Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a sign??

Hello Everyone,

I assembled a media center PC for my bedroom about 3 weeks ago and it has been acting up alot since the day I put it together.

The PC has this problem where it keeps coming up with BSODs. Strange problem is that everytime it's a different error??

These are the errors which have come up today:

*STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x8056558E, 0xB9BCF00C, 0x00000000)

*STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE0, 0X00000000, 0x804E8E00, 0x00000000)
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

*STOP: 0x000000D3 (0x00000AFC, 0x00000002, 0X00000000, 0x804DBC81)

*STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF7E52372, 0XF6AEEB28, 0xF6AEEE824)
    ALCXSENS.SYS - Address F7E52372 base at F7E10000, Datestamp 3F7E4BD1

*STOP: 0x0000007F (0x000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x0000000)

*STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC0000005, 0x805AF32, 0xF6BBB8E4, 0x00000000)

*STOP: 0xFFFFFC80, 0x00000000, 0xF7E52118, 0x00000000)

ALCXSENS.SYS - Address F7E521D8 base at F7E10000, Datestamp 3F7E4BD1

Ok, now that was a lot of typing.

Here are my system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SG800 SiS648 chipset. I just bought this board from my friend 3 weeks ago for $20. He didn't needed so I offered him some cash for it.
    All the caps on it are Rubycon MBZ and there is one 1500uf 6.3V KZG. But there is a lightly dented 1500uf 16V Rubycon cap.... there's no electrolypte leaking though, so I think it should be OK.
    Around the CPU are 2x MBZ 3300uf 6.3V, in other areas it is eithe 1500uf 16V or 8mm 1000uf 6.3V.

CPU: Intel Celeron 2.00GHz, socket 478, Northwood core I think??

RAM: PJH Generic 512MB DDR400

Power Supply: Tsumori (Generic) "400W" caps are all OK last time I checked.

*3.3V = 3.188 > 3.200
    *12V = 11.70 > 11.80
    *5V = </= 5.050V
    *VCore = 1.550V

Thats what the Gigabyte Easytune 4 software told me when I checked health status.

Optical Drives: LG GCE-8526B 52x32x52 CD burner and Creative DVD-2240E DXR2 DVD-ROM

Floppy Drive: Teac 1.44MB 3.5" FDD

Graphics card: Winfast Titanium, Nvidia GF3 Ti200, AGP 4X. Nvidia Forceware 84.21 drivers installed.

HDD: Seagate ST317221A 17.2GB IDE HDD.

Bad news is that it even restarts when I try to load the PC up in safe mode.

Is this a sign that my system is starting to say goodbye and die very soon or did I install something wrongly??

I'm stumped. My hard drive is still fine, no bad sectors etc. It has been very reliable for the last 5 years or so. I also refomatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows XP but the problems are still there.

I reformat it the other day and it still acted up after the installation process. Through the reinstallation of Windows XP process everything was fine. no freezes or restarts. Maybe because the weather was cold at only 15 degrees celcius??

At the moment room temperature is only about 25 degrees celcius.... maybe warmer weather makes the PC act up?

There was a spot of sticky stuff (2mm diameter). The sticky stuff was probably sugar or similar. I cleaned it up with a spot of water on a cotton bud.

The CMOS battery was removed when the small area was cleaned and the board was left to dry under a fan.... but it has exhibited these issues since I got it.... so it wasn't the sticky spot or the water.

At the moment it is running Windows Media player and playing some music.... it is also running a visualization so that I can check for any graphics corruption etc..... i'm just waiting for it to freeze again.

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 05-05-2007, 06:25 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Is this a sign??

did you check the ram?

ALCXSENS.SYS is ac97 driver component. can you try another onboard sound driver or try another soundcard for a while to see if it stops crashing
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
      did you check the ram?
      The RAM came from my fathers media center PC which runs on a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000-G motherboard.

His PC is flawless and never crashes even when my brother take his PC out for a gaming session so I guess that the RAM is still OK.
      The RAM stick is still under warranty so If it is actually bad, i'll bring it back to the store....

Originally posted by willawake
      ALCXSENS.SYS is ac97 driver component. can you try another onboard sound driver or try another soundcard for a while to see if it stops crashing
      I don't think it is actually a driver problem but more a hardware failure somewhere because the PC still restarts in safe mode when no onboard audio drivers are loaded. I don't think any drivers including the graphics drivers are loaded in safe mode because I cant get to any resolution higher than 640x480, 16 bit colour.... and also my USB keyboard and mouse don't work in Safe Mode.

Thanks.
      Last edited by stevo1210; 05-05-2007, 06:45 AM.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Investigate that PSU further. The PC Health monitor doesn't update fast enough to see if the ripple is off the scale. You would need to check it with a scope to know for sure.

Post pics of the guts of the PSU

If the PSU is indeed good, reinstall the AC97 driver, they can cause problems. I had random errors like the ones you describe happen on a customer's PC a couple years ago, it was a wild goose chase for two weeks until one of the AC97 drivers was mentioned in the BSOD. Reinstalling the driver cured it.

I'd reinstall the chipset and graphics driver just for good measure. Download the latest ones from the chipset manufacturer.

Run Memtest86, if it passes 10 passes, the RAM is likely good. Run chkdsk, have it scan for bad blocks and automatically fix errors.

EDIT: I just read the last post..... I agree, it's probably hardware! It could be a bad windows install or a bit of malicious code, but I'd look at the hardware first.
        Last edited by hardwareguy; 05-05-2007, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I suspect the RAM. Inspect the DIMM slots, I had trouble with an SIS board using that chipset. Random BSODs at start up. Couldn't log in user.
          Only change was additional RAM.

As mentioned, run Memtest86+.

Is the BIOS up to date? Set to default settings?

Next, suspect the PSU.
          “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
          We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

I just bought a new stick of Kingston ValueRAM 512MB DDR400. I also updated the audio drivers to the latest edition.

So far the computer hasn't crashed at all.... I have to see how long it holds up for.
            Upon inspecting the motherboard, I also discovered that the old owner was a bit careless and decided to yank the IDE cable out on an angle. As a result, the IDE pins on the edges are bent off a little. The cables can still be plugged in but with some force. Is there some way to strighten the pins out?? I don't want to break the pins and have to buy a new motherboard....

Thanks.

Comment

yeah you can use mini pliers
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

i would still look at the psu.
                might be a "gutless wonder"
                too many oddball brands out there with big numbers on the label and nothing inside to back it up.

Comment

I finally took apart the PSU in the system to take some photos and it looks very hollow in there....

Does anyone know who makes this PSU?? it's a re-branded one so I am guessing it is a Deer PSU.... but i am probably wrong because my sample Deer power supply looks completely different in terms of PCB components layout.

Theres a web URL on the PCB of the PSU but I can't see it through all the wires everywhere.

Is this PSU still safe or should I just go and buy a new PSU?? Apparently that 500g (estimation) PSU pumps out 400W.... I kind of doubt it.... my Dell 300W PSU already weighs 1.8KG on the scale....

This PSU has been in use for about 3 years now.... It was originally taken from a P4 3.2Ghz system since the owner of the system upgraded to a Thermaltake 430W PSU.

Thanks.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by stevo1210; 06-28-2007, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Doesn't like look DEER. Looks like 200-250W PSU.

Comment

Working...
                    X