Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nichicon RS Series capacitors

Greetings,

I've got Asus K7N8X-X motherboard. It has popped capacitors in the Video Card area. They are Nichicon 6.3V 3300uF 105C HM Series H0345.

I don't really need this motherboard, but I still want to recap it. I've got Nichicon 16V 3300uF RS Series H0912. They look exactly the same, only difference is HM were black and these new RS are green.

So my question is whether RS is a good replacement for HM. I know they may be not military spec but that's all I could find for 3300uF

Thanks!

Re: Nichicon RS Series capacitors

Nichicon HM is a low-ESR capacitor. RS is general purpose. So, no RS is not a good replacement for HM.

Nichicon HM has the following specs for ripple and esr, which are important when selecting a replacement motherboard capacitor.
    ESR: 12 mΩ
    Ripple: 2800 mA

When selecting a replacement, you want a cap with the same or less ESR, and the same or more ripple. RS 16V 3300uF only has 1460 mA ripple, and are much larger than the HM so they may not fit.

According to the datasheet, RS 16V 3300uF are 18x15mm in size. HM are 10x25. If your RS are the same size as your HM, they may be counterfeit.

It just so happens that the owner of badcaps.net sells Rubycon MBZ in the right value and are a perfect replacement:
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=30

Nichicon HM from before 2005 had a manufacturing defect causing them to fail. Your capacitors are from 2003 (H0345 = 2003, week 45). Given that your capacitors are from the time when they were known to be bad, be sure to replace all the HM on the board. Even those that have not failed yet may do so at any time, or may have failed internally without showing any external signs.

Comment

New stock HM is also a good replacement for the older, defective HM on your motherboard.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Elaboration.
        Nichicon HM and HN made from 2001 thru 2004 were defective.
        The "H0345" makes yours from week 45 of 2003 - they are bad.
        Simply getting new ones of the the same would fix it.
        Sanyo WG, Rubycon MBZ or MCZ, or Panasonic FL or FJ will also do it.
        You should be able to get Rubycons right here.
        https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=22
        Beware of eBay. Lots of counterfeits there. [And I mean LOTS!]
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

You might want to replace any OST that are over 5mm diameter.
          They like to fail with no bloating and they are one of Asus's favorite caps.
          - Same same with Chemicon KZG or KZJ.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
            You might want to replace any OST that are over 5mm diameter.
            They like to fail with no bloating and they are one of Asus's favorite caps.
            - Same same with Chemicon KZG or KZJ.
            So basically I have to resolder all caps on this motherboard No, not worth it - it's just an old socket A. In fact I already put these fake RS Nichicons on it. I got them at Sayal, it's a pretty famous store for components in Toronto area, I didn't expect them to sell fake capacitors. Oh well, never stop learning I guess...

According to Nichicon Datasheets RS series has to be fat and short (18x15mm), when mine are skinny and tall (10x29mm). Also, RS only goes to 85 degrees, when mine say 105C. So they are 100% fake, Nichicon doesn't make these capacitors. Buyer beware!

Attachment: In the top part you can see original HM series (not bloated yet), in the centre - fake "Nichicon RS" series.
            Attached Files

Comment

Haha Sayal...

See this thread of mine where I show the fake capacitors I got from them:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12324

Just so you know the HN and HM I show in the picture there are the fake ones I got from them. Some of their old stock is not fake, but they don't have any real Low ESR. They've got other great stuff though. I picked up an amazing tinkerers screwdriver set with every bit you can imagine for $6.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I know this is an old thread so I apologize if I'm breaking any rules posting here but, being new, I'm unable to post one of my own and am hoping I can still get help.

I have an Xbox 1.6 with these same (I think) Nichicon Caps.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/uh...pd1td/nichicon

Of course, they're not available any longer and the Rubycon replacements here aren't either:

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=30

I think I've found a possible replacements here but, they only sell in bulk (800 units)

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...25S-ND/1927448

I also found 2-4 replacements at Arrow but, they have different

IR - (mA)
                IL - (uA)
                Lifetime - (h

https://www.arrow.com/en/categories/...oltage:6.3VDC;

The Nichicon is listed at the bottom for reference, along with 3 others above it. Two are available for sale and one is via quote. You can horizontal scroll to see the slight variations in those points listed above (IR, IL Lifetime etc.)

I also found this one but, it too is slightly different:

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/uhw0j332mpd/nichicon

Will any of these work?
                How do the difference in these three variables play out in regards to compatibility?

Thank you!

Comment

I picked up a reply or two in this thread as well:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63792

Note: didn't realize I needed to subscribe to a thread to get notifications and therefore didn't know I had some replies there until after I posted here. Sorry about that! Should have check there first but, what's done is done at this point, I suppose.

Comment

forget electrolytics - go back to your xbox post.

Comment

Working...
                    X