OT (?): storing disks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT (?): storing disks

I keep a lot of offline media. Lately, the number of 3.5" disks has been increasing at an alarming rate (I place limits on the sizes of spindles that I will support so this means my data density is "fixed", per "disk unit").

I keep many of the drives to which I may need frequent access in SAS shelfs. But, there's a lot that are just sitting on a closet shelf (i.e., not accessed often).

Anyone have any favorite "right sized" boxes/containers that neatly fit say 10 or 12 drives (more than this gets to be a bit heavy)?

The prepaid USPS "shoebox" is almost a good size for drives in Dell "server sleds" but way too big for bare drives. And, most of the plastic storage boxes (e.g., Sterlite) have rounded corners which make them poor fits for the squared edges of disk drives. So, I figure cardboard is the only real choice...

Re: OT (?): storing disks

people i know just stack them 4-5high or on their sides in shelves.

Comment

Wal Mart/home Depot have plastic tote bins . You should be able to find some about the rite size.

Comment

Originally posted by desert-rat View Post
        Wal Mart/home Depot have plastic tote bins . You should be able to find some about the rite size.
        I use these sometimes, drive in ESD bag and diag report printout stuffed in with the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          people i know just stack them 4-5high or on their sides in shelves.
          Far too many (or, far too little shelf space). I need to put them in boxes that I can place (stack!) on the floor, under a bed, etc.

I keep at least two copies of everything (music, software, clipart, loops, books/technical reports, etc.). Plus, a copy of every "system image" when I finish projects for clients (so I can restore the system year(s) later when they request some change or enhancement to the design, board layout, etc.)

I probably have close to 200 drives "in use" (almost 100 "mounted" and ready to spin up).

Disk space is cheap. But, space for disks isn't!

Comment

Originally posted by desert-rat View Post
            Yes, I took a trip there before posting (hence the "Sterlite" reference). I found a nice little case that can hold 7 drives on their sides (I affix an adhesive label to the side to tell me the size, contents, PoH, etc. so this makes it easy to read ALL of their labels)

But, the containers have rounded corners, a "bulging" top cover and wide "lips" (maybe to make them easier to carry?) so end up oversized (the drives can slosh around -- not a snug fit). As such, there's a fair bit of wasted space (volume).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eCcAA...4RA/s-l640.jpg

[Obsessed with storing things in as small a volume as possible as "indoor" storage space is at a premium (few closets, no basement, no attic and garage way too hot to store electronics -- let alone risk of black widows, scorpions, etc. crawling into boxes: "Surprise!")]

I raided the "box dumpster" at one of the local hospitals (it pays to have friends in low places :> ) and found some boxes that were used for some sort of medical supplies (trach tubes?). They look like they will hold 10 drives (on their sides) with a "hinged flap" cover. A bit taller than the drives are wide (risk of that excess heigt being crushed when they are stacked) so I'll have to cut some cardboard to place under the drives -- to bring them flush with the top of the box.

Then, head back next week to see if they've received a new shipment of whatever the hell was packed in those boxes originally!

Comment

I have something similar to this, but just one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Drive-...p2047675.l2557

used it for some drives lying around. Putting some 2x2.5" in a slot too
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                I have something similar to this, but just one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Drive-...p2047675.l2557

used it for some drives lying around. Putting some 2x2.5" in a slot too
                Ooooh! Yummy! But, dropping $10 for each is a bit pricey.

My current solution:
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X