Lifetime of RAM connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifetime of RAM connectors

Anyone know what the average lifetime (insert/remove cycles) of RAM sockets is? I have a couple systems that are used for testing, and I'm concerned about wearing out the RAM slots from repeated use. I already have a board with worn out PS/2 connectors.

And I'm curious what non-server chipsets/boards support registered RAM. I know the Shuttle AK31 supposedly did, but I never tried it.

Re: Lifetime of RAM connectors

I have yet to wear out any memory sockets. Even old boards' sockets work fine. Those PS2 sockets tend to wear out more for whatever reason.

BTW, if you need replacement PS2 sockets I have a set here you can have for the cost of shipping + $1 for gas to the PO They are used but in good condition, the sockets look practically brand new.
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-06-2007, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Good question...IDK. But one could use a cleaner, conductant, lubricant like http://www.deoxit.com/

Comment

My test stick of PC133 and PC3200 have been in many hundreds of boards.... still good. I can see the marks on the tabs from all the insertions and removals, still no problems.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

If you do have issues, try going over the traces with a soft pencil eraser. It's helped me out a couple times.

(edit: 350)
          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Originally posted by Shroomie
            If you do have issues, try going over the traces with a soft pencil eraser. It's helped me out a couple times.

(edit: 350)
            Or a fiberglass pencil, which works better than a eraser.

Comment

the gold is real thin on most contacts.
              i use a deoxit pen.much safer.

Comment

I was actually referring to the motherboard sockets, not the ram contacts. But I usually just use a bit of denatured alcohol to clean those. I also have some CAIG Pro-Gold that I use of there is evidence of corrosion.

Comment

Pro-Gold is not a cleaner. It will not remove oxidation.
                  I use Pro-Gold on all battery contacts..Stuff really works.

Comment

I used it on an RJ11 connector for a cheap security camera that had been exposed to the weather and corroded. I was constantly having problems with it, but after I put Pro-Gold on it, it never had issues again, even after getting rained on for months

Comment

Working...
                    X