Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VB50HRTV

Hello everyone!

I have a Viewsonic VB50HRTV Television tuner that connects to the RGB port on my computer monitor to make it a tv. Lately it's been kind of finicky and I'm wondering if it might be bad caps.

I. The Symptoms
    1. When first turned on, it will turn on and then off after about a second. It does this about the first three times I hit the power button, then it will stay on.
    2. Once it is on there is no sound and the volume bar is all garbled. It looks like the bar goes past the normal maximum volume. When I hit the volume down key, and the bar gets back into the normal range, the sound comes back and everything is fine until I turn it off again.

II. Stuff I've looked at
    1. I let it stay unplugged for a week to see if it would clear the memory, but nothing changed. It even still remembered my channel labels, I think the data must be stored in flash.
    2. I opened up the case and found no less than 34 GSC capacitors in there. None of them appear to be bulging in any way, so maybe they're still ok?

So I guess the main question is do you think that this could be a cap problem, or something else. Also, if anyone knows where I can find service information, let me know as it would be a great help as I'd really like to fix this problem.

Thanks!

Dan

Re: Viewsonic VB50HRTV

1) Sounds like bad caps. Might be in the tuner itself or in the power supply.

Comment

Well I ordered some Panasonic FC capacitors to replace the originals, so hopefully that will fix it! Ill make a post once it's finished to let you all know the result.

Dan

Comment

GSC = Goddamn Shitty Capacitors

or Godawful if you prefer.

I can't stand to see them in anything.

Comment

Working...
        X