I don't know how it is possible, if WD have made the only interface as USB.

I added a photo to the first post of the connection on this WD Elements drive, with a regular SATA above it for comparison.
      Last edited by tmcw; 01-18-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Try this

files.hddguru.com/download/Software/Victoria%20For%20Windows/Victoria473b.zip

or this

files.hddguru.com/download/Software/HDDScan/HDDScan_v2.8.rar

Comment

Try PassMark DiskCheckup.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

The above programs should work but if they don't this might help.
            There is a bit of information on this here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28...xternal-drives
            or google "read smart drive data on usb hard drive"
            Last edited by R_J; 01-26-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X