Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2007WFP Constant On/Off

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here and I have to say this site is quite awesome for the amount of information I could find.

To my problem, I have a Dell 2007WFP and it is constantly turning on and off. Occasionally it works for a couple minutes without flashing and sometimes it stays in sleep mode for a while then comes back and so on.

The pictures of the boards are similar to here
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10658

To you experts, what are your thoughts about this problem? If a cap is bad, how can I find it??

Thanks!

Re: Dell 2007WFP Constant On/Off

Nevermind :P
    I actually found a cap with leaks (white stuff coming out). Should've done more research before posting.

Comment

White is usually glue holding down components. A leak will be from the top vent or out the bottom, often rust-like or black. It's best to post high-quality pictures of your boards. Attach them with the Manage Attachments button.

Comment

Attached the suspect.
        Is this glue or leak?

Thanks for the reply.
        Attached Files

Comment

Glue.

Comment

Nice picture! That's glue, and there's probably a component underneath it. Those Elite capacitors are a known bad brand, but probably not to blame for the monitor not working.

Please give more detail about what the monitor does. When it goes "off", does the power light stay on? Can you see a dim image by angling a flashlight or sunlight at the screen?

Please take pictures of the rest of the boards, top and bottom, and post them.

Comment

thanks for the help, thought I had an easy one.

When the monitor goes off, I meant it goes into sleep mode. When it constantly goes on and off, I meant that the screen goes off and the next second Dell logo pops out. This loop continues with a random interval.

Attached the pictures.

What do you guys think and where should I start?

Thanks.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi, this sounds EXACTLY like my problem with the same monitor.
                I can say for sure that its Power that keeps cutting in and out. the power LED does not go orange, it goes from green to off, it cycles like this over and over. approximately 30 seconds On, then 5 minutes off. splashes the DELL logo, and we start all over again.

it looks like nothing has happened with this post lately. I'd like help!!

Comment

For starters, if you have a multimeter with aligator clips, clip the leads onto the large capacitor 180uF 450V and arrange the boards so that nothing shorts out (use cardboard as insulator if required).

When the power led goes on/off, see if the large capacitor DC voltage readings drop or not. If you are in North America, it should be a constant 165 V DC.

If you have min/max feature on the multimeter, now would be a good time to use it.

Warning, this is high voltage and you are measuring the hot side which is why I'm recommending aligator clips.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Last year I had some problem . i resolder invertor tranformer, high voltage side component and suround area , working fine try now i hope this will help u>

Comment

Good suggestion on resoldering the various components. Try that BEFORE measuring the high voltage cap. It will be a lot safer and easier to do.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

See my recent thread > https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17913

Similar off/on loop of Dell logo/Power LED. been working fine now for 8-9 days.
                        System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
                          See my recent thread > https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17913

Similar off/on loop of Dell logo/Power LED. been working fine now for 8-9 days.
                          Sometimes, I can't put 2 + 2 together.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions, upon visual inspection, nothing looks bad. the caps all look healthy and so do the solder points. but Ill start with klkmaliks suggestion.

I read through dumpystigs post, but what I got out of it was that you changed all the caps, and then re-soldered all the joints and it worked. Im not as practiced at soldering as many of you are and am concerned I'll do more damage than good but Im gonna try.

PS: I took pictures and then realized I could probably just refer to the ones already on this thread. I assume this issue resides on the power supply board so thats where I am going to focus my efforts. The one board has me stumpted in regards to its purpose, I think its also power. picture IMG_0193.

Comment

ING_193 is inverter board, re read this by Dumpystig

Comment

I've just updated my thread...
                                System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

hey Dumpystig. Just to make sure Im on the same page, my definition of reflow is just to heat the existing solder on a pad until its melted, and then allow it to cool again. hoping that if there was a poor contact, it will be fixed.

If thats about right, then I reflowed all the chunky components, and replaced all the caps. on the power board.

no change.

Comment

Sorry about the late reply.

Yep, you're nearly there, but whilst heating each joint add a small amount of fresh solder. Let us know where you're up to with the monitor now.

Comment

Having the same issue as well. I reflowed all the major components with no luck. I haven't done the small smd on the back of the board. Did you ever resolve your issue?

Comment

I haven't. but I haven't had time, Ive been busy with christmas, then on business trips, then my hdd crashed and I had to make that the priority to recover. (which was successful!!)

I still need to reflow more components :S

Comment

Working...
                                        X