Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-7VRXP pics

Here are some pictures from my Gigabyte GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0

It has an xp2000+ with 512MB DDR333. I was experiencing lock ups and random restarts. When I tried to re-install the OS I kept getting stop errors.

What are the chances that these bad caps could have damaged the processor/ram/video card? I want to recap and reuse, but it might just make more sense to upgrade. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: GA-7VRXP pics

As it's not completely dead, recap it - it should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
      As it's not completely dead, recap it - it should work fine.
      Do the bad capacitors ever damage any of the components(CPU/RAM/Video)?

Comment

Your computer is still working fine, just very unstable, therefore it is very unlikely that the capacitors managed to damage anything. A recap is significantly cheaper than buying a new computer. So if your computer currently satisfies you (that is does everything you want and need from it) then a recap would be highly recommended.

Oh and upgrading from a Socket A based system is now tough, I know because I am in the same boat .

Comment

Usually they do not (mainly because the system becomes too unstable to run for long enough for the system to get damaged), having said this bad capacitors can eventually kill the MOSFET's on the motherboard, if these fail there is a good chance that your CPU can get toasted. There is also a good chance that other chips on the motherboard will be toast after that too. Usually it does not go as far as damage video cards and ram thou.

Faulty capacitors in a power supply however can kill the whole system, everything from hard drives to motherboards and all. Usually a bad power supply will cause failure to the motherboard capacitors and from there eventually kill everything if it has been running for long enough. Hard drives and other devices that directly get power from the power supply will also be affected.

Therefore it is a good measure to check out the power supply as well and check if that has bad capacitors in it too. If it has bad capacitors than replace them too. Or get a new one (if it is a bad power supply that is not worth fixing).
          Last edited by shadow; 06-17-2007, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Recap now!

If its only freezing and BOSD.

they look like GSC and are know bad caps...a lot of Gigabytes had them.

I had a GA7-ZXE like here exact same issue its running fine on a recap did the same as willawake.
            Panasonic FM series capacitors.

My other Gigabyte (here) has good caps.

Its working fine.....I would as advised check the PSU and Be careful doing so.

if you dont know how to recap and you are worried you might damage it you can send it out....but depends on were you are located.

Gigabytes seem to be OK MB's so its worth it if you are happy with it.
            (well lest wise the older ones)

if you want caps and are in the USA topcats your man

if you use Saxmons, for the rest of the world see Bigpope another forum member.
            saxmon are cheaper and other low ESR caps can be hard to find at times.

if it was me I would recap but its up to you

Cheers
            Last edited by starfury1; 06-17-2007, 07:04 PM. Reason: U know me spelling and proof reading lol
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

its is possible that ram can be damaged. that said mine still goes fine with the same stick
              To minimized the chances of secondary damage
              don't use it till its recapped
              As you are finding, its useless now because of the caps causing reboots etc
              and until its recapped it wont be.

They are probably 3300uf 6V3 GSC (I think not sure maybe 10mm diameter)
              crap caps

I would replace those two green and gold ones as well.
              (not sure what they are but one looks a little domed )
              I think they are the VRM input filter caps and most likely 1500 uF 6V3
              but could well be wrong on that

HTH
              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Poor voltage regulation definitely can/will damage memory modules, why risk your components either replace the board OR recap it as already suggest above
                Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I'd definitely recap that bugger. Odds are everything else is fine. Heck, this one old P3 system got hit by lightning which instantaneously severely vented several caps and blew the top off one of them. Recapped it with some spare caps I had around here and what do you know, it works! CPU, RAM, gfx card were all fine

Comment

Working...
                  X