Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LCD or CRT

Hi All

CRT is what I am using at the moment 17" (21" has a fault)

I prefer CRT but only cause TFT are still a bit on the pricey side for a large quality one.
    (in Australia)
    Graphics industry still tends to use CRT's but I suppose soon this will change as TFT/LCD's get better in that area

I am a bit of a gamer so like CRT rather then a cheap LCD.

I did a bit of googling few weeks back and come on a post about 17" LCD
    the jist of which was saying that the manufactures in order to cheapen the supply are using cheaper panels (less quality)
    so I suppose that is something now that will happen.

Would I use a TFT/LCD?
    Yep!
    if I could get one that did what I wanted
    I would have no problems at all using one.

On the odd laptop I have seen some really nice displays....
    (some crappy ones thought too)

On the service side of things...well I suppose Ideally LCD should last longer but when I was repairing them they just loved to blow there inverters and the panels would go too...

Like the idea they weigh a lot less and
    don't take up as much room on a desk.

Bit off topic here
    -----------------
    oddly enough looking at the TV side of things...most of what I have seen in shops...I hate them, LCD or Plasma......ok you cant get a CRT screen as big but even the small ones dont look right so yeah rather a good CRT here...
    (maybe this is because of the resolution, or possibly crappy feed video to them .....don't know)

Go figure?

anyway just my thoughts on them

Cheers
    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

All CRT. I like having monitors I can drop and not worry about it.

I've also spent a grand total of $0.00 USD for monitors in my lifetime, and gotten several decent 17"s and a good 19" out of it, all CRT of course.
      You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
      Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Been using Trinitrons for years, but I think my next monitor will be an LCD, as long as it beats my current 24" Sony GDM-FW900, both in size and picture quality.

CRT Pros are contrast ratio (better blacks than LCD, more color range), cheaper price, and the ability to use ANY resolution without fonts looking funny.

LCD are nice for the light weight, low power, razor sharp picture at native resolution, and most have good brightness. What kills it for me is the native resolution is all that can really look good, and they don't do total black (bad for dark scenes in games/pictures/movies), plus they still cost too much for a good quality, large display. And then the occasional issue of dead pixels.

What scares me about LCD in general, is no longer will I be able to pick a monitor/tv out of the trash, use the tube to fix another monitor/tv, and get several more years out of it. I do this at work with arcade games all the time. New arcade monitors cost $180-$1,000+ depending on size and resolution. I've probably replaced over 40 tubes since I started working there. Though sometimes it's hard to find tubes that will converge properly with the original deflection yoke.
        Last edited by Maxxarcade; 04-06-2007, 08:53 PM.

Comment

i do ths same here.
          dead tube in a cherrymaster.
          pick up walmart cheapie tv from curb.
          happy customer.
          have a centipede with a sick tube too.
          seems the chungwha(toshiba copy) a48 tubes work best in those.

Comment

I have good luck with Chungwa tubes in the 14" VGA monitors for touchscreen games as well. They last quite a while too.

The ones that get replaced most often are the 25" and 27" Zenith tubes from the mid 1990's. The guns are always dead. The RCA tubes on the 19" Electrohome and Wells monitors seem to run forever. That was back when RCA made decent stuff. Philips tubes seem to be in the middle.

Pic shows an old RCA tube with 200,000+ hours on it that still worked great, had to change it out because of the burn. I remember posting that here in the past sometime too. Try to get that life out of an LCD before that backlight quits or the caps go bad Of course I recapped the chassis on this one too, after 20+ years.
            Attached Files

Comment

only way to find a good a68act11x is to order it from vdc
              bad tubes is what bankrupted zenith.

Comment

Same goes for the A63ADG25X and others. I think they all shared similar gun assemblies.

Not sure what happened to them, the ones they made in the early 80's weren't too bad.

Comment

Working...
                X