This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

And a pair of 60AHr gel cells that appear to have taken a good charge overnight! They'll go well in the electric wheelbarrow!

Comment

I think the CMOS battery is still good due to the D&T being set to 10/10/19(or yesterday when i'm writing this) when i finally got into settings yesterday.

I was able to boot this to OS (Windows XP), so i think this PC (or motherboard) is good.
      Last edited by RukyCon; 10-11-2019, 02:07 PM.
      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
        I think the CMOS battery is still good due to the D&T being set to 10/10/19(or yesterday when i'm writing this) when i finally got into settings yesterday.
        Don't assume the battery is good just because the CMOS date/time is correct.
        I've seen it before (and in fact have one PC in the closet like this with a dying CR2032 battery) where the motherboard still retains some CMOS settings even with a dying battery, but can sporadically "forget" certain settings once in a while. This can cause all kinds of issues at boot. In my case, it doesn't cause issues at boot, as the OC settings and memory settings are still remembered. But the time and date are sometimes "lagging" behind a few days/hours and my boot device order reverts to default occasionally. Battery voltage is at 1.9V , so no surprises why it does this.

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
        I was able to boot this to OS (Windows XP), so i think this PC (or motherboard) is good.
        Yes, it very likely is. These older Dell PCs have very well built Foxconn motherboards with reliable chipsets - nothing to go wrong on them really.
        Last edited by momaka; 10-12-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

More dumpster stuff:

MSI G31TM-P21 w/ Pentium E5500
          "Spacer" headphones that need work
          slim PS2 that looks like it came from Shrek's swamp
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
            More dumpster stuff:

MSI G31TM-P21 w/ Pentium E5500
            "Spacer" headphones that need work
            slim PS2 that looks like it came from Shrek's swamp
            Photos of the PS2 please?
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
              Photos of the PS2 please?
              I already cleaned it so I could plug it in safely, sorry. Didn't think of taking a pic of it before. (I usually don't take pictures of stuff)
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

This weekend:

-$25: Acer Veriton VL4260G USFF. No power cord, but I am assured that it runs (some jackass stole the cord off the shelf, and they dropped the price from $60 accordingly). Will setup with windows 10 pro, and then use at Church as 3rd AV PC (mostly for slideshows, but also for anything that the Macs can't handle). The biggest feature for this specific application is that it has multiple video outs, and that one of them is a DVI-I that can be used with the VGA (5 BNC) Video switch natively.

-$30: Hanns G H281D 28" 1920x1200 LCD. At bit more than I would normally spend on a 2009 made display (especially a "low end" 2007 model)... but it's f*cking 28"! Almost too big to be usable. Now I need to figure out what to do with the 24" 1080 it replaced...
                Last edited by ratdude747; 10-13-2019, 04:46 PM. Reason: bad acer model number
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  This weekend:

-$25: Acer Veriton VL4260G USFF. No power cord, but I am assured that it runs (some jackass stole the cord off the shelf, and they dropped the price from $60 accordingly). Will setup with windows 10 pro, and then use at Church as 3rd AV PC (mostly for slideshows, but also for anything that the Macs can't handle). The biggest feature for this specific application is that it has multiple video outs, and that one of them is a DVI-I that can be used with the VGA (5 BNC) Video switch natively.

-$30: Hanns G H281D 28" 1920x1200 LCD. At bit more than I would normally spend on a 2009 made display (especially a "low end" 2007 model)... but it's f*cking 28"! Almost too big to be usable. Now I need to figure out what to do with the 24" 1080 it replaced...
                  ... and the 28" monster needs TLC. Intermittently cutting out... cracked it open, the inverter board looks good, and most of the PSU does too (UCC caps everywhere, and not KZJ's or the like). But part of the PSU is taicons, and the entire control board is some other garbage brand. Hopefully a recap will fix it up.
                  sigpic

Comment

I use a pair of 2560x1600 30's on my "Software" and "Documentation" workstations. I discovered that three is just too "wide" -- you feel like you're watching a tennis match as you try to move your attention from one monitor to another (and another). And, stacking them vertically will give you neck cramps trying to take in the content on the top screen(s)! :<

[three works good for 24" monitors, though -- that's what I've opted for on the "CAD" and "EDA" workstations. But, stacking two high (six monitors) suffers from the same neck problems mentioned above]

In addition to the width, you also have to consider how the distance TO the screens varies. With three monitors, it's easier to keep the screen surfaces roughly the same focal distance from your eyes (approximate an arc with your eyes at the focus). Two larger monitors leaves you with more variation in distance-to-screen.

Of course, if your eyes are "young" and adaptable enough, you may never notice the difference. OTOH, when you want the screens close (so you can keep the display fonts small to exploit that real estate), the variation in distance becomes more of a PITA...

Comment

...Almost too big to be usable..
                      NEVER!

Try 30" @ 2560x1600....and 3 of them. VERY usable!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

-$30: Hanns G H281D 28" 1920x1200 LCD
                        ... and the 28" monster needs TLC. Intermittently cutting out... Hopefully a recap will fix it up.
                        Yup, bad caps is likely the issue with that monitor. If I remember correctly, some of the small "startup" caps in the PSU go bad. Also a few small caps on the logic boards can cause issue with image distortion and cutting out as well. I think these were C80 and C83 on the logic board, among others, that really need replacement, but you should change all of them just in case (only exception are the audio amp section - those can stay if you don't feel like doing the extra work there.)

There is an entire (and on-going) 43-page thread dedicated to this monitor model here:
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11329

... but to save you some reading, budm posted a fix with pix here:
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...893#post431893

Also some useful pictures from the big 43-page thread:
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1351012349
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1351012349
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...3&d=1353278543
                        Last edited by momaka; 10-13-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Yup, bad caps is likely the issue with that monitor. If I remember correctly, some of the small "startup" caps in the PSU go bad. Also a few small caps on the logic boards can cause issue with image distortion and cutting out as well. I think these were C80 and C83 on the logic board, among others, that really need replacement, but you should change all of them just in case (only exception are the audio amp section - those can stay if you don't feel like doing the extra work there.)

There is an entire (and on-going) 43-page thread dedicated to this monitor model here:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11329

... but to save you some reading, budm posted a fix with pix here:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...893#post431893

Also some useful pictures from the big 43-page thread:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1351012349
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1351012349
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...3&d=1353278543
                          My plan was to replace anything that was garbage brand, big or small.
                          sigpic

Comment

My plan was to replace anything that was garbage brand, big or small.
                            By far the best plan with these monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              Try 30" @ 2560x1600....and 3 of them. VERY usable!
                              How do you have them (physically) arranged?

I found that "in a line" the DIFFERENCES in the distance from my eyes to the nearest point (about 20") vs. the farthest point (almost 40"!) requires more "focal range" than my eyes can accommodate (at my age).

And, attempting to keep that distance roughly the same means I have to arrange them in a tight curve -- which means my neck is forever twisting to view either extreme.

Stacking them vertically changes the problem to up/down neck motion.

Limiting the 30's to just two keeps the focal range more constant -- 20" to ~25". This is acceptable (for me) as the workstations on which I have duals tend to have a single "main app" that can occupy one screen while the other is used for other tools that might be needed at the same time.

For the CAD and EDA workstations, there are usually two "main app" full-screen windows (e.g., schematic and PCB layout) in addition to any "other tools" that need display real estate. So, I have to downsize to 24's to use that much "screen space" comfortably. (2x2 and 2x3 arrays were only practical with even smaller displays as the vertical height becomes tedious to consult the top screens)

[There's lots of value in setting up "virtual" screens, though! I can flip to a second 1x2 (or 1x3) desktop for the really mundane utilities that are unrelated to the "main app" that I'm using -- e.g., a TELNET session to a remote server or FTP to push/pull files off of another box]

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                                How do you have them (physically) arranged?

I tried 2, and just never liked it. I hated looking straight ahead at the 'bezel break'. Naturally, I always favor the middle one...but with the side ones angled like that, theres really not that much head turning. There's not much showing on them in that pic, but typically there's a lot going...and I hate windows overlapping. This 3 monitor setup (all Dell u3011's) for a productivity system IMO is perfect!

I made an extension for the back of my desk, so they're not right in my face but not too far away. I have good vision....but last year my eye doc got me in reading glasses....I have to use them for working on electronics nowadays, but I do not need them to view these monitors.

Attached Files
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Well, heck. Trying to post has me baffled. So I am trying this. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    I tried 2, and just never liked it. I hated looking straight ahead at the 'bezel break'.
                                    Agreed.

Naturally, I always favor the middle one...but with the side ones angled like that, theres really not that much head turning.
                                    You have them farther away than I could comfortably read without squinting or increasing the size of the default display font (farther lets you reduce side to side motion when viewing). About 20" from eye to screen is my sweet spot. Farther than that and I start to squint. Much CLOSER than that and my eyes seem to "cross".

And, I need the room lighting to be comparable to the light thrown off by the displays. Else looking at something in the room and then at the display is a struggle for my eyes to adapt to the sudden intensity change.

There's not much showing on them in that pic, but typically there's a lot going...and I hate windows overlapping.
                                    I maximize my "main app" to fully consume one monitor. E.g., if I'm authoring a document, then that app eats one monitor. The second monitor will handle other apps that are related to that effort (e.g., a "drawing" app for me to prepare illustrations for the document or maybe a Math app to prepare graphs).

With maximized apps, finding overlaid windows is tedious -- hence the need for the second (or third) screen.

This 3 monitor setup (all Dell u3011's) for a productivity system IMO is perfect!
                                    That's how I have my CAD and EDA workstations set up. But, there I often have TWO "main apps" so need the increased screen space. It's manageable if I downsize to 24" monitors (I used to have 2x3 22" monitors but a maximized app was too small, IMO, and the top screens were too high for comfortable viewing).

[It's also a huge PITA to manage those 6 power cords and 12 video cables!]

I made an extension for the back of my desk, so they're not right in my face but not too far away. I have good vision....but last year my eye doc got me in reading glasses....I have to use them for working on electronics nowadays, but I do not need them to view these monitors.
                                    I used to be able to read the markings on DIPs that had fallen on the floor (without stooping over to pick them up). Now I need readers or a magnifying glass for stuff that small. And, if it's TOO close, then I have to close one eye in order to do even THAT! :<

[I refuse to wear glasses except for driving]

Anything beyond 4 ft used to "lose sharpness" (astigmatism). That's now probably closer to TWO feet.

[Getting old is not fun. It seems that ~50 is when you start noticing "differences" -- few are for-the-better!]
                                    Last edited by Curious.George; 10-16-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

oh shit TC, i would love to play a flight-sim on that rig!!

Comment

aye, i saved that pic of the three monitors to use as my desktop wallpaper. wish i had the money to get three pricey huge monitors like topcat! ah well... at least i can have a 3 pricey monitor picture on my single monitor to make me feel better about myself!! lol!

Comment

^ LOL.... FWIW, I didin't buy them new. They were all used/cheap scores.
                                          Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          oh shit TC, i would love to play a flight-sim on that rig!!
                                          I've had a few ask about some racing sims as well....
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X