Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Still Make Decent Money Repairing Flatscreen TVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Still Make Decent Money Repairing Flatscreen TVs?

I used to fix TVs, with the help of this forum, several years ago.

I made a decent profit on each TV, when I was successful in the repair. If I wasn't successful, I put the parts up on Ebay, and did well there too.

But since the TV prices have been coming down so drastically, is there any more margin these days, to still make a decent profit fixing these things?

Thanks for any advice!

Paul.

Re: Can You Still Make Decent Money Repairing Flatscreen TVs?

As others have mentioned in past posts, if you expect to make any money reselling TVs, then you would have to concentrate on name brand sets with big screens with some of the latest features. Sure, these type of sets are hard to come by and can be a PITA to repair, especially if needs a board replacement, which can cost $$$$ and make it not worth repairing.

Still, others will say it depends on what area you live in. And I'm sure there's a few members out there still making money repairing and reselling TVs. Especially, those folks that can get broken sets for free.

Some others are making money repairing TV boards at the component level (see eBay). However, this generally requires specialized equiptment and knowledge.

Comment

My wife and I are retired and I got a good hobby and made grocery money for a few years. Now however I don't bother with plasma sets as they (and me) getting too old. Also, don't bother with anything under 40" unless a simple fix - new 32" here in Oz $180/190 for cheapies. Other sets are relatively cheap - recently saw new 65" for $699. As to fixing them parts and info hard to come by. Nowadays I tinker only and now and then make an easy $100. End of this month is an annual cleanup day for our area and dud TVs will be out for the taking. My sets other than a couple have always been free and often people bringing them around or messaging me to pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
        Now however I don't bother with plasma sets as they (and me) getting too old.
        I dread when my plasma dies. I was at someone's house recently watching the Jack Ryan movie and it looked absolutely horrible on a LED TV. The main characters looked like they were in a daytime soap opera show.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The soap opera effect is caused by motion smoothing video processing. You can turn this processing off or put the tv into movie mode (make sure the backlights arent at max). Google soap opera effect for your tv brand since the manufacturers all have different names for their processing features.

Comment

Working...
          X