Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time recapping a motherboard, need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time recapping a motherboard, need advice!

Hey guys, I just picked up an old Athlon motherboard (Chaintech 7AJA2) to build a vintage PC system around and noticed it had a leaking cap and a few others that appear to be bulging

It does boot up fine though, just finished installing Windows XP and it ran through a few 3dfx demos successfully (using a Voodoo3 3000 AGP card) but it does seem to have issues when I have more than one stick of RAM installed, should I also change out the little squat capacitors that are around the DIMM slots even though they appear fine?

And did I pick up the proper capacitors, I pretty much went by what they had in stock that was closest to size, temp, voltage and uF ratings but should I have also looked at low ESR ratings as well?

Attached Files

Re: First time recapping a motherboard, need advice!

what make and series are those?

Comment

There is a picture at end end too stj, it shows those are FR and FS caps.
      Hard to tell what the original crap is but I can't imagine these causing problems.
      Since this is a pretty old board I think they will be a excellent replacement.
      And yes, I would replace those skinny super low caps.
      That is just out of previous experience:
      I have never seen such special caps fare good in the long run...
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Gwynz View Post
        noticed it had a leaking cap and a few others that appear to be bulging
        yea replacing the whole set of caps that are grouped together is a good idea because if one goes, the rest will follow soon after.
        it does seem to have issues when I have more than one stick of RAM installed, should I also change out the little squat capacitors that are around the DIMM slots even though they appear fine?
        those little caps with a Y vent and three notches are teapos. they are junk and dont belong on motherboards and in psus, they are barely acceptable. replace those as well.
        And did I pick up the proper capacitors, I pretty much went by what they had in stock that was closest to size, temp, voltage and uF ratings but should I have also looked at low ESR ratings as well?
        panny fr and fs series are great very low esr series caps for recapping p3 and p4 boards. u did pick the right cap series indeed. caps for motherboards must be at least low esr rated.

Comment

Yes, they should be low-ESR as well. Most capacitors on motherboards are typically low-ESR.

Comment

Working...
          X